• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bhoves

Reaction score
I have a few questions if you would be so kind. My wedding is a while away, October next year to be exact, but in the excitement I have started to plan what I want to wear; right now I'm thinking of a grey 3-piece suit (not sure how dark yet, but definitely nothing too light) which will be MTM closer to the date. The groomsmen will be in whatever gray suit they can come up with. I know at least one doesn’t have a suit, another that possibly won’t and the father of the bride definitely doesn’t, but bless him, he wants to suit up for the wedding. If need be should they rent one, or should I ask for them to buy one?

I was thinking that we could all have a glen check tie (either kent wang or a drakes) or would this be too matchy?

The bride at this moment likes a soft lavender dress for her bridesmaids, if she does have this dress I was thinking a few lavender flowers (through our button holes) for our boutonniere. Do you guys think this is too much? The other option that I like is a red carnation for each of us.

Lastly, I was hoping to have a white pocket square for each of us, will this be too busy with the boutonnieres as well? I’m hoping for simple, but with a bit of elegance.

Any thoughts and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that sounds great actually. And I don't think that the lavender is too much. Maybe you could be the only one with the lavender though? That will kind of set you apart.

Also, in my opinion, I would do different ties, but keep them all wedding ties. Or, at the very least, I think maybe you should have a different tie from the rest. All in all, it sounds like you are going down the right path.

Where are you thinking about getting your suit done? Also, I would urge you to get it earlier rather than later, just so that you have more time to fine tune it.

bhoves

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy response.

On the ties, my original thought was to for me to have the purple glen check from drakes, then the others with either the kent wang or the dark navy drakes glen check.

For the suit, I've heard good things about a traveling tailor from Hong Kong who comes to Australia every six months or so. I just missed him about 3 weeks ago as I was in Europe at the time. I was planning to go to him, but, am open to suggestions.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about Patrick Johnson? Or is that a bit out of the price range? Just remember, that while MTM can often look great, it can often be shite. Just a warning for one who NEEDS this suit to look great!

bhoves

Reaction score
I have looked at Patrick Johnson previously, however, they were only in Sydney and Melbourne I think. The main tailor I was considering was Wil Valor as he is closer to me (Brisbane) and I've heard good things about them.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I say go for it! I just said PJ because he is very highly regarded 'round these parts. I wish you the best of luck, keep us abreast!

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be a guest at a wedding on Labor Day weekend. It's on Sunday at 6pm. I am 98% sure it will not be formal, although the setting is a fancy hotel. I know I will be wearing a white shirt and black shoes. I have a couple ties in mind. I guess I should go with a charcoal or light grey suit? Maybe I answered my own concerns?

How informal do you think it will be? I would go with charcoal, as it's safer, as darker suits are more formal, and more appropriate for the evening, but if the event is informal, it also won't look out of place. If you know, for certain, that it will be very informal, you can wear whichever colour you feel like. If you're buying the suit for the occasion, charcoal will be more versatile, and is therefore a better investment.

pinkformen

Reaction score
Hey everyone (again).

I just picked up my suit from the tailor and I must say, I look rather amazing (It fits better than my bespoke suit does). I had 200$ worth of alterations due to body shape changes (for the better).

I also picked up a pair of Park Avenues in black, it was pricey but the shoes are simply stunning and the value for that price. They were outshining the Pradas and Ferragamos in quality and style(IMO).

I am still on the hunt for a dress shirt/tie and I am having a lot of trouble with this. I was hoping to get some help.

Suit: Navy with 1/2 inch pinstripes (vertical)

Shoes: AE Park Avenue's

I was suggested to go with white and I was thinking about grabbing a "Tailored fit" shirt, in between slim and regular with longer sleeves. It would be plain white, no pattern etc. I've tried it on and requires no tailoring (150$ + tax).

I was also suggested to go with a grey tie but I've been going insane trying to find a tie that would match the shirt and the suit. Any suggestions on a pattern would be really helpful. I'll probably choose a cheapy from The Bay (http://www.thebay.com/eng/mens-dressshirtsties-ties-thebay)

EDIT: Lastly, the pocket square? match the tie?

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey suit and white shirt is a perfectly neutral backdrop for you tie, so it can be any colour you like. For evening though, I'd wear a dark tie (black, navy) with pin dots.

pinkformen

Reaction score

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark blue or dark grey, no difference here. I'd still go with a dark tie, but if you want silver, that's fine. We don't have to dress the same. :)

pinkformen

Reaction score
Dark blue or dark grey, no difference here. I'd still go with a dark tie, but if you want silver, that's fine. We don't have to dress the same.
smile.gif

Hehe, I do trust your judgement more than mine though :p (I dress streetwear for work). Are there any rules for patterns on ties and a pinstripe suit?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we see the suit? That will help analyze accessories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads