• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Firefox

Reaction score
I don't know you that well...but I have a feeling that if anyone spit on your formalwear, they would be harmed with the business end of a hockey stick....
shog[1].gif

Just because the guy's Canadian doesn't mean you've gotta stereotype, eh... take off hoser!
smile.gif

It is supposed to be "no effs given" but my phone changed the word - it means not giving any f@#k's, but wearing your own style. Doing it correctly means looking excellent at the same time. Rock the bow tie, is my main point.

For what it's worth, the Japanese diplomat villians from the Tintin books always wore bow ties with their morning dress. Most of those books were written in the late 1920s and early 1930s, IIRC.

I think that's the first time I ever saw morning dress, albeit in cartoon form.

Last edited:

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score

It is supposed to be "no effs given" but my phone changed the word - it means not giving any f@#k's, but wearing your own style.  Doing it correctly means looking excellent at the same time.  Rock the bow tie, is my main point.

Oh now I get it thanks! I also think that before before I go to the tailor I have to decide the cut of the coat which in my opinion will determine the appropriate look of the bow tie or the one in intending, my point is that the classic single buttoned morning coat that leaves a lot of room in the chest is perfect for a necktie but since I'm going for the bow
tie perhaps it will work better with a 1880 three buttoned morning coat like this:
Do you think I might be right?

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score
R

Just because the guy's Canadian doesn't mean you've gotta stereotype, eh... take off hoser! :)

For what it's worth, the Japanese diplomat villians from the Tintin books always wore bow ties with their morning dress. Most of those books were written in the late 1920s and early 1930s, IIRC.

I think that's the first time I ever saw morning dress, albeit in cartoon form.
[/quote

That's a piece of interesting info thanks!

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh now I get it thanks! I also think that before before I go to the tailor I have to decide the cut of the coat which in my opinion will determine the appropriate look of the bow tie or the one in intending, my point is that the classic single buttoned morning coat that leaves a lot of room in the chest is perfect for a necktie but since I'm going for the bow
tie perhaps it will work better with a 1880 three buttoned morning coat like this:
Do you think I might be right?

Do not do that! You have a waistcoat to play with the V opening. Anything other then a 1 button morning coat will look costumy/vintage.. You will probably have it open most of the time anyway

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score
[quote name="marcodalondra"
Do not do that! You have a waistcoat to play with the V opening. Anything other then a 1 button morning coat will look costumy/vintage.. You will probably have it open most of the time anyway[/quote]

So, would you recommend a double breasted or a simple breasted to enhance the look of the bow ties because I was thinking on a nonback waistcoat just in case I take the coat off so I can show a bit of my suspenders...

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, would you recommend a double breasted or a simple breasted to enhance the look of the bow ties because I was thinking on a nonback waistcoat just in case I take the coat off so I can show a bit of my suspenders...
Suspenders are underwear -- they aren't meant to be shown off.

Or as blacktieguide.com puts it:

Because you would never be so uncouth as to remove your jacket at a formal event your suspenders will never be seen by anyone other than your intimate companions.​

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="marcodalondra"
Do not do that! You have a waistcoat to play with the V opening. Anything other then a 1 button morning coat will look costumy/vintage.. You will probably have it open most of the time anyway

So, would you recommend a double breasted or a simple breasted to enhance the look of the bow ties because I was thinking on a nonback waistcoat just in case I take the coat off so I can show a bit of my suspenders...[/quote]

Personally I think single breast is better in this case as you can have it higher, while I prefer and w ll be ordering, a more open double breasted for a tie.

Forget about showing suspenders

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally I think single breast is better in this case as you can have it higher, while I prefer and w ll be ordering, a more open double breasted for a tie.

Forget about showing suspenders[/QUOTE]

I agree that a single breasted, one button is the best look. As before, since you are going with the bow tie, I would limit your other details to be very classic and traditional. I wore a single breasted, one-button, with a link closure - it's actually vintage, about 80 years old. Are you having your waistcoat made, buchoel brusco? And, have you read the morning dress section of blacktieguide.com, morningdressguide.com and http://andrewsandpygott.wordpress.com/ ? All should be read front to back before setting out on getting your morning dress. Make sure you show roughly the same amount of waistcoat above and below the button point of your coat.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all I'd really like to thank Veremund, ImTheGroom, and everyone else who intervened whith suggestions and ideas in this journey of mine to my wedding attire which I found profoundly interesting and entertaining.
The last two days I took my time (cos I've got some offs from work) to put together all the information and advices to finally came to a decision and of course I want to share to with you. First of all I had to quit the morning dress because requiring it for my guests here in Bolivia is practically impossible most people don't even know what that is; here's its formal wear (suits) and informal wear (jeans or chinos) so I was intending to give morning dresses to my groomsmen but it was out of our budget so I found inadequate to wear one myself as I would be the only one but reading the suggested Andrews and Pygott link I found the semi formal morning dress and fell immediately cos I've already had the cloths for my morning dress which I really fancy, that sorted I headed to the best tailor in town and dropped my clothes and have the tailor meassured me and in a couple of weeks I have my first try once it's done I'll share some pics for sure!! Well thanks again this's been really helpful!

One more thing I'd like to share some pics of the grooms trend here in Santa Cruz Bolivia for you to understand how awful and uncouth men taste is here and why I really don't want to fall in the vast mass of poorly dressed grooms, would you be intersted?

Regards,

Bucho

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found inadequate to wear one myself as I would be the only one

I was the only one in morning dress at my wedding, with groomsmen in grey suits, and fathers in strollers (semi-formal). I think your choice of a stroller is an excellent one, and if it is what you want, then you should absolutely do it. But, no one thought it was strange for me to be the only one.

ForeverSkinny

Reaction score
Total noob here... Been trolling SF for some time, but due to $$$/laziness, I've been wearing ill fitting suits, poorly done MTM shirts, and just barely getting by. Now that all has to change and I'm hoping SF can help me out.

About me: 26, 5'5", 28" waist, 125lb and super thin, short arms (~29"-30")... OTR suits & shirts are basically impossible for me. I'm young, like to wear colorful socks, slim fit pants, skinny ties, friends think I know a lot about fashion when really I'm a beginner...

Anyways, I'm a groomsman at a black tie wedding (upper class NYC, everyone will be well dressed) in a few months and in 7 days I will be in Hong Kong for 2.5 weeks. Due to an insane travelling schedule, this is basically my only chance to get something made in time for the wedding. Added bonus if this same tux could work for my wedding some day.
So, I'm considering getting a bespoke tuxedo made while in HK and SF seems to recommend W.W.Chan. Should I visit someone else in HK (A Man Hing Cheong, Ascot Chang, Jantzen)?

I need so much help filling in the blanks / mistakes below. Probably not good to walk into my tailoring appointment not knowing what I'm talking about.

Jacket:
Color: Black (groom is telling me black only so I think midnight blue is out of the question)
Fabric: ??? (Not a clue, HELP!)
Lapel: Peak (how small can I make it? As I said, I'm thin), GrosGrain finish, With a
Jacket Type: One Botton
Sleeve Length: Show 1/2" French Cuff
Sleeves: tapered / slim
Vents: Double Vent
Pockets: double besom sewn shut, GrosGrain twill weave
Fit: Super Slim Fit

Pants:
Non Pleated
GrosGrain twill weave down the sides
No Cuffs, Hemmed with minimal Break
Tapered, Urban Slim Fit

Shirt (should I get this made at the same tailor or somewhere else?)
Color: White
Placket: hidden (should I get a 4-button removable placket as well?)
Collar: Spread, Turndown
Fit: Super Slim Fit

Bow Tie: Self Tie, Black GrosGrain (is this ok? http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page_bowties.asp?pn=B1228 )

Cummerbund / Waistcoat / Vest: Not sure where else to get a Cummerbund except with the tailor (will they make this?) Should I instead opt for a vest or waistcoat?

I know there are tons of details I'm missing. I just really want this all to turn out well as this is a significant amount of money for me. I'm really hoping you guys can help me fill in the missing blanks and stuff I haven't even thought of.
-Lining?
-Armhole Positioning?
-Buttons on Pants?
-Type of Buttons for jacket / shirt / pants?
-Placement for embroidering of initials on Shirt / Jacket, if at all?

ovlov

Reaction score
Ok guys I apologise for all the random queries as I know I have been posting a lot.

Current question is mostly from and aesthetic perspective. Is it a reasonable idea to have none matching shoes for the bridal party?

Its a winery/garden wedding with lounge attire. Likely we will all be wearing navy or grey suits. Would it be odd for us to wear different shoes. ie. the best man has a pair of brown JLs and one of the groomsmen recently ordered a spiffy pair of burgundy wingtips as his first foray into non-corrected leather shoes. I'm thinking of going navy or burgundy as well.

Given that true formality has already been thrown out the window due to practicality issues I'm not looking to be berated for not going morning dress (if only I could but the rentals round this way all look too costumish) but rather will it look odd/out of place in a standard outdoor 'casual' wedding.?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads