• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm glad that the general consensus seems to be in my favor!

ImTheGroom - is there anything in particular you would like to warn me about given that you just got married? :) I have read and I'm trying my best to adhere to the guidelines. 

I have already decided on a tux - 3 piece with black vest. Satin peak lapel jacket no vents. White winged collar shirt with self-tied black bow tie. Pulling this off on the other hand is another story...

What's your budget for the outfit? I have become quite adept at good looking tuxedos on a tight budget.

Speak up about the stuff you care about, and shut it about the stuff you don't. And if you really do hate something, veto it, unless she wants it more than you dont want it. Buy the things you want, and don't spend money on the stuff that someone else insists matters. For example, I didn't let a couple of people convince me we had to shuttle everyone around in limousine's all day at a cost of $6000. I and the groomsmen arrived in a can, my parents in their caddy, the parents of the bride in a cab. And no one remembers any of that. The food, our clothes, and live music were important to us, so we made those happen. Also, most of the cake is about how it looks, meaning, unless you have 250 guests, there will be a LOT of cake left over.

Enjoy the planning. It's stressful, but it's fun, and you only get to do it once.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
What are you doing for the vest? Don't get one like the one in your picture. It is way too high. It is not easy to find a proper tuxedo vest without having one custom-made, or finding a 3-piece tuxedo that already has one.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
What are you doing for the vest? Don't get one like the one in your picture. It is way too high. It is not easy to find a proper tuxedo vest without having one custom-made, or finding a 3-piece tuxedo that already has one.
Very true. I found mine by google searching vintage tuxedo vest, vintage evening waistcoat, etc. every day for a few weeks. Accept that alterations will ge necessary and plan for them in your budget. Getting a standard 5-button vest altered to a shield shape (or u shape) may be your most likely route for a cost effective solution.

Last edited:

darkbliss

Reaction score
What's your budget for the outfit? I have become quite adept at good looking tuxedos on a tight budget.

Speak up about the stuff you care about, and shut it about the stuff you don't....

Enjoy the planning. It's stressful, but it's fun, and you only get to do it once.
I wish I spoke to you sooner! I have already organised a MTM tuxedo and have actually posted a tuxedo check thread however it has not been posted yet. I'll leave the links here just in case you don't stumble upon it. I also have a shawl tuxedo that I am also considering too. Which do you guys prefer and any advice on how to improve the fit? Please note I did not have an appropriate tie handy and the tie I have on is a place holder.

Also thanks for the solid tips for the wedding planning, very wise words.

In the daytime?
Apologies for my misunderstanding - what I described above is my evening wear however I do not plan to go down the morning suit path - several factors the main ones being my short build and lack of experience and guidance, I just want to be 'safe' but feel free to convince me otherwise! With regard to the morning wear - I am still undecided however I'd like to somehow incorporate my tuxedo (cost being a factor) with a 'morning spin' - what would you guys advise?

He has read BTG, so he knows the rule, and has decided to go with a Tuxedo. Up to him if he wants to follow or break the rules. Obviously, I'm in the morning dress camp, but it isn't my wedding.
Very envious of your morning suit, you have given me some food for thought - is it possible to look good being a short small build male? Also cost is definitely a major factor (hence i went the MTM route) is a morning suit for ~$500 possible?

Thanks guys you've been extremely helpful.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speak up about the stuff you care about, and shut it about the stuff you don't. And if you really do hate something, veto it, unless she wants it more than you don't want it. Buy the things you want, and don't spend money on the stuff that someone else insists matters. For example, I didn't let a couple of people convince me we had to shuttle everyone around in limousine's all day at a cost of $6000. I and the groomsmen arrived in a can, my parents in their caddy, the parents of the bride in a cab. And no one remembers any of that. The food, our clothes, and live music were important to us, so we made those happen. Also, most of the cake is about how it looks, meaning, unless you have 250 guests, there will be a LOT of cake left over.

+1 And when you are choosing the wine don't pick one that is too easily drunk. Those tasteless ones with a high alcohol content will leave some guest under the table where a wine with a stronger taste and lower alcohol content will not.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
+1.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very true. I found mine by google searching vintage tuxedo vest, vintage evening waistcoat, etc. every day for a few weeks. Accept that alterations will ge necessary and plan for them in your budget. Getting a standard 5-button vest altered to a shield shape (or u shape) may be your most likely route for a cost effective solution.

It never occurred to me that I could start with a 5-button and get it altered. Good to know.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Some action shots from my wedding about 7 weeks ago now!

ar638

Reaction score
hi. this forum has been very educational and i've learnt a lot in the few weeks i've been browsing it. but now i'm in need of some more pointed advice for an important day coming up.

i'm getting married in dec, in the tropics, in a partly outdoor ceremony. i've been toying with the idea of a medium or light grey suit with a light pink or light peach/orange shirt, and need some advice on what route to take with regard to the following:

1. shoes - thinking either black, brown or burgundy lace ups (oxfords/wingtips/brogues). i'm really not sure which would work better, and in case of brown or burgundy, which shade to go with.

2. necktie - initially i thought i would do without one but now i'm thinking i should wear one to complete the look. any views on a dark knitted tie, colour depending on the rest of the accessories?

3. others - would very much appreciate any other advice on pocket squares, socks, cufflinks, etc.

FYI i'm of dark brown complexion.

many thanks in advance to all those who reply!

attaching below a pic of the suit and shirt material i have in mind (shirt material would be the bottom most one). getting the suit and shirt custom made.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'll leave aside the whole navy vs. grey issue, but will suggest that you go with a darker grey suit. Lighter grey is more casual and at least IMO a bit summery. I'd go with a white shirt and a wedding tie and black oxfords.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. The darker suit gives you more opportunity to add colour with the tie, as well; a light grey suit really wants a dark grey, navy or a black tie in my opinion.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont have a problem with the color suit given that it is in the tropics and presumably reasonably casual. I have a bigger problem with the color of the shirt--light blue is the right answer here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads