• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, is it common now to dress the fathers with the wedding party?

No. But if the wedding is morning dress or evening dress the fathers will be wearing as the dress code as should the "wedding party".

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, my turn. This is not a joke. I'm serious.

I have an impending wedding ceremony for a niece, scheduled for late September to be held at her home/yard/patio in a 'suburb' of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I have been reliably informed by the father of the bride (my brother in law) that he will be in a suit, due to his part in the wedding but that there will be a large quantity of ex-high school/college football players in attendance whose idea of dressing well includes an outsized polo shirt bearing either their favorite pro/college team or the Under Armour
00ae.png
logo and a fresh pair of Dockers
00ae.png
or khaki shorts. See accompanying pics below.

I have discussed what I should wear with him at some length and we have settled on a sport coat without tie and a pair of casual dress pants somewhere above the level of chinos. It's generally hot and muggy down there but this WILL be early Fall so I don't expect it to be tweed weather.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are these polo wearing types going to be your age or the bride's age?

My goals in this situation would be 1) show respect to your in laws by looking nice but not taking any attention away from the bride 2) wear something I enjoy 3) not have the bros think I'm too much of a city slicker, in that order.

If it's as I'm imagining, most of the dudes wearing a jacket will wear a navy blazer with those kind of taupe/olive-ish wool trousers and loafers. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

If you want to wear something different, I wouldn't worry about wearing farmer colors like brown. I doubt they'd see you in a brown jacket and think you're not dressed up enough. Aside from wearing loafers, you can also be a little less dressy with a woven leather belt or a tattersall shirt. I'd guess other dudes will be wearing white shirts. I also don't think wearing well pressed dressy chinos is a bad option. As long as they're not the rumpled cargo pocketed type things.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Okay, my turn. This is not a joke. I'm serious.

I have an impending wedding ceremony for a niece, scheduled for late September to be held at her home/yard/patio in a 'suburb' of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I have been reliably informed by the father of the bride (my brother in law) that he will be in a suit, due to his part in the wedding but that there will be a large quantity of ex-high school/college football players in attendance whose idea of dressing well includes an outsized polo shirt bearing either their favorite pro/college team or the Under Armour
00ae.png
logo and a fresh pair of Dockers
00ae.png
or khaki shorts.

I have discussed what I should wear with him at some length and we have settled on a sport coat without tie and a pair of casual dress pants somewhere above the level of chinos. It's generally hot and muggy down there but this WILL be early Fall so I don't expect it to be tweed weather.

Suggestions?

I think what you have settled on to wear sounds appropriate based upon the circumstances, location, etc. You might even want to try a nice white or light blue polo instead of a regular cotton shirt under your jacket. (sans sport logos :) ).

Maybe something like this but with khaki pants.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd not wear a DB or a hat in this situation. It'll look very dandified and attract attention. As a guest at a wedding, my goal is not to take too much attention from the bride and groom.

That looks like a very nice Gus-in-SF outfit, but not a great Tom-in-MS look.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is a sunny day, in a backyard ceremony , a hat with a brim is appropriate. (You see this style of hat in the South on golf courses. it isn't exactly exotic :)

I agree the DB could be switched out for a single and you don't want to be "the dandy". The above was more of a general no-tie look to be adjusted for the specific situation. As soon as Dig pairs it with his khakis and a SB blue blazer from his closet, it will easily fit in with the good ol boys polos and Tommy Bahama tan shorts and wrap around sunglasses.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think what you have settled on to wear sounds appropriate based upon the circumstances, location, etc. You might even want to try a nice white or light blue polo instead of a regular cotton shirt under your jacket. (sans sport logos :) ).

I don't want to wear my straw Panama on the plane ride nor carry it aboard in its hat box. It would not cause too many looks since the family has seen me in it and another family member who has no hair atop his head is currently enamored with stingy brim Fedoras, which I turned him on to in my pre SF days. :embar: At least they were a step up from the trucker ball caps he always wore...everywhere.
Since this pic was taken, I now trun the brim down in the front to look less mafiosi.

I'd not wear a DB or a hat in this situation. It'll look very dandified and attract attention. As a guest at a wedding, my goal is not to take too much attention from the bride and groom.

That looks like a very nice Gus-in-SF outfit, but not a great Tom-in-MS look.

You're probably right.

If it is a sunny day, in a backyard ceremony , a hat with a brim is appropriate. (You see this style of hat in the South on golf courses. it isn't exactly exotic :)

I agree the DB could be switched out for a single and you don't want to be "the dandy". The above was more of a general no-tie look to be adjusted for the specific situation. As soon as Dig pairs it with his khakis and a SB blue blazer from his closet, it will easily fit in with the good ol boys polos and Tommy Bahama tan shorts and wrap around sunglasses.

The aforementioned fedora wearing fellow asked my assistance about a year ago to help him upgrade his 'business look' and I found him a JAB navy blazer and a couple of Nordy and BB dress shirts. Now, everytime I see him on facebook at some family event, he is wearing that damned blazer and the striped Nordstrom shirt. :brick: I don't want to detract from his swag and I certainly don't want to look like we're on the same debating team so my BB blazer and gray dress pants may not make this trip.

I have a houndstooth Hickey sc that is lightweight enough so that moderate temps shouldn't affect me but won't be out of place for a mid Autumn wedding and some light tan RLPL wool dress pants. I'd still rather go with a LS dress shirt but the busy SC will dictate a solid shirt, no? Couple this with some chestnut punchtoe bluchers and I may just call it a day.

This, but lose the tie, sweater and swap out the pants for something more fitted and light tan/cream?

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good to me. I think a tattersall could still be good. But ymmv.

I have a white one with big boxes in blue that will pick up the color in the sc. You might have just completed the look. I'll try for a fit pic in the next week or so.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, Dig, you really did a personal make-over. I had never seen your "before" pics. Congratulations. :slayer:

bhoves

Reaction score
I don't want to wear my straw Panama on the plane ride nor carry it aboard in its hat box. It would not cause too many looks since the family has seen me in it and another family member who has no hair atop his head is currently enamored with stingy brim Fedoras, which I turned him on to in my pre SF days.
shog[1].gif
At least they were a step up from the trucker ball caps he always wore...everywhere.
Since this pic was taken, I now trun the brim down in the front to look less mafiosi.

You're probably right.
The aforementioned fedora wearing fellow asked my assistance about a year ago to help him upgrade his 'business look' and I found him a JAB navy blazer and a couple of Nordy and BB dress shirts. Now, everytime I see him on facebook at some family event, he is wearing that damned blazer and the striped Nordstrom shirt.
baldy[1].gif
I don't want to detract from his swag and I certainly don't want to look like we're on the same debating team so my BB blazer and gray dress pants may not make this trip.

I have a houndstooth Hickey sc that is lightweight enough so that moderate temps shouldn't affect me but won't be out of place for a mid Autumn wedding and some light tan RLPL wool dress pants. I'd still rather go with a LS dress shirt but the busy SC will dictate a solid shirt, no? Couple this with some chestnut punchtoe bluchers and I may just call it a day.

This, but lose the tie, sweater and swap out the pants for something more fitted and light tan/cream?

Damn, Dig, you really did a personal make-over. I had never seen your "before" pics. Congratulations.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Hoping not to derail the thread to much, but, when I first started lurking Dig had just started posting in WAYWRN. I was always surprise how well Dig took on the advice and criticism (not always constructive) and how quickly his style developed.
I have a 'style file' where I have a collection of fits that I like from forum members and Dig has a good number of fits in there.

So a big congrats to Dig from here too, not just for the dressing better thing, but for getting healthy as well.

[/derail]

candyspan

Reaction score
PICS!!!

Here we go fellas! My July 20th wedding in upstate New York, outside in the heat of the summer wearing my custom David Reeves suit. Anyone in the NYC area, and looking to get a custom suit for his wedding or any other even, and needs someone who's a real professional need to look no further than David. I'm a very difficult fit, more than a 10" drop, and a big chest. He got the fit spot on! Nothing too stylized like some of the ultra slim, ultra short options we are used to seeing these days. But a suit that has all of the appeal of a classic, with a slightly modern twist. I even had pleated pants which were fantastic! I needed those because of my big thighs, and smaller waist due to weight lifting. Those things were executed flawlessly, I'll try to post a pic of me just wearing those if you'd like.

We like pictures, so here a a few. I wore a custom 2pc SB blue Dormeuil Mohair suit, white Thai rough silk tie from Hober, a white Cego shirt with a Keaton style cutaway collar (thank you Carl!), and black Allen Edmonds Fifth Aves. I dance A LOT and I was able to wear this suit outside, for the entire night without taking off the jacket. I've even included a dancing picture to prove it! The reason the dance floor is empty is because one of our guests made my dad and I have a dance off - it was my turn :). Thanks to all of the forum members who were very helpful in my direct advice, and to the general contributors what provide such great content and resources to help others make these fashion decisions for such an important day. I will definitely be happy to look back on these pictures in the years to come...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads