1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

@MrMeanie , welcome, and congratulations!

On a three piece get suspender buttons, whether or not you have belt loops. The belt loops will be covered by the waistcoat when you wear it. Don't wear a belt and the vest together.

As to whether to have belt loops at all, here are my thoughts. One can wear the waist a bit looser with suspenders than with a belt. So, if you think you will wear it as a two-piece, and stll want the suspenders, do not get belt loops. If you would wear it with a belt as a two-piece, then get belt loops.

When it comes down to details like this, we are talking about any three piece suit, rather than a wedding suit. Given that, I would certainly look beyond this thread for input, as many people will have something to say on the subject. Lots of experience, and expertise, dwell here - sometimes in the same person! Get a wide swathe of opinions, and sort out from that what you think makes the most sense.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Sometimes today with 3 piece suits they lengthen the waistcoat to make up for the modern style of "hipster" trousers. If you are getting a 3 piece they look best with a shorter waistcoat which means a higher rise trouser which may look less fashionable if worn as a two piece. Just something to consider.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Provided one is wearing a jacket, I think any lack of fashionability that may exist for higher rise trousers would be minimized. People are just going to see an elegant suit.

4. MrMeanie

MrMeanie Member

Thanks Fellas, some good advice there.

I already have another 3 piece, in charcoal, that I also wear as a 2 piece.
    Now I'm thinking about removing the belt loops on that one! Hahaha

I do like the idea of NOT having belt loops on the new suit, but I would still want to be able to wear it as a 2 piece.
    Maybe side tabs with buttons for suspenders? I know it will be hidden by the jacket, but I'm not really keen on the high rise trousers.

It looks like like I have some more reading to do...

5. archibaldleach

^ If you are going to wear suspenders, you need to have a reasonably high rise trouser. I wear most of my suits with side tabs and have suspender buttons inside just in case (but I also prefer a higher rise trouser). If you don't want belt loops, definitely get side tabs. It can't hurt to have the suspender buttons too, but just be aware that you may not use them if your trouser rise isn't high enough.

6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

High rise means different things to different people. Most of my trousers are what one might call mid-rise. They come about an inch, or half inch, below my navel, and I'm definitely happier with them - on two piece suits, and odd trousers, as well!

7. archibaldleach

I do think it is tough to wear trousers that come more than a half inch below the navel with suspenders. They can certainly be satisfactory and work for the right person, but with suspenders I am more skeptical.

8. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I would think it depends on the shape of one's abdomen. When it comes to lower rise trousers, the more rotund the gentleman, the less viable are suspenders.

9. archibaldleach

There's definitely some truth to this. Those who are less rotund can get away with trousers that are not quite high rise and still wear suspenders. If the rise of the trouser is low enough, however, the purpose of suspenders is essentially defeated.

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Well, if the purpose is to look good, I agree. However, if the purpose is only to keep your pants from settling about the ankles, I suppose they're still doing some good, lol.

11. MrMeanie

MrMeanie Member

So, would low rise trousers with side tabs look OK when worn with a 3 piece?
    As the suit will also be worn as a 2 piece, will it look OK when worn with no belt?

I've never worn a suit without a belt before, or any trousers without a belt...

12. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

Kept it simple. Suit is navy MTM from ProperSuit, tie is J Press burgundy grenadine, shirt is SS double cuff, cufflinks BB sterling knots, shoes black Ferragamo cap toe..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  13. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Excellent! And congrats!

2 people like this.
  14. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

Thanks!

15. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

My best mate is getting married next year. Haven't been to many weddings (only a small bunch of friends have gotten engaged so far). Being in the tropics, and being more of a SW&D guy with limited MC knowledge, I was wondering if I could get away with not wearing a tie.

Was thinking either:

Navy linen suit • White shirt • Black or Brown captoes • Pocket Square

Or

Light grey linen suit • Light blue shirt (or a gingham) • Brown Captoes • Pocket Square

As mentioned above, it's my best mate's wedding so I'm guessing it's only right I wear a damn tie.

Final two questions:

1. Point collar or cutaway collar? Is there a rule or it's a personal preference thing?
    2. We're in the tropics, so can I get away with showing ankles and suede loafers?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  16. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Unless it's on the beach or if he tells you not to wear one wear a tie.

Either suit is fine I would stick to a white shirt.

Point collar for a wedding.

Loafers are fine but wear socks for a wedding. And not some heavy weight boat shoe sized loafer but a slim dress one if you have to.

17. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

Thanks @culverwood. I'll go with a white shirt either way and probably a brown suede captoe if I go light grey. Gotta go look at ties and pocket squares now!

18. archibaldleach

@drmmr, I'd definitely wear a tie. Some sort of wedding tie or tie in the silver / grey range for the navy suit. For the light grey suit, perhaps a dark navy tie. White shirt either way. I'd go with a standard spread collar. A cutaway is too extreme of a look IMO and a true point collar does not look good.

19. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

Thanks for the input,@archibaldleach! Looks like simple does it. Was thinking of getting a nice but simple patterned tie. Drake's or something. I'll definitely check out spread collars and decide between point and spread.

Really appreciate the advice gentlemen. Just a wee bit anxious cos it's my best mate's wedding and the last time I attended a wedding I was in high school and turned up looking like a proper twat

20. mfridman

mfridman Well-Known Member

I have a question about an appropriate tie for a wedding:

My friend had his wedding past Saturday, and I wore a grey glen-plaid tie with a white shirt and a navy suit. Today is my gf's brother wedding, and I am also wearing a navy suit and a white shirt - but different ones. I don't know how should I approach the tie - should I wear the same one I wore just 3 days ago? Or can I go with a classic navy jacquard tie?