1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

OK, at the risk of embarrassing myself, our preliminary wedding blog from our photographer is published! Check it out if you would like. My tux is from Tom James. Shirt from RLPL, shoes from C&J. I am not crazy about how the tux fits in the pictures. We took a great amount of time and effort on the tailoring but it still looks sloppy to me. Regardless, our wedding was definitely the happiest day of my life!

Many thanks to everyone here for your advice and input!

If you like, more to come, we get our entire album this week.

http://www.mattramosphotography.com/ashley-mike-lake-placid-wedding-photographer/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Nice flicks. Looks like a good time. Congrats!
    Don't let small stuff like the fit of your tux overshadow what the event was(I know that you haven't!)

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

1. I don't see any reason that would be an issue. I might even consider one button peak but that's just me.

2. Sounds good, though a more moderate spread might look better. As long as it is white and French cuff, though, you're in good shape.

3. Sounds good.

4. If you ditch the odd waistcoat, I would get a 3 piece peak lapel suit and have a DB waistcoat. I think the DB waistcoat makes it look less like you are dressing for business.

4. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'd like to emphasize this. I had a three-piece 1B peak lapel gray suit done up with a DB waistcoat for my own wedding and it was splendid.

1B peak feels useless except in social settings, but there's something to owning a suit that doesn't get worn unless I'm about to go have a good time.

5. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Some good advice here - I'm leaning toward a SB 2 button w/ peaks. DB waistcoat as well. I kind of want the suit to look "special." I don't want to look like I'm going to the office or attending as a guest.

6. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Also, changed my mind to a semi-spread white shirt rather then cutaway.

7. Star

Star Senior member

I have landed on a navy suite and want the Silver Tie. Any thoughts which of 2 pictured? Concerned the lighter tie may look washed out particularly with my jacket off on a white shirt. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

:uhoh:

9. archibaldleach

^^ I prefer the second, darker tie.

10. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Looking for general advice on accessories coordination. My suit is a SB, couple shades brighter than navy; white shirt. The boutonniere is most probably going to be a peach color - and I would also like to wear a PS.
    A safe combo I'm finding would be a standard black-and-white glen plaid tie with a white PS - is that right? How would I go about making it all jive better with that boutonniere. Would the below glen plaid work? Could I add a PS in a related color to that, or would it be too matchy and I really should stick to white?
    Now, I'm definitely in the "informal" area with the entire fit (more informal than what the traditional hierarchy defines as informal), but I wouldn't want to go for anything outlandish, so if I'm overcomplicating, please do tell. Just having trouble visualizing it all in my head.

[​IMG]

11. archibaldleach

^ White linen square. Glen plaid with no overcheck.

12. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think that you have thought about this correctly. The second one would definitely provide more pop as its darker. And frankly, the texture on the second one looks more intricate as well.

13. biggie634

biggie634 New Member

I know there are a lot of threads on this, and this particular thread is already quite long but my wedding is coming up and I have a couple of quick questions.

To start off the wedding is not terribly formal (i.e. no tux, morning jackets, etc.), but I don't want to look like a complete goober.

I am currently having a Samuelsohn MTM suit made which is going to have a subbtle alternating stripe pattern (not a heavy chalk stripe look) which I hope isn't a mistake. I do not regularly wear suits but would like have one I can wear for other occasions as well (business and personal) and feel this should fit the bill.

The previous post shows a cream colored waistcoat (which may be nice for my chilly Dec wedding), which is a look I like, however, the suit is not going to have buttons for braces - so, can I wear a waist coat with a belt, or is that a definite no go?

Also, to do something slightly different, I was considering wearing oxblood, merlot or burgundy cap toes - do you think that's ok, or should I just go with black?

Lastly, should I stick with a classic "wedding tie" pattern or can I go with some richer hues (purples, burgundy, etc) given that it is a late fall/early winter wedding?

Thanks for any input,

Your Stylishly Inept Questioner

14. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The by-the-book answer to your questions is "nope". Stripes are for business (or morning dress trousers), a waistcoat will have an unsightly and inappropriate bulge over the belt buckle, formal shoes are black, and classic ties are classic. If it were me I wouldn't find fault with some polished-to-within-an-inch-of-their-lives oxblood captoes.

For what it's worth, none of this will make you "look like a complete goober". Make sure things fit properly and wear a tasteful tie; that'll put you ahead of 95% of the grooms out there trying to look original in rented tuxedos with camo lapels or converse sneakers and tweed clip-on bow ties.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

-Alternating stripe? As in the color of the stripe?

16. biggie634

biggie634 New Member

Correct, it is a navy suit with a subtle thin broken gray stripe and a wider slightly lighter blue stripe (I wish I could describe it better). The closest thing I can find doing a quick search was this, http://www.lyst.com/clothing/canali-classic-fit-stripe-suit-blue/ , however, the stripes on my suit, I believe, are more subtle.

Also, will scratch the waistcoat idea... and true, cannot go wrong with some black cap toes.

Thanks again.

17. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

You can wear clip on suspenders/braces fit the rare occasion you wear the waistcoat. I'm wearing a pair right now, because this suit didn't come Erin buttons in the trousers and I haven't put them in yet. They're but ideal, and not good for your waistband in the long run, but one day's wear isn't going to ruin anything.

18. facet

facet Senior member

In case you're still considering the waistcoat, I just sewed suspender buttons onto my pants as I did have a waistcoat.

19. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

Thanks for the help guys. Things went well. ;)

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  20. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:cheers: