• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm also not a huge fan of that particular shade of brown--tan, really, like you said.

OP, you could look at Meermin as well, they have some stuff in the $300 range that is supposed to be really nice. Not sure what your timeframe is like though.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Which shoes are you referring to? I believe the shoes in the "gray suit" picture are Allen Edmonds Strands in walnut, which is one of the 2 pairs he initially wanted.

Agoldsc1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

My sister is getting married in October, so I decided that my formalwear department was due for an upgrade. I wanted something unique, so I got a blue tuxedo à la James Bond (minus the looks, muscles or debonair swagger).

I was originally planning on ordering from Indochino, but decided to stay away based on some pretty scary reviews on this site. Instead, I decided to try one of the newer companies, Black Lapel. My experience with them was very good-- excellent customer service, reasonable prices-- but as we all know, service is useless unless it's coupled with a respectable end product.

When I tried on the tuxedo everything fit pretty well, but something seemed a little off, and I cannot tell what. Here is where I appeal to the experience and knowledge of this esteemed, if somewhat neurotic, crowd. Is something wrong with the tuxedo, or is it just in my head? I don't know why, but it reminds me more of an orchestra conductor or marching band leader than a secret agent with a license to kill.

Note: I KNOW THESE PICTURES AREN'T PERFECT. I took them when I first tried the tuxedo on to show my girlfriend, and now I don't have the tuxedo with me to take better pictures. Again, I am not necessarily asking for specific comments on the fit of the suit (such as length, etc...), but more on the overall product.

Side question: I have another wedding coming up next week, at 11:30am, where I am a mere invitee. The dress-code is black tie optional. Can I still wear this, or are tuxedos before dark a big no-no? And before anyone suggests morning wear, let me nip that in the bud and say that it's not happening.

Thanks!

P.S: Ignore the brown shoes. I just happened to be wearing those that day, but obviously I have a nice pair of patent leather loafers for the dia grande (big day).

thomasB

Reaction score
I tend to agree with unbelragazzo on these shades on tan with a grey suit. However, maybe that's just personal preference and not an egregious pairing. A more casual look nonetheless. That being said...if you're going to go with a tan or walnut shade I would suggest to stick to a classic balmoral style and as opposed to a strand. That makes it a bit more elegant imho. It's your wedding after all, right? How about the Kent Wangs? Just a little above the $300 budget...

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The Strand isn't a classic balmoral style?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ag - suit fit looks pretty decent to me. Front balance maybe a little bit short on the jacket and definitely on the trousers, if that's your natural stance. Left-right balance might be a bit off too, but could just be the way you're standing or the picture.

As for the BTO wedding, they're the ones that set the dress code for 11:30 am. BTO means if you've got a tux, they'd like you to wear it. So appease them and wear it.

scbrooks87

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I have a fairly general question. I am actually going to look pretty similar at my wedding to the current topic for discussion. Light grey suit, I have a pair of walnut strands I'll be wearing with it. I'll be measured in August for the suit, and about 4-5 weeks later I'll receive it. I'm looking to accent the wedding colors with the other parts of my attire. The colors are dark red, cream (off whiteish?) and then white. Would a cream color shirt, with a tie and socks incorporation the red work?

The suit will be 3 piece, I'm going for a somewhat vintage style with a more modern fit. What do you guys think?

The wedding is not formal, we are telling guests to be comfortable, the bridesmaids are told the color and are picking their own dresses, and the groomsmen will be the same, they will likely need to rent suits, and my friends (and myself) are broke! So I'm just gonna tell em what colors to look for, and they can pick the rest.

Thanks!
-Scott

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ag - how blue is the tuxedo in real life? It looks very blue (not midnight blue) in the pictures, but I know a camera flash can cause this.

thomasB

Reaction score
Maybe 'classic' wasn't a great choice of word. And I love the AE strands. And, yes, they are certainly a balmoral but I just thought the heavy brague is not as elegant as a basic cap toe. Just my 2 cents...

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Scott -
I wouldn't worry about matching the wedding colors. Especially not with the socks. Matching red socks to red tie to red bridesmaids is way too precious. Wear navy socks. Some brides today have a fixation with matching, and your fiancee' may demand that. But at least consider a different tie...say, in a dark purple PoW check or shepard's check.

How much time do you have scheduled between suit delivery and wedding? You'll want plenty of time, as MTM suits don't always work out perfectly, and you may need to enact some kind of backup plan. Or at the very least, get the suit altered after you receive it.

For the groomsmen, it's common to buy ties for your groomsmen. That saves you from their worst decisions and eases the budget constraint for them a bit.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the blue as well. That looks quite blue.

scbrooks87

Reaction score
Scott -
I wouldn't worry about matching the wedding colors. Especially not with the socks. Matching red socks to red tie to red bridesmaids is way too precious. Wear navy socks. Some brides today have a fixation with matching, and your fiancee' may demand that. But at least consider a different tie...say, in a dark purple PoW check or shepard's check.

How much time do you have scheduled between suit delivery and wedding? You'll want plenty of time, as MTM suits don't always work out perfectly, and you may need to enact some kind of backup plan. Or at the very least, get the suit altered after you receive it.

For the groomsmen, it's common to buy ties for your groomsmen. That saves you from their worst decisions and eases the budget constraint for them a bit.
Thanks for the input! I can probably get away with not matching socks, but I think the lady will want red on the tie. She may surprise me though, so far she's basically said she doesn't much care what I wear, within reason. I kinda like funky socks, in the sort of way that I like a flashy lining on a jacket. Kinda like business on the outside, party on the inside sort of thing.

The suit is being done by a company called Requisite Custom Clothing. They will be measuring me and taking posture notes on August 10th, and the wedding is November 10th. I guess the suits are made in Las Vegas. They say it's plenty of time to make the suit, and then after a fitting make any alterations if necessary. It's not MTM, and it's not fully bespoke either. From speaking to them, they meet with me at my home or office, they take the measurements, they take note of posture, they get all that info and send it to their... factory? From there they design the pattern using a CAD program based on exactly what I want. The parts are cut out, and they have skilled laborers do the simple stitching, and 20+ year master tailors do the difficult handwork.

That's what they explained to me anyway...

I think that buying ties for the groomsmen is a great idea! Should I get each of them a different tie? Or should I have them all in the same one? I'm fairly new to style do's and dont's.

Thanks again!
-Scott

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads