1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

unbelragazzo, the tux I intend to buy is the Suit Supply peak lapel tux. The lapel facings are silk. That is, if the suit fits me well, otherwise I'll have to dig up and find another option (though SS option is hard to beat, for the price, styling and fabric used).

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_CA/suit...t&prefv2=Evening-Smoking&prefv1=Spring/Summer

2. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I considered wearing a wingtip collar shirt but then, I decided to go with a laydown collar (classic medium spread). My opinion is that while wingtip collars really fit in the black tie attire, I favor them with white tie. Plus, with a laydown collar, I don't have to worry about buying a no adjustor bow tie, because the adjuster hardware will be hidden.

Thanks a lot for your input random-adam!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I meant are they grosgrain or satin...it looks like they're satin from the pic.

4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Cumberbund for sure. Black or white braces are fine. I'd favour a white shirt over ivory. Is the ivory shirt to match your bride's dress, or just a personal preference?

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Quote: My wife-to-be gives me total control over my tux for our wedding. The only thing that she asks is for me to wear an ivory shirt because her wedding dress is an off-white/eggshell color and it's supposed to look dirty yellow should I wear a crisp white shirt next to her. At first I hesitated and showed her photos to prove her wrong, but then I realized, this is her day, she's the one who's supposed to shine on the altar, so I'm not going to steal her show. If she wants me to wear an ivory shirt, I'll happily comply, even though I think a white bib front shirt would've looked better.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

This myth is very pervasive among brides. I find it somewhat vexing, as an ivory shirt is incorrect with a Tuxedo. I would only argue that it is your day, as well as hers, and that the very nature of men's diurnal wear, evening wear especially, is designed to be a back drop fit the ladies' attire. Anyway, sounds like you're making an informed decision, and consideration, and compromise are certainly gentlemanly traits, so carry on.

7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I hear you, and I certainly think the same way. However, you and I both know that we, men, need to decide which battle we choose to fight and this is one I'm not willing to carry on! But thanks, at least for my sanity, I now know I'm not the only one annoyed by this so-called "fact". [​IMG]

8. unbelragazzo

I don't think ivory is incorrect...cream silk in particular is elegant, if somewhat uncommon. For instance, Budd lists this in the "dress shirt" section:

http://www.buddshirts.co.uk/cream-silk-dress-shirt.html

and styles it in the pic with a black bow tie, even though it has buttons and no dress front. But they will make it up with those things for bespoke orders obviously. Also, Emma Willis:

http://www.emmawillis.com/collectio...-silk-pique-shirt/products_id/200/cPath/15_48

Both these stores, Budd in particular, are fairly traditional, so mostly sticking to "the rules" of black tie.

9. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Silk shirts, I believe, are an exception, because they would have to be harshly bleached, to be white. An ivory, or off-white, cotton shirt would not be correct, from everything I've seen, and read.

10. unbelragazzo

That may be true. All the more reason for our friend to get a silk shirt if he can (I realize the ones I linked are quite expensive, but perhaps you could hunt around eBay and hope to get lucky).

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Drawbacks are that silk can wear quite hot, and is much less forgiving to perspiration. Cotton breathes much more freely.

1 person likes this.
  12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

What time is the wedding?

13. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

That's the thing. Wedding is a 4h30 in the afternoon and the reception starts around 6h30 PM. I know I shouldn't be wearing the tux for the wedding (during day time) because it is against protocols, but hey..

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Yea protocol dictates wearing morning dress into the evening, in this case,if there is no opportunity to change.

15. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I say that's bullshit. Don't look at the clock. It is either a daytime affair or an evening affair. I might look askance at a black tux for a 11am wedding followed by a lunch reception...but having the ceremony at 4:30 leading immediately into a dinner is clearly an evening event. Do not sweat it.

Unless of course if you are ImTheGroom and just want an excuse to show off yet another outfit...then by all means... :nodding:

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

You say that as though not everyone wants this...

4 people like this.
  17. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

Completely agree...

...but maybe thats cause im doing the exact same thing in October.

2 people like this.
  18. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Congratulations NefariousSabatour!

Quote: I say that's bullshit. Don't look at the clock. It is either a daytime affair or an evening affair. I might look askance at a black tux for a 11am wedding followed by a lunch reception...but having the ceremony at 4:30 leading immediately into a dinner is clearly an evening event. Do not sweat it.

My thoughts exactly. I might as well be the only one in the whole reception aware of these 'rules'.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I think that the location as well as the time of the ceremony is equally important, as I said before. If it is in a church, then no matter the time, one should not wear a dinner suit (tuxedo), as it is simply not appropriate.
    Forgetting those online guides for a moment, if one seek to read the proper etiquette books from early 1900 to 1960 (at least in Europe for the later part), great emphasis is given to the type of wedding, then location then time of the ceremony. As a matter of fact, it was more common across Europe old money families to get married in full white tie (I have posted examples on my blog), even in versions with a black waistcoat (I suspect high ranking clergy to be present at those events).

Rather then morning coats, that in some part of the world are verging on costume anyway, it would be more appropriate to consider white tie /evening tails for an afternoon into evening event.

20. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I am trying to figure out your train of thought? You think there would be a benefit to having evening clothing bleeding into the daytime hours by making them even MORE formal?

The rules of etiquette were written at a time where for an evening wedding the ceremony rarely began before 6pm, and then everyone went right into the reception. Nowadays there is some lag time, either because they want time for pictures or because they have to accommodate multiple couples who want to get married in the church that particular day.

The Bottom Line: One will always look more appropriate wearing a tuxedo from 4:30pm through midnight then wearing a morning suit from 4:30 through midnight.

1 person likes this.