1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Aguy

Aguy Member

Thanks guys,

Any recommendations as far as manufacturers or website for a cotton/linen suit?

2. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Depends a great deal on your budget and where you live. Given that you don't seem to have a heap of experience in suiting ordering online is probably not the way to go (unless you live in Rural US where there are no stores but apparently every online business in the country offers free returns to locals...)

3. Aguy

Aguy Member

So it's my understanding that cotton, linen, and chambray are lighter and cooler than wool?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Slightly OT, but this is how I'm feeling in the last week of wedding planning:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

You'll get there. And a couple of things will go wrong. It's just a matter of which ones. And they won't actually matter, and someone will take care of them for you.

6. dieterhellstorm

dieterhellstorm New Member

I'm searching for a fly front tuxedo dress shirt for my wedding, and I found the below YSL shirt (15 - 38) at Century 21. My question is, per the pictures below, is the collar too big/wide? When I put on my jacket, I think it looks ok. But without, does the collar seems too wide or weird?

Where should the points on the collar be in relation to the jacket lapel? Any suggestions on other slim fit fly front brands?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Collar points should ideally be hidden by your jacket lapels. I would not worry about the collar on the above.

1 person likes this.
  8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I STRONGLY urge you to be more specific with your guests regarding their attire. Your post allows me to trot out my 'Mexican Beach Wedding' story/debacle.

A few years back, my wife (and I, by extension) were invited to attend the wedding of one of her office mates on the beach of the 'Mexican Riviera' at the Rosewood Mayakoba resort. When we inquired about how to dress for the wedding, she told us that we should wear whatever we felt might be comfortable for a beach wedding. I jokingly mentioned swimwear and was told "Absolutely!"

I began to search for information on what to wear. My first error was thinking that since the location for the wedding was Mexico, I should search for how to dress for a Mexican Wedding. The answer came back as Guyabera shirt, linen pants and some sort of sandals.

[​IMG]

As it was early in my SF days, I always traveled with proper dress for all but the most formal of occasions as well as swimwear, just in case. On the day of the wedding, my wife, in a lovely and colorful sundress and I, in my Guyabera shirt, linen pants and basketweave loafers took our seats on the deck overlooking the beach. One other office mate of my wife and her husband also came to the event and he took his seat wearing a brand new generic, synthetic polo shirt and cotton cargo shorts with beach thongs on his otherwise bare feet.

As the other guests began to arrive, I took note that EVERY male guest was wearing either a suit or sport coat and tie. Since the beach was within the resort grounds, there was plenty of time for me to sprint back to our bungalow and change into more compatible attire. I turned to the poor man in the shorts and polo and saw the stricken look on his face as he had come to a similar awareness of the inappropriateness of his state of dress. Unfortunately, he had not come as prepared as I was and had nothing much into which he could change on such short notice.

Thus, in the spirit of solidarity, I remained in my seat in my now ridiculous shirt so that he would not be the 'sore thumb' alone among the sea of suits and coats.

:cheers:

My point, in this tl;dr story is that better guidance from the bridal party would have prevented no small feeling of awkwardness of some of their invited guests. While neither of us had, in no way, done anything wrong based on what we had been told, no one else at the event knew that. I laugh about it now but on that day...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    3 people like this.
  9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

The collar looks greats, as does the self-tie bowtie.

1 person likes this.
  10. Aguy

Aguy Member

I appreciate that anecdote and strong suggestion and see where your coming from. The invitation requests semi-formal, however our families are different ethnicity so I think there will be two different interpretations of that request. So I am not expecting any uniformity but will be happy as long as there is some appropriateness.

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Agreed. Besides, you're wearing a Tuxedo - how it looks without the jacket isn't important anyway.

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

In case you were all tempted to think that Americans had a monopoly on horrific wedding wear, saw a couple getting married on the beach promenade in Naples at mid day, with the groom in ill-fitting tuxedo, best man in metallic bronze suit.

1 person likes this.
  13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

We would all do well to remember that, anywhere you go in the world, 25% of people suck and 75% are dumb. There is significant overlap.

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's fully possible the people involved are neither sucky nor dumb, but I found their wedding wear disagreeable.

15. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Do you mean the rocks near via Caracciolo? they were probably just taking the pictures for the album... We have a word for people like that, Tamarri!

1 person likes this.
  16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Possible, yes. Probable? I dunno, man. I dunno.

17. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

So my suit and shirt arrived today. For weddings the tailor always embroiders the couples initials and wedding date on them. Of course these are completely wrong :( in the scheme of things It probably isn't such a big deal, though I imagine several years from now it my be used as in an argument by one of us that someone forgot an anniversary ;)

Ill post some pics later. Having 2nd thoughts about the shirt since it is quite blue and the rest of the wedding party will be wearing white shirts

18. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

[​IMG]
    So here is the wedding suit. It doesn't show in the picture but the shirt has a light blue pinpoint weave to it.

as mentioned before the groomsmen are in light to mid grey suits and white shirts. I will be getting them a blue grenadine ties in a mix of shades and textures.
    All will be wearing white ps and white bouttonaire.

Question is what is my tie?

At the moment i'm tossing up between

this:

[​IMG] ....... or this........[​IMG]

I was all set on the plaid. But then the earlier comments about it not going with blue shirting got to me and I ordered some other swatches. The Midnight and pintdot grenadine just looks awesome. In a perfect world i'd probably just order both to add to the collection and decide on the day, but I don't think that's going to fit the budget. These are both Sam Hobers if that matters.
    Any input and commentary would be appreciated.

19. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I like this
    with that suit

20. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I think either would work, and if you feel strongly that the glenplaid is better, you should wear it. I like the addition of the red to the fit, too, and think the pindot is probably better. You can probably find a glenplaid tie in a store to try on with the suit, and see what you like best. Neither is wrong; neither is a fail. My vote goes to the midnight/red, but your vote is the one that counts.