• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcb9

Reaction score
Going to a wedding in April here in SE USA. My wife is a bridesmaid and the dress is a light taupe color. I don't really care about matching her but I don't want to clash. I was thinking, given the time of year, of wearing a khaki-colored suit - either chino or gabardine. Light colored bow-tie, either blue or green with a white shirt and a pocket silk with some of those colors in there. Thinking brown suede wingtips for the shoes.

Seeking advice. Thoughts?

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd prefer gabardine, but either would be fine. With a bow tie, you may want to consider a 3-button jacket. The rest sounds just fine.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Going to a wedding in April here in SE USA.  My wife is a bridesmaid and the dress is a light taupe color.  I don't really care about matching her but I don't want to clash.  I was thinking, given the time of year, of wearing a khaki-colored suit - either chino or gabardine.  Light colored bow-tie, either blue or green with a white shirt and a pocket silk with some of those colors in there.  Thinking brown suede wingtips for the shoes.

Seeking advice.  Thoughts?

Is this a daytime wedding?

jcb9

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.  Appreciate it.

Edit: would navy or charcoal be more appropriate? I do not have a black suit.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy or charcoal would be fine if it's an evening wedding.

100 yrs

Reaction score
as I mentioned a page back, i'll be getting married this fall, in the evening. i'll be wearing a charcoal suit most likely with houndstooth or glen plaid tie. whenever i mention the suit choice to people, they wonder - it's in the evening, why not a black suit? my reply is usually "it's not a funeral." is there a more, um, eloquent answer to that?

and also, does anyone have a saved copy or know where i can find the oft cited Manton speech about wedding attire?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, because black suits are for nighttime. That's why tuxedos / dinner jackets are called "evening attire" and are normally black (or a color so dark that it appears black).

as I mentioned a page back, i'll be getting married this fall, in the evening. i'll be wearing a charcoal suit most likely with houndstooth or glen plaid tie. whenever i mention the suit choice to people, they wonder - it's in the evening, why not a black suit? my reply is usually "it's not a funeral." is there a more, um, eloquent answer to that?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To me the silk facings give the tuxedo a richness that the black suit on its own doesn't have. Without the facings, a little bit of color helps to enliven the suit. Navy and charcoal are also more forgiving for a wider variety of complexions. Then there's the funereal connotation of the black suit. But I wouldn't say a black suit is terrible, just obviously not as nice as a tuxedo while kind of trying to be like one.

trsmith

Reaction score
I'm getting married in October, and I'm looking for some guidance for my attire. I'm open to a suit or tux, but probably leaning toward tux.

My main goal is to have something that works with my fiancee's dress, which is this: http://www.dangdangdress.com/images...illier-bliss-2013-bl1317-3b866e22-700x940.jpg. Beyond that, my style is slightly hipster/vintage. I'm white, on the skinny side, 5'9, and I think I look pretty good in blue.

Our wedding is going to have a fall theme with a little vintage. It'll be outdoors in Pennsylvania, with a reception in a lodge type of place.

Any suggestions or ideas, be they general or specific?

Thanks.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that dress. Make sure you give her a nice bouquet to go with it. The bouquet should have seasonal flowers (there' your fall theme) and you should have one matching flower through your buttonhole (not pinned onto your lapel).

If you go for a retro theme, and the ceremony starts early, go for the stroller, all-out, and accessorize with an odd waistcoat and perhaps even a bow tie. Otherwise, dinner suit, but make sure that you have all the details right. See Black TIe Guide for example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads