Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:The safest bet is just don't wear a striped tie with it, but if you must, it should have a considerably different scale in terms of the width of the stripes.

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

A solid silver tie, white French cuff shirt and a white pocket square might be a good choice.

3. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Thank you both for your help! I'll see what I can find tonight ;) once I get my outfit together I'll be sure to post a pic

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I would just go with a POW check tie. Or just a standard wedding tie of any kind. I would suggest that since you have gone this far though, I would resist cheaping out on the tie :).

5. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm really running dry on funds :(. I just picked up a Boss shirt for 220$. It fit like a glove right off the rack :)

I started digging through some ties that I inherited from my grandfather, purchased before his death several years ago. I was kind of shocked Dunhill etc. still with the tags. They are a bit fat for this occaision but gold mine!

Even more amazing, a belt that I just cut 3 inches off without thinking... I wore it once to a job interview but its Ferregamo!?!?!?! It's got a gold buckle which isn't optimal for this occasion but it's better quality than any belt I can afford so I guess I should wear that?

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

What kind of price range are you looking for with the tie? Also, when are you getting married?

7. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

I'm actually only a guest at the wedding, though I would like to make an impression and the dress code is set. (I plan on frequenting some nicer events from here on out to take advantage of my new/altered gear)

I'm looking in the sub 50$ range, the best bet at the moment is The Bay as they have a 40% off sale.

EDIT: I need to pick up the tie tomorrow

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Ahhh I see. Yeah, might as well just spring for something easy then! I would not worry all too much about it. I would stick to something dark preferably, as suggested before!

9. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Hehe, if I were getting married I'd be springing far more for a suit ;).

Alright, here's a quick pic. It's not the greatest in terms of representing color *suit is navy with light blue and dark blue pinstripes.

I found a slightly dotted lightblue/steel color slim tie in my closet. The pocket square is light blue and I think it will definitely have to change but quick thoughts?

[​IMG]

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Looks really good man. I think the tie definitely works, although I would slip in a white square! I hope for your sake that your Park Aves turn out better than my Fifth Aves after the last wedding I went to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

I see why white really works better! Thanks! Should I aim for Linen, Cotton or Silk? (the tie is a bit shiny)

Ouch! Those look like they've been daily worn! :O I hope mine do survive after seeing those

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

They looked just about new before that night. Whole lot of dancing. Worth it in the long run though! Just go to the store, and get a white linen square. Should be dirt cheap. No need to spend a bunch of money on them!

FWIW, with a little bit of elbow grease, they cleaned up perfectly. A little bit of patina, but a whole lot of character.

Once again, I would strongly emphasize linen. The matte texture of the linen will help to mitigate the shininess of the tie.

13. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

I plan on a whole lot of dancing and getting pretty sloshed, so mine should look similar in black then ;). I guess I should prepare to start looking at the shoe care thread haha

I will definitely go for the linen then! Thanks! I found a store that sells linen in white for 15$

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I was worried that pinstripes would be too "business" for a wedding, but from the picture I can't even detect them. A white PS will definitely make a difference and work with everything else to give you a clean, slick look. And the spread collar and Full Windsor helps add a degree of formality...though I would add French cuffs.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

15. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Thanks for the tips. The pinstripes are turning out to be fairly hidden and since it's an evening affair in a theater I think the suit will appear like in the image.

I'll give the full windsor a shot tonight :). Unfortunately I couldn't find any shirts with cuffs locally without a special order or bespoke. I'm a 36/37 arm and enjoy slim fit. Only Boss had a shirt that actually fit so I took it. Height can be great but at times, especially with fashion, it can bite you in the rear.