1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Distinguished Member

I think your instincts on both are right. Peaks would look a bit out of place on a light grey suit, let alone a linen one. You're wearing a linen suit, because you're having an informal wedding. If a linen suit is appropriate, then so are notches. Obviously, wool would be more versatile than linen, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a linen suit. There are lots of summer days when a linen suit is useful.

2. Chris-ModaR

Chris-ModaR Affiliate Vendor

Hi abl, check your PM please thanks!

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Personally I like peaks on linen, but 1) I'm weird 2) I wouldn't get grey linen.

4. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

No ivory buttons, no white buttonhole stitching. They'll make the jacket too casual. Brown buttons would be much better.

5. stoneb

stoneb Senior Member

I'm getting married in May, and I'm having a hard time with suits for my five groomsmen. I'm buying their accessories, but they will have to purchase their own suits, as well as black shoes and white shirts if they don't already have them. The difficulty lies in finding suits in their price range.

Can anyone kindly recommend a good source for two-piece charcoal suits at around $200-250?

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

A light grey linen suit is one of those things that sounds awesome in theory and I would love to own one, but it is NOT exactly practical or versatile (unless you are one of the rare people who is more likely to wear a casual suit than a more formal darker wool suit in which case you may have some fun with it in the summer). Personally, I think that if money is not particularly tight for you and your future wife, there is nothing wrong with you buying something impractical that won't get a lot of wear since your bride to be will be buying an expensive dress that she will wear once in her life, but just know that you are buying something that is pretty darn far from a staple. An odd vest can look very elegant in the right setting, but I think it could be a bit much for an outdoor beach wedding, especially considering the potential heat. A two piece linen suit will be fine.

I would not try to wear a grey linen jacket as an odd jacket. It's not particularly versatile IMO and will be hard to successfully pair with things. If you are keeping it as a suit, you do not have to worry about how peak lapels would look when worn separately. Get the suit you want; if you can't wear the jacket and trousers separately, so be it.

For the navy blazer, are you looking for something you can wear for most of the year or something to wear in the summer? You are getting married in the summer, but it also sounds like you need a navy blazer for general use. I'd consider smoked MOP buttons with patch pockets if it is a linen jacket, but think you are better off with brown horn or the traditional metal buttons if you are getting a worsted wool. I also would not do white buttonhole stitching no matter what fabric you end up with. If you go the worsted route, I'd get something in a medium weight that can be worn for much of the year. Seasonal clothing is great, but I think that a navy blazer is one of the few odd jackets that can look fine in a medium weight.

7. unbelragazzo

eBay + a good tailor is the best strategy in this price range if you have the time and patience for it.

8. oreamnos

oreamnos New Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

The grey is actually not a very light grey. Here's a picture of the proposed grey linen fabric with a potential odd vest combo below it:

[​IMG]

@ImTheGroom: would this sort of grey be better suited for peaks or still no?

@unbelragazzo: I too like the idea of peaks. Went with grey linen as darker colors I think would look strange as linen, natural beige looks awesome, but doesn't go as well with my skin/hair tone, and white linen is reserved for the bride and Jay Gatsby.

@Veremund: I think you are right about brown buttons for the navy jacket the more I think about it. And I don't think white stitching would look good for the whole jacket, but what about just on the sleeve buttons? Something to add a little custom touch, that doesn't make it too casual when looking at it it normally - would really have to look directly at the sleeves to notice.

@archibaldleach: I agree that a light grey would not be very versatile. But what about the color above? Would this not work well as a summer suit given the color is not overly light? I would also think that this color could look nice with jeans, or potentially blue or beige pants. The problem would be if it had peaks, would peaks look weird without a tie?

For the navy jacket, it is a super 130s summer weight fabric. So, I'd probably do flap pockets. I get warm easily so this summer weight fabric will still work great for me year round. Here's a photo of the fabric:

[​IMG]

What do you think for buttons here? Also, as above, would contrast stitching on just the sleeve buttons be ok just to add some custom flair? Or would this not look good? From afar, since the front buttons and lapel would not have contrast stitching, no one would know.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

As another question here, I'm thinking about pairing the linen suit with AE Boca Ratons in the walnut color. I realize this is not traditional footwear for a wedding, but it's a petty casual beach/nautical thing in a warm climate, and I think they are amazing shoes. Other option is my AE Kenilworths in black. Nice shoes, but not Boca Raton nice.

9. ImTheGroom

The peaks will stand out a little, but I don't think they will look silly. If you really want them, remember it is your suit in the end, and you are three one that will wear it. Don't do what we say just because we say it. You are the one to be looking at these photos the rest of your life, so you really need to like it.

10. archibaldleach

The medium grey linen suit just seems like an odd creature to me and something I could not personally picture owning (and I have a decent size wish list that far exceeds my closet capacity). Linen is inherently casual, while medium grey is a staple conservative suit color. I'd think a open weave wool (Fresco or something similar) or a tropical weight wool would be a better choice. I can see occasionally wearing a light grey linen suit in a deliberately casual way, but it just seems odd to do so with medium grey linen. The color is more versatile, but the combination of the color and the fabric seems off somehow. Some here have navy or RAF blue linen suits, but it's a lot easier to wear a navy or RAF blue linen jacket as an odd jacket than it is a solid medium grey linen jacket. I'm just not seeing medium grey linen as a great odd jacket. Others here may disagree.

For the navy blazer, I'd avoid contrast stitching. In general, the custom details you do quietly and keep to yourself are better than the flashier ones which often are not particularly tasteful. I'd do metal buttons and patch pockets (to clearly mark it as an odd jacket) with minimal lining, but that's just me. I like to clearly mark my navy blazers as blazers vs. orphaned suit jackets, so I think either patch pockets or metal buttons are essential.

11. bsarosi

bsarosi Senior Member

What's the SF stance on a midnight blue 3-piece, peal lapel suit for a wedding (probably 1 button, although I may go 2 so I can wear it for other purposes)? I'm trying to go as formal as possible without going the tuxedo route.

Are there any other options you'd recommend?

12. archibaldleach

Sounds pretty darn awesome to me. I think peak lapels vs. notch is more noticeable than 2 button vs. 1 (especially since only one of the two buttons is buttoned). You can wear something like that (maybe sometimes without the vest) to any evening event that calls for a suit and tie. Buy it. Enjoy it. Wear it as a special occasion suit.

13. ImTheGroom

^^^^ That.

14. unbelragazzo

You might also consider an odd vest in buff or dove instead. This is decidedly more dandified, but personally I like it.

15. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

It would not look good. Not for a wedding. Not for business.