• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jeremygo

Reaction score
Hi gents: Am invited to my first beach wedding and I'm lost. Wedding will be in Cancun at around 5pm in mid May. So, it will be toasty. The ceremony will be on the sand and the rest of the evening will be on a large wooden floor. For trousers, I have a pair of light ivory David Chu pants that will be perfect. I have a couple shirting options that are linen/cotton blends (white or light blue). Tie I can figure out. Jacket and shoes are my challenges. For a jacket, I only have blue (on the darkish side rather than light) light wool option. I was thinking of springing for a lighter color blend like this one:

As for shoes, I have either leather souled laceups/loafers, soft suede driver types or espadrilles (navy/tan/etc). I would love to wear a pair of suede unlined loafers (https://meermin.com/products/114414-copper-alicante-suede-e) but probably not the best idea.

Thoughts?
Drop93 just added some nice higher-end sport coats in spring/summer weight in the same ballpark price as that SuitSupply option!

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drop93 just added some nice higher-end sport coats in spring/summer weight in the same ballpark price as that SuitSupply option!

Thanks! Is there one in particular that grabbed your eye? Ring? Pre-owned?

Emospence

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this dove grey hopsack tie from Vanda as a wedding tie with a navy suit? I haven’t been wild about the traditional houndstooth/shepard check look and this seems like it could be a nice alternative.

I think it's nice. Also check out their Prince of Wales ties!

acconrad

Reaction score
Hi gents: Am invited to my first beach wedding and I'm lost. Wedding will be in Cancun at around 5pm in mid May. So, it will be toasty. The ceremony will be on the sand and the rest of the evening will be on a large wooden floor. For trousers, I have a pair of light ivory David Chu pants that will be perfect. I have a couple shirting options that are linen/cotton blends (white or light blue). Tie I can figure out. Jacket and shoes are my challenges. For a jacket, I only have blue (on the darkish side rather than light) light wool option. I was thinking of springing for a lighter color blend like this one:

As for shoes, I have either leather souled laceups/loafers, soft suede driver types or espadrilles (navy/tan/etc). I would love to wear a pair of suede unlined loafers (https://meermin.com/products/114414-copper-alicante-suede-e) but probably not the best idea.

Thoughts?
Ivory pants with a sky blue or green jacket would go well together. Something in a fresco wool.
Go with loafers

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ivory pants with a sky blue or green jacket would go well together. Something in a fresco wool.
Go with loafers

Thanks. Leather souled loafers acceptable for a beach wedding? I mean from a practicality pov

acconrad

Reaction score
If you’re on the beach you can swap for espadrilles. Off the actual beach I’d wear my loafers

jeremygo

Reaction score
Thanks. Leather souled loafers acceptable for a beach wedding? I mean from a practicality pov
The nice thing about loafers is they're very easy to take off and pour any gathered sand out! (mostly joking) But since you're just going to be sitting/watching the wedding on the sand I don't think it'd be a problem.

acconrad

Reaction score
I'm a guest for a wedding this weekend (summer in the US) and when I asked the groom (my close friend) for the dress code he just said "suit and tie." He has no wedding party but he's wearing a tux. It will be an outdoor wedding at his finacee's parent's home (outdoorsy, rural).

So... I'm assuming he means cocktail attire, but can't tell how formal because tux (formal) and outdoor rural (informal).

My plan is navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square, navy/blue two-tone OTC socks, black cap toe oxfords. I was going to wear a wedding tie in a black/white Shepherd's check but I'm wondering if that's too formal?

Does a wedding tie = a tie for a groom/groomsman? Or does a wedding tie mean "a tie to wear to a wedding"? I'm now wondering if I need to swap the shepherd's check for a navy grenadine (and is the navy grenadine tie too formal? Do I need a less formal tie?)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a guest for a wedding this weekend (summer in the US) and when I asked the groom (my close friend) for the dress code he just said "suit and tie." He has no wedding party but he's wearing a tux. It will be an outdoor wedding at his finacee's parent's home (outdoorsy, rural).

So... I'm assuming he means cocktail attire, but can't tell how formal because tux (formal) and outdoor rural (informal).

My plan is navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square, navy/blue two-tone OTC socks, black cap toe oxfords. I was going to wear a wedding tie in a black/white Shepherd's check but I'm wondering if that's too formal?

Does a wedding tie = a tie for a groom/groomsman? Or does a wedding tie mean "a tie to wear to a wedding"? I'm now wondering if I need to swap the shepherd's check for a navy grenadine (and is the navy grenadine tie too formal? Do I need a less formal tie?)

You are so overthinking this.....in my opinion.

He said "suit and tie". Wear a suit and tie.

I would spice my tie up a bit with something "summery" with color vs a standard/bland one. I would not wear a "wedding tie".

That's just me.

But what you are suggesting would work. Not anything special, in my opinion....but it works.

acconrad

Reaction score
You are so overthinking this.....in my opinion.

He said "suit and tie". Wear a suit and tie.

I would spice my tie up a bit with something "summery" with color vs a standard/bland one. I would not wear a "wedding tie".

That's just me.

But what you are suggesting would work. Not anything special, in my opinion....but it works.
I am overthinking it for sure. I just want to be respectful. It’s my best friends wedding and I don’t want to be out of place (too formal) at his of all weddings.

jeremygo

Reaction score
I am overthinking it for sure. I just want to be respectful. It’s my best friends wedding and I don’t want to be out of place (too formal) at his of all weddings.
I think you will definitely come across as respectful with your current plan! Agreed that this is a great opportunity for a “fun” “summery” tie.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
If your buddy said "suit and tie," I doubt he will find a reasonable suit and tie not adequately respectful. You can do formal, you can do summer, you can find a mix of both. I'd go for more summer country than city.

acconrad

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think my concern was grounded in being too formal and making it look like I was part of the (nonexistent) wedding party and last thing I want to do is draw attention away from them

talhaub

Reaction score

My plan is navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square, navy/blue two-tone OTC socks, black cap toe oxfords. I was going to wear a but I'm wondering if that's too formal?

Based on the groom's tuxedo choice and the outdoor, rural setting, it's best to err on the side of formality. Your planned outfit of a navy suit, white shirt, and black cap toe oxfords is a solid choice. The wedding tie you mentioned, whether it's a Shepherd's check or a navy grenadine, would both be suitable options.

Ultimately, it's important to feel confident and comfortable in what you wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads