Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Agreed. Besides, you're wearing a Tuxedo - how it looks without the jacket isn't important anyway.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

In case you were all tempted to think that Americans had a monopoly on horrific wedding wear, saw a couple getting married on the beach promenade in Naples at mid day, with the groom in ill-fitting tuxedo, best man in metallic bronze suit.

3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

We would all do well to remember that, anywhere you go in the world, 25% of people suck and 75% are dumb. There is significant overlap.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

It's fully possible the people involved are neither sucky nor dumb, but I found their wedding wear disagreeable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Do you mean the rocks near via Caracciolo? they were probably just taking the pictures for the album... We have a word for people like that, Tamarri!

6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Possible, yes. Probable? I dunno, man. I dunno.

7. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

So my suit and shirt arrived today. For weddings the tailor always embroiders the couples initials and wedding date on them. Of course these are completely wrong :( in the scheme of things It probably isn't such a big deal, though I imagine several years from now it my be used as in an argument by one of us that someone forgot an anniversary ;)

Ill post some pics later. Having 2nd thoughts about the shirt since it is quite blue and the rest of the wedding party will be wearing white shirts

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  8. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

[​IMG]
    So here is the wedding suit. It doesn't show in the picture but the shirt has a light blue pinpoint weave to it.

as mentioned before the groomsmen are in light to mid grey suits and white shirts. I will be getting them a blue grenadine ties in a mix of shades and textures.
    All will be wearing white ps and white bouttonaire.

Question is what is my tie?

At the moment i'm tossing up between

this:

[​IMG] ....... or this........[​IMG]

I was all set on the plaid. But then the earlier comments about it not going with blue shirting got to me and I ordered some other swatches. The Midnight and pintdot grenadine just looks awesome. In a perfect world i'd probably just order both to add to the collection and decide on the day, but I don't think that's going to fit the budget. These are both Sam Hobers if that matters.
    Any input and commentary would be appreciated.

9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I like this
    with that suit

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I think either would work, and if you feel strongly that the glenplaid is better, you should wear it. I like the addition of the red to the fit, too, and think the pindot is probably better. You can probably find a glenplaid tie in a store to try on with the suit, and see what you like best. Neither is wrong; neither is a fail. My vote goes to the midnight/red, but your vote is the one that counts.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

If you're going to do a midnight blue tie with pindots and end up with the full blue on blue on blue (shirt, suit, tie) look, I think you'd be much better off with white pindots. I'd also carefully consider whether you want to wear a blue suit, shirt and tie (it can be done very well but isn't the easiest thing to do). If the shirt is truly a very light blue, then a grey glen plaid should still be darker than the shirt and I'd think would be a better choice. Just my two cents but I tend to prefer grey ties with blue suits and vice versa.

12. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the shirt fabric. I reckon I'll go for the navy with red. I kinda like the plaid more but the grenadine looks more versatile for later use and the future ball and chain prefers it.

I am concerned about archibald's comment though. Is there something else I could do to be a bit less Monoblue (my shoes are bluish too)?
    Maybe add a non white pocket square ? But leave the groomsmen with white ones.

13. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I would not do the grenadine, too dark on that suit especially for your own wedding. The plaid was a good idea, but also slightly dark in the example posted. I would look for a silver/blue houndstooth or plaid, or even a more solid jacquard silver tie. The shirts is a light enough sky blue but dark navy suit plus navy tie with red dots, is not a good look for your own wedding (the usual message about looking at pictures later.

Edit: In buying a tie for your wedding I do not believe you should be concerned with how much you can re-use it, is not like a suit, but in case, in the picture below are some of the ties I have in my regular rotation and that I believe would be very suitable for your wedding outfit, in a better way then the grenadine and dark plaid you were considering:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@marcodalondra has some good suggestions for ties.

@ovlov, I am not sure how a non-white pocket square would reduce the monochrome effect of your outfit and would stick with white in any event. Also, a grey glen plaid tie is actually reasonably versatile and can be worn with a navy suit and white shirt quite elegantly in the evenings. The grenadine you posted IMO really would look best with a medium grey suit and either white or pale blue shirt. Both ties can work but in different contexts.

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

What Archie said. :)