• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly.

A full windsor is an abomination.

FIH, Double FIH, or half-windsor, if you must. Tie your knot a little looser if you want a bigger FIH knot, get thicker ties, etc.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fwiw, the duke himself never tied a Windsor knot. The knot was invented in order imitate the thick knots that he could create because his ties were made of heavy silks with thick wool interlinings. If you like thicker knots, get thicker ties. Then tie them FiH.
And run his tie short so to use the thicker part to make a bigger knot.
A small, well executed Windsor knot works well in certain situation, let's not start another groupthink myth..

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And run his tie short so to use the thicker part to make a bigger knot.
A small, well executed Windsor knot works well in certain situation, let's not start another groupthink myth..

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No,
Are you saying that's a Windsor knot? Looks like a FiH to me.
no was making two separate statements, one about DOW short front tie/bigger knot the second on a Well executed Windsor knot having is place. Also a Windsor knot not made too tight, could look like the one in the picture, but cannot call it from this picture, but have seen pictures of DoW wearing full windsor

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really? Would be interested to see if you could link. I've seen some that are kind of ambiguous like this one:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-articles/duchess-of-windsor-1966-interview-1010

But combined with quotes like this:

"Despite the knot's name, it was not, as is commonly held, invented by the Duke of Windsor. In his memoirs A Family Album, the Duke explains that it was his specially made thick ties, rather than a complicated knot, that produced the effect:

'The so-called ''Windsor knot'' in the tie was adopted in America at a later date. It was I believe regulation wear for G.I.s during the war, when American college boys adopted it too. But in fact I was in no way responsible for this. The knot to which Americans gave my name was a double knot in a narrow tie - a ''slim Jim'' as it is sometimes called. It is true that I myself have always preferred a large knot, as looking better than a small one, so during the nineteen twenties I devised, in conclave with Mr Sandford, a tie always of the broad variety which was reinforced by an extra thickness of material to produce this effect. As far as I know this particular fashion has never been followed in America or elsewhere.' "

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~tmf20/tieknots.shtml

I assumed he did not use the Windsor knot.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't use Merril Hoge as the reason why you say a windsor is an "abomination." He an extreme example of someone who intentionally goes for the biggest most obnoxious knot possible. It's something he has made his trademark. Almost all sportscasters for football and basketball dress loudly and ridiculously.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Which picture are you referring to? On the one you posted, I can only see one side of the knot, so I can't really tell if it's symmetric or not. In any case, even if you have found one picture of the Duke wearing his eponymous knot, it seems clear that at least most, if not all, of the time, he wore a FiH, and disowned the "Windsor" knot in his own writing. Of course it's still possible to believe these things and still admire what has come to be known as a Windsor knot.

Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of the ticker knots in his pictures with clear symmetrical sides are Windsor's. I posted the one that to me is ver clear, even from that angle, as it has a closer triangular knot. I often use windsor and half windsor as I learned them from my older brother as a 10 yo when he was 20 and in the Italian Navy Academy, where it was compulsory, however I often leave it looser and It looks exactly like those bigger knot mentioned above. There are also big FiH pictures of the duke, and some clear half windsor .

The point is that when done properly is a perfectly acceptable knot, especially in Europe, where 4 I h are kids uniform knots....

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The knot is certainly "acceptable". As to whether the Duke ever wore one, it doesn't seem clear to me at all from the one pic you posted. At his wedding he seems pretty clearly to be wearing a FiH knot. If the Duke's claim of having thicker ties is true, and I see no reason to doubt it, then a Windsor knot, especially a full one, would have been truly massive and unmistakeable. Based on everything I have read and seen, I still feel confident in my claim that he never wore a Windsor knot.

candyspan

Reaction score
Just when I thought I knew exactly what I was going to wear with my light navy blue Dormeuil suit, my bride had problems with a custom gown she was having made. Subsequently she had to change her dress, and now I'm sort of "up in the air" with what I should wear for my shirt and tie combo. Now her dress will be ivory, so I will be getting a cream shirt made, but I don't know what color tie would look best. I initially was going to go with a trad wedding tie (houndstooth, shepherds check, etc.) now, however, I'm thinking I need something different than a black and white tie.

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always like solid silver or gray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads