1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Prepare thyself for the anti-Windsor lobby. Yes, the wing collar is the one worn sometimes with tuxedos and always with tails.

2. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

In my view, Windsor knots are justifiable in the following situations:

1:

3. JimC

JimC Member

Haha! Thanks for the heads-up.

4. JimC

JimC Member

So, Roger, a good alternative would be...?
    For many years I've had no cause to wear a tie let alone formal attire that wasn't issued to me by others. The Windsor was my go to knot as it was the only one that suited.
    I'm honestly quite happy to be led on this. Particularly noting the fact that tie I'll be wearing will no doubt be a little more substantial than I'm used to. My hands might struggle tying something different, but I'm sure I can handle it.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:fonz:

Jim, the four in hand or double four in hand gets the most love around here. The problem with a Windsor is that it ties a huge knot, which looks silly on, well, everyone.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Going to a wedding in April here in SE USA. My wife is a bridesmaid and the dress is a light taupe color. I don't really care about matching her but I don't want to clash. I was thinking, given the time of year, of wearing a khaki-colored suit - either chino or gabardine. Light colored bow-tie, either blue or green with a white shirt and a pocket silk with some of those colors in there. Thinking brown suede wingtips for the shoes.

Seeking advice. Thoughts?

7. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Personally, I'd prefer gabardine, but either would be fine. With a bow tie, you may want to consider a 3-button jacket. The rest sounds just fine.

8. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Is something like this too informal for a groom?

9. unbelragazzo

Is this a daytime wedding?

1 person likes this.
  10. unbelragazzo

It would have to be a very intimate wedding IMHO.

11. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

+1.

12. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Will have to check. If in the evening would attire fallback to dark suit?

13. unbelragazzo

For me, yes.

14. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Thanks for the help guys.  Appreciate it.

Edit: would navy or charcoal be more appropriate? I do not have a black suit.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Navy or charcoal would be fine if it's an evening wedding.

16. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

as I mentioned a page back, i'll be getting married this fall, in the evening. i'll be wearing a charcoal suit most likely with houndstooth or glen plaid tie. whenever i mention the suit choice to people, they wonder - it's in the evening, why not a black suit? my reply is usually "it's not a funeral." is there a more, um, eloquent answer to that?

and also, does anyone have a saved copy or know where i can find the oft cited Manton speech about wedding attire?

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

No, because black suits are for nighttime. That's why tuxedos / dinner jackets are called "evening attire" and are normally black (or a color so dark that it appears black).

18. unbelragazzo

To me the silk facings give the tuxedo a richness that the black suit on its own doesn't have. Without the facings, a little bit of color helps to enliven the suit. Navy and charcoal are also more forgiving for a wider variety of complexions. Then there's the funereal connotation of the black suit. But I wouldn't say a black suit is terrible, just obviously not as nice as a tuxedo while kind of trying to be like one.

19. trsmith

trsmith New Member

I'm getting married in October, and I'm looking for some guidance for my attire. I'm open to a suit or tux, but probably leaning toward tux.

My main goal is to have something that works with my fiancee's dress, which is this: http://www.dangdangdress.com/images...illier-bliss-2013-bl1317-3b866e22-700x940.jpg. Beyond that, my style is slightly hipster/vintage. I'm white, on the skinny side, 5'9, and I think I look pretty good in blue.

Our wedding is going to have a fall theme with a little vintage. It'll be outdoors in Pennsylvania, with a reception in a lodge type of place.

Any suggestions or ideas, be they general or specific?

Thanks.

20. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I like that dress. Make sure you give her a nice bouquet to go with it. The bouquet should have seasonal flowers (there' your fall theme) and you should have one matching flower through your buttonhole (not pinned onto your lapel).

If you go for a retro theme, and the ceremony starts early, go for the stroller, all-out, and accessorize with an odd waistcoat and perhaps even a bow tie. Otherwise, dinner suit, but make sure that you have all the details right. See Black TIe Guide for example.