1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Star - perhaps you can give us a bit more info. Is it a city wedding in a big church in Sydney and a fancy hotel afterwards or is it a smaller one in a quieter coastal town then at the local club etc. Maybe it is on the beach up in FNQ. They would all tend to have different levels of formality though it is your own choice in the end.

2. Star

Star Senior member

It will be in a Suburban church followed by a evening sit down dinner reception at a wedding venue by the water overlooking Sydney Harbour. (Not at a fancy hotel but not a pub either )

3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

First off, congratulations!

If you want to be on the more formal end, I'd a navy or charcoal suit, three piece, with ideally with peak lapels, but that one is really down to taste. You could also do a contrasting waistcoat, as expertly pictured a few posts up.

If you want something more relaxed, a medium grey suit, I would do three piece, would be a top notch choice.

If you want to up the ante, you could opt for a stroller at the ceremony, and change into a dinner suit for the evening. If you have a particular desire to wear either one of those, and bemoan the lack of opportunities, then this might be the moment. Only, of course, if it's an affordable option from your point of view.

If you do a blue suit, I would go with a grey/silver wedding tie, as it seems a bit more celebratory than burgundy, which is very business like. Those are the only two colours that I think are consistently stellar with navy. With a grey suit, I'd go with the same, or a blue tie, perhaps. You can, if course, add more colour with the tie if you prefer. There is nothing wrong with it, though it isn't strictly traditional. Again, down to your preference. I find grey suits easier to pair with more colours, but that's more my taste than anything, I think.

There you have my two cents!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  4. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Star - wedding day sounds great. I pretty much agree with ImTheGroom, personally I prefer the blue option to the grey but that is just for me grey may look better on you. If you buy the waistcoat you need not wear it if the weather is too hot. Get some some new shoes for the day if you do not already have a pair well polished of smart black ones.

5. Star

Star Senior member

Do my groomsman need to be similarly dressed? I don't like the idea that we are all in school uniform but the saleswoman at the suit store suggested we would look disjointed in the wedding photo. My fiancée say's it is up to me.

6. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

No they do not. The shop assistant is a tool.

1 person likes this.
  7. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

[​IMG]

Thought I'd share one from my own wedding this past spring. Ignore the fact that the tie is off center and the buckle in the vest; I'm turned slightly towards the bride in the pic.

ETA: for context, it was an evening wedding in downtown Chicago

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  8. TimelesStyle

Depends on the definition of "similarly". You don't want one to show up in a black suit, white shirt and silver wedding tie and the other in a tan suit, striped shirt and knit tie. So there should be some guidelines, but other than that it's fine (even good) if they all look a bit different. Perhaps specify things like:

-Color family for suit (some shade of navy, some shade of grey, etc.)
    -Shirt color
    -Shoe color
    -Tie color family (unless you're buying them ties)

9. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

It's a bit early seeing as I haven't proposed or anything yet, but here's my nearly-complete morning dress outfit. Pants need to be hemmed down and the jacket needs pressing, but apart from that and the lack of top hat this is nearly complete. I may try to find a pair of Chelseas to wear with this instead of the shoes I have on.

[​IMG]

1920 two-button pinstripe morning coat - $95
    1890s/1900s detachable button cotton waistcoat - $10
    1910s cashmere stripe trousers - $40
    Early 20th century detachable collar - $4
    Late 1920s/1930s wedding tie - $2
    Luxire detachable collar shirt - $70
    Cheapo Mezlan patent leather cap-toe oxfords from ebay - $40

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

No wing collar shirt with morning dress please.

1 person likes this.
  11. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

It looks like you're playing dress up.

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

A pinstripe morning coat (which may well be a morning suit orphan) may not be congruent with the ultimate formality of the wing collar. Try a detachable turndown collar, perhaps?

I don't think it's an absolute thar one can't wear them anymore, but it honestly is not working for me in your rig. I can't put my finger on it; maybe it didn't suit your face shape? At any rate, I would try some other options.

If you do wear the wing collar in the end, you may as well go full on and wear an ascot. In for a penny...

13. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Morning coat looks a bit shabby to be honest.

edit: ok, missed the bit where you say it needs pressing, nevertheless it's still a bit too worn I think. As though it was handed down generations of Etonians who played hard in it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  14. TimelesStyle

To be honest, if I had a daughter, I'd hide her from anyone dressed that way...

2 people like this.
  15. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

I've got a couple of different shapes of wing collar in the batch I picked up, so I'll try a different one. However, I think I'll stick with the four-in-hand as I've seen it done with wing collar a number of times and don't feel like tracking down an ascot when I already have a perfectly serviceable wedding tie. The morning coat really doesn't have any worn areas, it's just crumpled (especially in the sleeve) and needs pressing badly.

16. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'd prefer a turndown collar here vs. the wing collar, especially with a four in hand. It's not like it's hard to get a formal shirt to wear during the day with a turndown collar. I don't understand the comment about the coat being pinstriped (maybe I am blind, but it looked like a solid on my monitor). Buttoning point on the morning coat looks a bit high to me, though.

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  18. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

It looked solid to me as well, but OP described it as pinstriped.

19. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

What is the over/under on the number of posts replying to someone who hasn't proposed yet?

20. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

We only care about his clothes, not his relationship. :)