• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WinstonWolfe

Reaction score
Ceremony will be at 5 or 5:30 and all pictures will be beforehand so that might be an issue. Too late now to change suits so I hope it looks OK. We have a great photographer, hopefully that will help.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ceremony will be at 5 or 5:30 and all pictures will be beforehand so that might be an issue. Too late now to change suits so I hope it looks OK. We have a great photographer, hopefully that will help.

Black lounge suits may not be at their best in day time, but it's more that they don't look good in striking, brilliant sunlight. It's fall; you're taking your photos in the late afternoon, sounds like, so I think you'll look great. Really, once you've made sure your clothes fit, and you don't have outrageous colour combinations, it comes down to the photographer, whether or not your pictures look good.

Congrats on the wedding; I got married 30 days ago. Take your time, soak it in, and enjoy everything. Once the ball is in motion, nothing to do but enjoy the ride. As for pictures, there will be lots to choose from, so there surely will be ones you love, and will want to keep forever, regardless of what anyone is wearing.

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score
I'm getting married in two months and I have already figures out my attire it will be a morning dress black morning coat, grey waist coat, and grey striped trousers with a bourdo bow tie and suspenders any comments and advices are more than welcome

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting married in two months and I have already figures out my attire it will be a morning dress black morning coat, grey waist coat, and grey striped trousers with a bourdo bow tie and suspenders any comments and advices are more than welcome

Find a topper that fits on eBay. I found it well worth it! Sounds like you know just what you want, and you are well within the confines of morning dress tradition. Check out www.savyrow.co.uk for morning coats. I got mine from them, and it was exactly as promised. Shipping to Canada was under $20. Carry on, sir!

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score
Wondering if I could get some advice on a suiting decision. I'm getting married next June, and it's planned to be an afternoon ceremony. There's an ensemble I saw on here by zerostyle that I really like and would like to do something similar:

I would purchase the buff waistcoat, and I already have a glen plaid wedding tie that I would like to wear (as well as white shirt); but I'm kind of wondering if I'd be able to pull that off with suits that I already own. I do have a navy suit that fits ok; the cut is rather boxy, however (it was one of the first MTM suits I had purchased).

Don't mind the Half Windsor.

My best fitting suit is my Benjamin in charcoal:

So, I may end up buying another navy suit; but my question is: if you were to go with one of the above, which would you choose? Or do you think it doesn't matter either way? Ideally, I'd like to wear a navy suit; but would this be a case where it would be better to go with the one that's a better cut?

Cheers

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score

These are the fabrics I hope image shows up this time, thanks for the advice, I actually was planing on passing on the topper since the wedding is in a Japanese garden but the party per se is in a hall inside the garden..

blackbowtie

Reaction score

Find a topper that fits on eBay.  I found it well worth it!

I've been to a couple of weddings that called for morning dress (mainly in Germany) and never saw anyone wearing a top hat, not even the groom. Are top hats still de rigueur at weddings in your part of the world?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 I do not remember any top hats at weddings only Ascot.

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score

I've been to a couple of weddings that called for morning dress (mainly in Germany) and never saw anyone wearing a top hat, not even the groom. Are top hats still de rigueur at weddings in your part of the world?

That's what I thought, any comments on the combination I've up together?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabrics look fine in the picture though the coat is most often with a back herringbone design. I am a little concerned if you are getting married in 2 months time and still have not started having the suit made that all will be ready on time. Of course I may have misunderstood but I know how long it can take in the UK to go from zero to finished and properly fitting suit and morning coats are not the simplest things to make.

Firefox

Reaction score
Just a cautionary tale for all the grooms-to-be out there: My brother decided a couple weeks ago that he was going to order a MTM suit online to wear as a groomsman in my wedding party. I warned him that he needed to allow more time than that for a mail-order MTM suit, but he ignored me. I spoke with him yesterday, and shocker of shockers, it looks like it won't arrive in time.

To anyone planning their wedding attire (and especially anyone contemplating a MTM or custom-orderered suit), it is literally never too early to get your clothes together. Unless you seriously anticipate that you will be gaining or losing a ton of weight in the span of a few months, there is nothing to lose by getting everything organized months in advance. It's not like your clothes have a best-before date; they will still be there waiting for you when the big day rolls around.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep. How soon before the wedding did he order?

The Phog

Reaction score
Facet, personally, I like the second suit better.And from what I've gathered from this thread so far, charcoal/grey is just as appropriate as navy for a groom.

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are not de rigeur - nor is morning dress. They are just fantastic, and ought to be worn at every possible occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads