1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Distinguished Member

Good point! There are lots of websites with very affordable ones, too, that they could buy, or you could gift to them, depending on your budget/their level of annoyance at buying things.

2. facet

facet Senior Member

I don't know anything about the quality; but I was browsing the clermont direct website and noticed the have db dinner jackets on there. Might be worth checking out.

3. facet

facet Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, would this tie be considered a acceptable as a wedding tie for a groomsmen? I was wondering if the black/white pattern means it qualifies or if it's too dark.

[​IMG]

Thanks

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

^ Too dark for my taste.

5. facet

facet Senior Member

Cool, Thanks. :cheers:

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Wedding attire preview. Apologies for crummy self-pics from circa 2008 digital camera & wrinkled shirt. (Have to leave something for the day-of.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The socks are a little basically a bigger version of the tie pattern, but I'm going to let it go. (This was the most understated purple sock I could find.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tie clip: yay or nay? (Leaning nay. A little too Gordon Gekko.)

[​IMG]

The tailor did a crazy zig-zag stem keeper.

My only disappointment is I am having shy shirt cuffs. I probably should have gone with an inch longer sleeve, but the one I got fits perfectly until the jacket goes on. Rookie mistake.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

7. ovlov

ovlov Senior Member

^^^ very nice sir. I think i'd skip the tie clip.Too Wall Street.

When is the big day? got time to track down another shirt if the sleeve length bugs your that much?

8. Sean McKee

Sean McKee Well-Known Member

Why not have one made? Then you will have exactly what you're looking for!

9. Van Veen

Next weekend. I could order another shirt, I just don't want to spend any more money at this point.

Edit: The sleeves are fine.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Distinguished Member

I'm sure your shirt will be fine, and look great. If you do decide to get another white shirt, you simply can't have too many, so it won't be wasted money. You have lots to do this week, I'm sure, though, so I wouldn't worry about it, if you're not worried about it. The whole look is very sharp; big fan of the herringbone. Congratulations! Enjoy the day; it goes by quickly.

11. Van Veen

Thanks. It's the least of my worries right now. We've had so many unexpected & uncontrollable things go wrong in the past few weeks... it's ridiculous.

12. Aguy

Aguy Member

New case:

Being the groom for a summer wedding taking place on the beach. There will be no formality for guest attire so looking at casual to semi-formal. Ceremony is taking place at 4pm (sunset is at about 6pm) followed by a reception. I plan on switching form a suit to a tuxedo for the evening dinner reception.

Now I am having a hard time working out where to begin for the ceremony. Would I be safe wearing any 2 piece suit between light gray, navy, and charcoal? My concern is the time of day, heat, and formality. I don't want to wear anything too heavy but at the same time I want to look my part. I'm also looking at peak lapels while groomsmen have notched but I don't if this is too much given the formality.

Some examples of what I was looking at (off J Crews Ludlow line and suit supply)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for putting up with me SF

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

13. Van Veen

You have a lot of options for a beach wedding. Some questions: Is this going to be your first suit? If yes, what do you already own? If no, do you plan to buy more suits? Do you care about it being versatile?

14. Aguy

Aguy Member

Not my first suit, I have a light grey and black one already that I bought on more of a budget. I'm okay with buying a suit for this special occasion with the assumption that I may not wear it again, or much.

15. Van Veen

Color-wise, I think you're fine with any of the suits you posted, but I really don't like the lapels on #2. Whatever you do, make sure you leave plenty of time to try the suit on, return it if it doesn't fit well, and get it tailored of course. (This is coming from a guy who got his suit, brand new, <3 weeks before his wedding, and picked it up from the tailor <2 weeks before. Not exactly ideal, and a little stressful.) If you want something that wears light, you can get something other than wool like linen or cotton, both of which are more casual, yet perfectly fine for a beach wedding. Considering your guest attire, you can basically get whatever suit you want as long as it's not too over-the-top.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014