• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skaurus

Reaction score
Hi,

looks like I am got to the right place :)
I have read corresponding SF101 (and quite a bit of another sources), so to the matter...

I have a wedding in late December and want to be nicely dressed (no surprise here
smile.gif
). Nothing very formal (really), just classic, elegant and stylish.
Currently I own just a very basic suit and I think it's better to forget about it :)

I plan to spend up to about $1500 for 2 or 3-piece suit, shoes and accessories. Ok, say $2000 is hard upper limit.

It's important that I don't want it to be one-time suit. I have to wear suit just about once a year so I hope it's possible to entirely replace my old lousy suit with new one on these occasions (they are not so formal anyway).

This whole theme is very new for me and so far I come up with something like that:
  • waisted suit of tan color. Really don't want to go with more classical colors - the single thing that stopping me from considering something even more informal is my intention to use it elsewhere.
  • bow tie (I think they looks really pretty on me + it's very elegant didn't?)
  • as a not strict rule - suit either could have two buttons either it could have three (upper one not fastened) with lower notch + waistcoat
  • some pocket square (say white linen for now as a safe choice)
  • I would rather prefer pants with side tabs :)
  • can't decide between no pleats and one at the front, possibly latter
  • spread collar shirt with french cuffs
  • wingtip? captoe? even brogues? shoes
  • a hat? I had compliments about my two fedoras.

Right now I have no idea about colors of shirt, bow tie and shoes.
Also any thoughts about my current planning is of course welcome.

And one more important thing. I live in Moscow and it's an overly expensive city; also I thinking about MTM route and I just don't trust Moscow MTM manufacturers. I think I will be better off visiting a Milano for a couple of days (actually I have a convenient opportunity to visit any Europe country in September).

Do you think it's rational? Is MTM wise for me or not (anyway before visit to Milano I plan to test some RTW suites here in Moscow)? Could anyone recommend MTM stores in Milano that will be within my finances?

Last edited:

skaurus

Reaction score
Tan? In Moscow in winter?

Why not? Anyway you have to have a winter clothing like coat when going outdoor. Sincerely can't understand what is the difference between time of a year when you are indoor
shog[1].gif

Also I'm going to use it at any time I need it during a year.

Am I saying something disastrous?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not? Anyway you have to have a winter clothing like coat when going outdoor. Sincerely can't understand what is the difference between time of a year when you are indoor
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Also I'm going to use it at any time I need it during a year.

Am I saying something disastrous?

A tan suit, aside from being very casual for a suit, is generally for summer. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how hot or cold it may be indoors. There are just some colors and fabrics/textures that are associated with summer and some with winter. It has a lot to do with mood/feeling.

skaurus

Reaction score
A tan suit, aside from being very casual for a suit, is generally for summer. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how hot or cold it may be indoors. There are just some colors and fabrics/textures that are associated with summer and some with winter. It has a lot to do with mood/feeling.

Well, I just not sure if it is wise to own two suits (for example) given that I wear them on very rare occasions.
Also light colors seems more festive for me.

Anyway, I will be glad to hear your suggestions!

Banebt

Reaction score
Can you put black 2 button suit with double breasted waistcoats and tie tack/pin for formal night occasion
And what color of the waistcoats should be

Cheers

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a slightly lighter shade of navy, with a buff waistcoat and a sky blue tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads