1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. PASstudy

PASstudy Senior member

Pics of my wedding suit. Bespoke 3-piece from Franco Ercole. Have 1-2 more fittings so it's almost done. Still not sure about tie color. Was thinking traditional glen plaid etc.. but after seeing this tie the shop had on the mannequin I am thinking about a color based off fiancee's bouquet or something similar. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Well said.

You were asked to wear a tux. So wear a tux.

The bride and groom have enough to worry about without having to deal with this BS. If you are a good friend, you will suck it up and do what all of the other members of the wedding party are doing and not cause them any stress or annoyance.

3. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

The suit looks spectacular. I am not one for too much tutti-frutti color coordination in wedding clothing. The suit is so classic, it calls for neutral colors...just as your bride in probably going to be in neutral colors. Keep it to shades of grey, maybe even silver. If you really feel you must go with a color, maybe a light blue.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@lukejackson, navy jacket and mid grey trousers is the closest you can get to a suit, let alone black tie with what you have. I think black shoes are much better in this context, but given what you have, I'd wear the brown loafers. White shirt and the closest thing you have to a wedding tie. I don't see how wearing a bow tie helps you here; outside of the dinner jacket context it will just make you look more dandified. I think the goal when potentially underdressed (even if you say not all will follow the dress code) is to stand out less and to be as subtle in your choices as possible.

5. brian.

brian. New Member

Good points.

Athough I'm not really a friend of the party, but that's something else

Yea I'm down to be courteous and comply. So any options to look at for my initial guidelines? cheaper the better, but maybe sub 600?

1. peaked lapel
    2. single button
    3. no pocket flaps
    4. no vents
    5. slim-fit
    6. black

I know tux's aren't versatile, but notched lapels, two-buttons, some flaps seem less formal, so in a way more versatile. And I've seen many tux's with lapels without sheen, which I'm a little confused about. I'm also pretty crafty and can manipulate garments after the wedding. So I may be open to that too

Thanks guys

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Tuxedos aren't supposed to be versatile. They serve a very specific purpose in a wardrobe and really don't work in other contexts for the most part. Depending on where you live, you can definitely find excuses to wear a tuxedo and get some good mileage out of it, but it's still not going to be like a good suit or navy blazer that can be worn all the time. The good news is that if you keep your shape, your tuxedo will last a long time since you aren't wearing it much.

I don't see much point in getting a sub-optimal tuxedo (notched lapels, two buttons, etc.) so that you can convert it to a suit (and please, please, do not buy something without satin or grosgrain lapels; that is one of the key things that makes the tuxedo a tuxedo). You're still most likely converting the thing to a black suit that won't be particularly versatile or useful anyway. The nice thing about owning a tuxedo is that you never have to worry about renting one (unless some persnickety bride / groom insist that everyone rent because they want the entire wedding party to match...a rant for another day) again and it's there for when you need it. Once you have it, you know you have your formalwear needs covered and there's a nice peace of mind about that.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

This Suit Supply tuxedo looks like it fits all your requirements. Here is a review by a SF member.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

9. PenandSword

PenandSword New Member

Hey everyone, I've been a stalker of the forum for a long time, but I'm just now creating an account to post my own question! Thanks in advance for your help, and keep up the good work here!

I'm getting married in September, and I've been trying to track down affordable suit options. At this point, I'm considering either a medium brown or else a medium blue, depending on what color the beloved fiancee chooses as her bridesmaids' dress color. At this point, the blue seems more likely. Probably 2 piece, though I wouldn't shake my fist at a 3 piece, either. The trouble is, we're on a tight budget and I can't afford more than $200 per suit. Under that would be preferable. The closest thing I've found to matching my budget while not completely abandoning fit/quality (at least, I think - I've read good things. I'll admit I haven't seen one in person) are these, from the Combatant Gentleman:

https://www.combatgent.com/suits/brown-slim-fit-suit-nailhead-suit

https://www.combatgent.com/suits/blue-slim-fit-suit

That said, if possible, I'd prefer to shy away from wool suits. We live in the South, and an early September wedding will likely be quite warm. Linen or something along those lines would be preferable -- but again, the budget is strangling a lot of my options and I'll take what I can get. Unfortunately, my tastes are far more expensive than my wallet permits.

So.

Does anyone have any recommendations on some budget suits that will look good, be decent quality, and won't break the bank, especially in a linen or other light fabric?

Thanks all!

- PenandSword

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Welcome to the forum, p&s. I moved your post over here so you can get the help you need. Congrats on the wedding!

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

heh

12. unbelragazzo

I would look on eBay and any local thrifts for a while first. You might get lucky with something much nicer than that for a lower price. As long as you don't mind used clothing, of course. There are plenty of good deals out there, just with an eBay purchase you take a little bit of risk on how it'll fit. You can eliminate some risk if you've already tried on suits by that maker, or if you have a good idea of what measurements you need in a jacket, or if you've got a really good alterations tailor.

13. Murlsquirl

Pen&Sword.....p&s

14. unbelragazzo

I'll take Penis Word for $600, Alex

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. Murlsquirl

Haha.....I'm an idiot

16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Silly to match your fiancee's bouquet, etc with your tie. It's not a prom.

17. unbelragazzo

My mom and dad had a friend in college whose name was Paul Ness. 15 years they graduated and saw Paul for the last time, my mom suddenly burst out in uncontrollable laughter when she finally understood why my dad and his friends always called him "P. Ness."

18. Murlsquirl

That would be an awesome personalized license plate....P NESS

19. drummr8

drummr8 New Member

So, I bought a gray Michael Kors suit that I was hoping to wear for my wedding. I had really hoped to get a 3-piece suit, but I couldn't pass up the deal on this one. Is there a color vest that would go well with this suit? The color scheme for the wedding is coral, mint, and grey.

This is the suit I bought:

http://cdnc.lystit.com/photos/4c4f-...pe-product-1-18694543-0-490058468-normal.jpeg

Thanks for suggestions!

EDIT: Should the tie perfectly match the vest if I go with an accented vest color?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  20. Murlsquirl

Welcome to the forum, drummr. I moved your post over here so you can get the help you need. Congrats on the wedding!