1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Hey all!

So I got my suit from SS (made to measure program) for the first fitting. Thoughts? I think just about everything is flexible still other than the fabric (which I like, so that's good).

The last pic is of a tie I am seriously considering. As a reminder, this is for a memorial day outside wedding in Maryland, and my fiancee's dress is fairly formal. I'm leaning strongly towards getting a lilly-of-the-valley lapel flower, and am considering a pocket square (white?). The shoes in the picture are the ones that I'm planning on wearing. I'll get a different white dress shirt.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Craig10114

Craig10114 New Member

Hi All -

New to the site, came here looking for wedding advice. Pardon my ignorance if this question has been covered in the prior 80 or so pages!

I was pretty lax with my groomsman as far as where their tux came from, though a majority of my men joined me at Alabaster and Chess and we went the custom black tuxedo route (2 button, notch lapel)

[​IMG]

My question comes in the form of the all important sock game. I'm fairly loud when it comes to my day-to-day work socks, and my fiance want's me to take the same course with the socks to match her pink bridesmaid dresses. So far, the only thing I can find that matches her color is pink and grey (Socks Here). What are your thoughts on the grey with the black tuxedo? I'm not sure I'm a fan.

The other option is custom socks...

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry, pink socks with a tuxedo sounds pretty terrible. If matching bridesmaids, even worse.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

-Pants look long. Pants also looked horrible in the back. May need a proper pressing.
    -Shirt cuffs not showing? You need to wear a proper shirt when getting fitted again.

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1.

Jeez......can everyone understand that the bride to be DOESN'T always know anything about menswear!
    This is a wedding..not a prom and you are not 17!

1 person likes this.
  6. Craig10114

Craig10114 New Member

You must not be married, and if you are you should understand that it has nothing to do with her not knowing anything about menswear, it has to do with me wanting her to be happy on our wedding day. If it were up to me, we'd be wearing black socks.... but she wants some color, is that the end of the world?

7. unbelragazzo

Could you compromise by wearing a pink boutonnière or something? Pink socks with a tuxedo is pretty naff IMHO. When all the guys are wearing them and they're matching the bridesmaids, it's really distracting.

8. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Another way to work pink into your outfit could be in your cufflinks... I wouldn't get solid pink, but I'm sure you can find some tasteful ones with pink accents. Similarly subtle to socks, but maybe less of a faux pas?

9. unbelragazzo

Also are you wearing a long tie with your tuxedo as in the picture? I strongly recommend you consider a bow tie instead.

10. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I wonder if we are seeing the start of a new dress standard in the USA. Tuxedo with long tie during the day and with bow tie in the evening/night.

11. LondonFashion91

LondonFashion91 New Member

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  12. unbelragazzo

I haven't seen much correlation between time of day and neckwear. Although I guess if the wearing of a tuxedo during the day arises from ignorance, the long tie might often come with it.

No.

1 person likes this.
  13. Craig10114

Craig10114 New Member

Wow, that is bold! I couldn't pull that off, but thanks for the suggestion!

That's an option I've put on the table. Our florist said he could dye just the tips of white roses to match her dresses... I think that would give her the look she wants while maintaining sanity on my feet

I'm wearing a set of antique bull/bear cufflinks that have been passed down to me, or else this would have been a great idea. Thanks!
    Long tie. While I agree the bow tie is the more proper choice, I find they make my face look much rounder and I'm not a fan of how that looks in pictures.

14. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Coming from the guy who isn't yet married... :fonz:
    Seriously, though, the art of compromise does not dictate that the bride always gets her way. That's how we get monstrosities like the current wedding industry.

This sounds like a fantastic and distinctive option.

1 person likes this.
  15. unbelragazzo

There are many different bow tie shapes. Maybe experiment to find one that flatters your face more?

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Quote:
    Quote:I have not noticed anything to do with ties, but what I do think we are seeing evolving is an American tradition of grey tuxedos (for lack of another term) as day time formal attire, or at least as day time wedding attire. It'll probably take 30 or 40 years to settle itself, but I think that's where we're going. We'll also have to get out of the trend of using one of basically three current trends (suspenders/shirt/bow tie, matching vest and pants, chucks/jeans/vest) as an expression of individuality. But, it'll go, then come back in another form, as it always does.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I really, really hope that you are wrong about this trend. If we're going to wear grey tuxedos (though I am not sure something grey can even be called a tuxedo properly), we might as well wear full morning dress instead.

18. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I agree, but morning dress has basically died in North America, and nothing has come along to replace it, which has led to Tuxedos during the day, with contrasting vests, and all kinds of hybrids of evening and day time formal wear. I think grey suits with silk faced lapels look quite nice, to be honest, more so the ones with the facing just around the edge of the lapel. They are a nice colour to wear during the day. I prefer morning coats, as well, but I would not have a problem seeing a different formal wear tradition arise in the US. If it becomes the standard, then we can start seeing quality versions of it worn, and people will buy these suits, and have them properly fitted, to the same extent as people do with Tuxedos. It would be much better than the confusing mish mash we have currently.

19. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Can't go wrong with a charcoal or dark navy 3 piece.

20. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

No argument, though there isn't really anywhere to go for higher formality during the day in the US. If grey "tuxedos" became a standard, you could also (as a guest) wear a grey suit to a wedding, or garden party, the way one would wear a navy, charcoal, or black suit (I know black is up for dispute :p) to a Black Tie Requested/Optional event.