Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

So, is the knot you have in the pic only a Half-Windsor? It looks very good...you can try a Full...but the Half looks like it is spot-on.

My God..where are you that you can't find a shirt with French cuffs? You can get that at Macy's or Kohls!

2. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

It was actually my first attempt at a four in a hand knot [​IMG] I'll give both a proper half and full windsor a try when I get home (those two I know how to tie haha).

I'm in Montreal but the main problem is the combination of slim fit and long arms. If I settled for regular fit it would have been a bit easier to find, but even with darts regular fit would have to be chopped on the sides by a tailor to somewhat fit my body shape.

That said, Montreal is one of the least fashion friendly cities for above average height or above average taste/standards. Which I have both :p.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Please stick to four in hand. If you must, a half Windsor. Full Windsor is just a terrible, terrible, awful knot.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This.

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Whaddya mean "but"? Patina IS character. :D

Good god, you can have custom shirts made for half that! Most of your money just went to the label.

+1!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Ha yeah my writing from my phone is terrible. I meant they got a little scuffed up, but that is just patina and character :)

7. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I suspect you have your names confused...there is no way the knot in that pic is a four-in-hand.

8. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Yup, I know that but it fit without any alterations and in the time constraint (needed for tomorrow) it saved my butt. I'm still searching for a local tailor that can do shirts in the 100$ range though.

So far the cheapest and quality custom shirts are 300$ a piece (if I order three). I may go for it when I'm in Tokyo again next year.
    I really wish I did. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I screwed up following this video

Maybe it was my teenage muscle memory coming back wanting to do a full windsor? lol
    It seems like everyone is on board with this so will do!

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Full Windsor is not inherently terrible...it just has to be in proportion with the collar and the wearer's face/ neck/ head...and not tied with too thick/ wide of a knot-but there are a lot of guys who do not make a good choice and going around looking like a particularly stinky douchebag. For my money, a Half Winsdor is a great knot...especially with a spread collar on a formal occasion.

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Agreed! I don't know where all this windsor hate is coming from! It depends on the collar, the jacket, and many other factors what knot is appropriate. Are these folks honestly suggesting that a four in hand knot could look good with a full spread collar? I'm wearing a spread collar and full windsor at my wedding; a four in hand never even crossed my mind, especially as I'm wearing a morning coat. In general, depending on the dimensions of the tie, I tie either a Prince Albert, or a half windsor. I tie a full windsor in certain ties for more formal occasions.

I think the half windsor in the pic above is spot on. A four-in-hand with that collar will probably make the whole neck area look far too empty.

11. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Most full Windsors are giant, hideous knots. A big part of the appeal of a FIH is that bit of asymmetry. Granted it might not work on a cutaway collar, but aside from that, it works with just about everything. I never tie anything else.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

12. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I have seen a lot of men in formal and business occasions wear a spread collar with a tiny knot...it never looks good.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I don't know what kind of ties you guys have that are tying tiny knots with a FIH. I never have any problems with it. It's usually the perfect size. If it's too small, tie a double FIH. Or buy a tie wider than 2".

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Well, that one is clearly too big. I think the guy wearing it is on the shorter side. There is no single knot that is going to work with every guy, every collar and every situation. Same with lapels.

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Fwiw, the duke himself never tied a Windsor knot. The knot was invented in order imitate the thick knots that he could create because his ties were made of heavy silks with thick wool interlinings. If you like thicker knots, get thicker ties. Then tie them FiH.