• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm asking my groomsmen to wear 2 piece navy suits that they already own but was hoping to get them a tie each. I've got 7 groomsmen in total so not sure whether to have several of the same tie or 7 different ties. Also I'm a bit stuck in terms of what colours and patterns would work well together. Would appreciate any input, thanks

With white shirts, just about any color/pattern tie will work with navy suits.

Could you post some examples that you have considered/looked at for feedback?

Legion6

Reaction score

fingle85

Reaction score
Hi all,
Apologies if this question has been answered many times, but I had trouble searching the forum for an answer.

I'm getting married next month and need to buy a tuxedo shirt. I got a MTM midnight blue shawl collar tux by Paul Betenly, see below.

6D41024_5596-1Davis_1568x2336.jpg

Now I need a tuxedo shirt to go with it. I don't want ruffles or a bib, just a crisp clean white shirt with french cuffs and a placket for studs. The collar should be spread with a 1/4" space for the bowtie (i'll be tying my own bowtie). What brands would you guys recommend? I'd like to spend between $100-150. I'm getting married Sept 25, so don't have time for a MTM option from ProperCloth, etc. I've liked Eton shirts, but they're a little pricey. What are some other good OTR brands I should try? I can get the shirt tailored by the guy who made my suit, by the way.

Thank you!

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
Eton shirts are pricey?
It's your wedding. You know you like Eton, they carry exactly what you're after, and it's barely above your range. Skip Starbucks for a couple of weeks and you're good.

Edit: First sentence there could come off differently than intended. A Budd RTW evening shirt will set you back 350. I view Eton as affordable because I can't afford Budd.

Last edited:

fingle85

Reaction score
Eton shirts are pricey?
It's your wedding. You know you like Eton, they carry exactly what you're after, and it's barely above your range. Skip Starbucks for a couple of weeks and you're good.

Edit: First sentence there could come off differently than intended. A Budd RTW evening shirt will set you back 350. I view Eton as affordable because I can't afford Budd.

Eton's not THAT pricey compared to what some shirts can be, for sure. I was hoping to browse a few other brands because Eton does not seem to offer a shirt without a pique that still has a French placket (no seam on the right side), which is what I'm after.

fingle85

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this Pink evening shirt has removable buttons so I can add studs? The language in the description is unclear.
The collar and cuffs are constructed with a floating interlining, for a comfortable and long-lasting finish, and a contemporary versatility which allows for the use of Pink dress studs.

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
...and a contemporary versatility which allows for the use of Pink dress studs.
I'd wager it'll take any studs. This shirt has a bib though. Pink also has a concealed placket shirt, which is appropriate for a shawl collared coat.

fingle85

Reaction score
I'd wager it'll take any studs. This shirt has a bib though. Pink also has a concealed placket shirt, which is appropriate for a shawl collared coat.

Thanks! I have been going back and forth on doing studs or not. I do like the clean look, but wanted to make sure it wasn't too casual.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Apologies if this question has been answered many times, but I had trouble searching the forum for an answer.

I'm getting married next month and need to buy a tuxedo shirt. I got a MTM midnight blue shawl collar tux by Paul Betenly, see below.

6D41024_5596-1Davis_1568x2336.jpg

Now I need a tuxedo shirt to go with it. I don't want ruffles or a bib, just a crisp clean white shirt with french cuffs and a placket for studs. The collar should be spread with a 1/4" space for the bowtie (i'll be tying my own bowtie). What brands would you guys recommend? I'd like to spend between $100-150. I'm getting married Sept 25, so don't have time for a MTM option from ProperCloth, etc. I've liked Eton shirts, but they're a little pricey. What are some other good OTR brands I should try? I can get the shirt tailored by the guy who made my suit, by the way.

Thank you!

I got a Brooks Brothers standard pique bib front shirt w/ a turn down collar (no rufflles or anything you can see from more than a meter away) for about $135

For how often I wear black tie, it works just fine! They have a couple of different cuts, so you could purchase a couple see what works and return the rest...

ebusch

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down a pair of opera pumps in black calf for my wedding next year, but so far haven't had much luck finding them. Brooks Brothers no longer has them in stock, and everywhere else I've seen only has them in patent. Do any US-based retailers offer them as a RTW option?

I'm aware of custom orders from the UK:
Shipton: https://www.shipton.com/leather-pumps.html
Broadland: https://www.broadlandslippers.co.uk/slippers/mens-patent-leather-evening-pumps/

Any real difference between those two makers? Are there any other options I should check out?

ajtay

Reaction score
wondered what people thought about a blue check suit for a groom? getting married next year and don't want to do black tie, but wonder if another suit i'm eyeing might be too casual. its a sorta royal blue with navy checks, still quite dark.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics?

ThomGault

Reaction score
wondered what people thought about a blue check suit for a groom? getting married next year and don't want to do black tie, but wonder if another suit i'm eyeing might be too casual. its a sorta royal blue with navy checks, still quite dark.
Where is the ceremony? If it's in a church, No. If it's at a Dennys? Sure, no problem.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads