• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, unless you trust the groomsmen, I would be clear that you want them to wear a tuxedo shirt and not just a regular dress shirt, unless you don't care.

Good point! There are lots of websites with very affordable ones, too, that they could buy, or you could gift to them, depending on your budget/their level of annoyance at buying things.

facet

Reaction score

Hello all,

I don't have a date set for my wedding, but we're shooting sometime for the end of this year if at all possible, depending on venue availability.

We'll be doing both service and reception in one venue, starting with the service around 5:30, leading straight into cocktails followed by dinner. We intend to send invitations as "Black Tie Preferred."

A number of the groomsmen already own perfectly suitable tuxedos on their own. I see no reason to make them all rent things less nice than they already own just to match. I'd actually prefer they not match at all really. The idea of everyone showing up with their own tuxedo in whatever style they choose sounds classically elegant to me. We'll probably put matching white carnations on each of them, with a red one for me.

One question on the groomsmen, and then a few for me: do any of you see any issue allowing the groomsmen to wear whatever style of tuxedo shirt they own? Fly front vs. pleated, etc.? My gut says it doesn't matter and I'd rather have everyone in well fitting clothing.

For any of the groomsmen that don't own tuxedos, I intend to give them inexpensive options to buy, or point out some nicer rental places in St. Louis. The bulk of the groomsmen are young professionals that ought to own a tuxedo anyways, but I don't want to force them into buying anything against their will.

For me, I already own an older Brooks Brothers one button peaked lapel tuxedo that I bought a few years back on eBay on a screaming deal. It was lightly worn and after some alterations was about 90% of what I wanted it to be. I was on a student budget at the time and 90% was more than good enough, but if there's ever an opportunity to get the "perfect" tuxedo, I imagine it's your wedding.

Ever since I saw Tom Hanks in this tuxedo:

I've been pretty dead set on having a double breasted tuxedo for my wedding. While I love Hanks' shawl lapel, I prefer the cut, stylings, and lapel of Jon Hamm's DB:

Even if I think the fabric choice is too flashy for a wedding. Something about the sheen is off putting.

Since I started getting serious about looking for a DB wedding tuxedo, I'm having a number of issues. Firstly, there don't seem to be terribly many designers or labels that make DB peaked jackets. A few I've found:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24773046

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Doubl...dwvar_615K_Color=BLCK&contentpos=49&cgid=0235

In both shots, I can't tell whether the fit is abnormal or the photography is. The Ralph Lauren jacket seems far too short, or perhaps the model's legs are just far too Long. The BB one looks very constricting and the model looks visibly uncomfortable, like he's wearing a straight jacket.

Does anyone have any advice on where I should begin my search for what I'm seeking?

I don't know anything about the quality; but I was browsing the clermont direct website and noticed the have db dinner jackets on there. Might be worth checking out.

facet

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, would this tie be considered a acceptable as a wedding tie for a groomsmen? I was wondering if the black/white pattern means it qualifies or if it's too dark.

Thanks

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wedding attire preview. Apologies for crummy self-pics from circa 2008 digital camera & wrinkled shirt. (Have to leave something for the day-of.)

The socks are a little basically a bigger version of the tie pattern, but I'm going to let it go. (This was the most understated purple sock I could find.)

Tie clip: yay or nay? (Leaning nay. A little too Gordon Gekko.)

The tailor did a crazy zig-zag stem keeper.

My only disappointment is I am having shy shirt cuffs. I probably should have gone with an inch longer sleeve, but the one I got fits perfectly until the jacket goes on. Rookie mistake.

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
^^^ very nice sir. I think i'd skip the tie clip.Too Wall Street.

When is the big day? got time to track down another shirt if the sleeve length bugs your that much?

Sean McKee

Reaction score
Why not have one made? Then you will have exactly what you're looking for!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Next weekend. I could order another shirt, I just don't want to spend any more money at this point.

Edit: The sleeves are fine.

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next weekend. I could order another shirt, I just don't want to spend any more money at this point.

Edit: The sleeves are fine.

I'm sure your shirt will be fine, and look great. If you do decide to get another white shirt, you simply can't have too many, so it won't be wasted money. You have lots to do this week, I'm sure, though, so I wouldn't worry about it, if you're not worried about it. The whole look is very sharp; big fan of the herringbone. Congratulations! Enjoy the day; it goes by quickly.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm sure your shirt will be fine, and look great.  If you do decide to get another white shirt, you simply can't have too many, so it won't be wasted money.  You have lots to do this week, I'm sure, though, so I wouldn't worry about it, if you're not worried about it.  The whole look is very sharp; big fan of the herringbone.  Congratulations!  Enjoy the day; it goes by quickly.

Thanks. It's the least of my worries right now. We've had so many unexpected & uncontrollable things go wrong in the past few weeks... it's ridiculous.

Aguy

Reaction score
New case:

Being the groom for a summer wedding taking place on the beach. There will be no formality for guest attire so looking at casual to semi-formal. Ceremony is taking place at 4pm (sunset is at about 6pm) followed by a reception. I plan on switching form a suit to a tuxedo for the evening dinner reception.

Now I am having a hard time working out where to begin for the ceremony. Would I be safe wearing any 2 piece suit between light gray, navy, and charcoal? My concern is the time of day, heat, and formality. I don't want to wear anything too heavy but at the same time I want to look my part. I'm also looking at peak lapels while groomsmen have notched but I don't if this is too much given the formality.

Some examples of what I was looking at (off J Crews Ludlow line and suit supply)

Thanks for putting up with me SF

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

New case: Being the groom for a summer wedding taking place on the beach. There will be no formality for guest attire so looking at casual to semi-formal. Ceremony is taking place at 4pm (sunset is at about 6pm) followed by a reception. I plan on switching form a suit to a tuxedo for the evening dinner reception. Now I am having a hard time working out where to begin for the ceremony. Would I be safe wearing any 2 piece suit between light gray, navy, and charcoal? My concern is the time of day, heat, and formality. I don't want to wear anything too heavy but at the same time I want to look my part. I'm also looking at peak lapels while groomsmen have notched but I don't if this is too much given the formality. Some examples of what I was looking at (off J Crews Ludlow line and suit supply)
Thanks for putting up with me SF .
You have a lot of options for a beach wedding. Some questions: Is this going to be your first suit? If yes, what do you already own? If no, do you plan to buy more suits? Do you care about it being versatile?

Aguy

Reaction score
Not my first suit, I have a light grey and black one already that I bought on more of a budget. I'm okay with buying a suit for this special occasion with the assumption that I may not wear it again, or much.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Color-wise, I think you're fine with any of the suits you posted, but I really don't like the lapels on #2. Whatever you do, make sure you leave plenty of time to try the suit on, return it if it doesn't fit well, and get it tailored of course. (This is coming from a guy who got his suit, brand new, <3 weeks before his wedding, and picked it up from the tailor <2 weeks before. Not exactly ideal, and a little stressful.) If you want something that wears light, you can get something other than wool like linen or cotton, both of which are more casual, yet perfectly fine for a beach wedding. Considering your guest attire, you can basically get whatever suit you want as long as it's not too over-the-top.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads