• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the formality level of the wedding. Neither of the shoes listed are a bad choice, though they are definitely on the more informal side of the spectrum. Black shoes would, obviously, be more formal. Only you can answer that, though.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fit aside, there is some funky stuff going on with the sleeve length of your jacket vis-a-vis the shirt.

At that price for shoes, I would start looking into Carmina. I do not think there is any problem with you wearing walnut shoes with a light grey suit if that is your thing. It just depends on the formality of the wedding.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Do you think black shoes work with a suit that light? I'm not sure they do, which is why I think he is fine with the brown. To go more formal, I think he would need an entirely different suit.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, they wouldn't be my first choice. Dark brown would be my first choice.

The problem with the Strands is that they are a very bright shade of brown until they get some patina on them. Still not a bad choice though.

Budget

Reaction score
Well considering the colour of the suit (far from formal) the wedding isn't super formal. It's a summer wedding at a golf course, keeping it light and fun...I am definitely not into the whole super formal look.

As far as the fit of the sleeve, please elaborate. I can post more pics if necessary later today.

The pants will be hemmed. Both suit and shirt were done by maxwells, maybe they gave it a bit more slack even though I said to keep everything tight?

Budget

Reaction score
I am also pretty set on a richer/more colorful brown opposed to dark brown.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... What's the question then? Sounds like you're pretty set on what you want for the shoes. Neither are distasteful, so pick which one you like. I do agree that for the price of the second shoe, you should be looking at other brands, though--Crockett & Jones, Carmina, Alden, etc.

FWIW, I do much prefer the color of the second shoe to the first.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you think black shoes work with a suit that light? I'm not sure they do, which is why I think he is fine with the brown. To go more formal, I think he would need an entirely different suit.

One still wears black shoes with a light grey morning suit. Also, I can't find a picture but I'm pretty sure Cary Grant is wearing black shoes with his light grey suit to Foussard's funeral in To Catch a Thief and looks great. I do agree that a truly formal occasion calls for a different suit, though.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are set on the suit, and set on the shoe color, just don't automatically jump on the AE bandwagon. At the price you are willing to pay, there are far better options, as suggested. I also would limit the broguing. And can we see a picture of the suit front on? Hard to give fit recs based on what we are seeing.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
You need some picks with your arms hanging naturally at your sides from both the front and side view. Its tough to say with your arms bent, but the sleeves look too tight.

Budget

Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am partial to Carmina, personally, at that price range. If you contact the guys over at the Armoury, they will help you with sizing. Knowing your size in AE should be sufficient.

Some examples:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree on anything mail-order. You generally have to be pretty knowledgeable about how a shoe should fit and know your size in various brands/lasts to get good sizing recommendations. I doubt the OP knows his AE/Alden/C&J size.

Budget

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer

I am partial to Carmina, personally, at that price range. If you contact the guys over at the Armoury, they will help you with sizing. Knowing your size in AE should be sufficient.

Some examples:

This shoe is gorgeous. In all honesty I don't want to spend more than $300 unless I have to. Are there any options in the $300 range for a similar shoe like this that is of decent quality. If the answer is no, then Id' rather just pay up to have a quality product than throw $300 away. I am trying to explore all of my options.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally I don't think shoes in that kind of tan go well with a grey suit. They can look good with brown suits in various shades, but not grey. The shoes in the picture you have stuck in your head are darker than that, and with more red in them. You could get the tan Carminas to that shade with some polish but it would take a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads