Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Allen Edmonds is the standard $300 answer. Lots of styles. Many are also available as seconds, which brings the price down further.

Also look at Meermin and Loake, though these can take longer to get to you, so unless your wedding is several months out, I'd be hesitant.

2. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Thank you! I've had them send me the shirt's measurements, and I will need the shirt sleeves shortened anyway, and the bodice taken in, so shrinking will not bother me. Which shirt(s) did you buy? I am planning to get the Marcella shirt, with turndown collar. Which bowtie(s) have you bought?

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

That's the same shirt I got. I suggest you wash it before having it tailored.

4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Indeed - always good advice!

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

So, this question is about the shoes. The shirt, tie and waistcoat are not part of the final outfit, just ones I grabbed to get a feel of the whole look. At the wedding, I will be wearing a dove grey waistcoat, double breasted with shawl revers. I will be getting a winchester shirt, most likely MTM; bodice may be green or blue, and I haven't selected a tie.

Those are the pants I will be wearing, but please try to ignore the awful drape, as they are still unhemmed - not having them hemmed until I have made a final choice on shoes.

So, here is what I was thinking with these particular shoes:
    The black vamp and coloured upper recalls the Balmoral boot, which is traditional with morning dress. I realize that the blucher is less traditional/correct than the closed lace Oxford, but I have not found a pair of Oxfords that I like, and are comfortable. They tend to press down on a high bone across the top of my foot, which leads to a lot of discomfort, and sometimes even blisters. So, while I was originally trying to stick with the more traditiona choicesl, I've accepted that bluchers may simply be the correct choice for my feet.

The shoes are by John Fluevog, and were actually a mistaken run of a shoe that is normally all black. I have tried the all black version, but they happen to have one of this style left, and it happens to fit me perfectly. The wedding has a bit of a 1920's theme; I will be in full morning dress, the fathers in strollers, and the best man and ushers in mid-grey suits (I wanted them to spend their money on something they would get more wear out of).

So, do the shoes work? Do they look ridiculous? I am happy to look daring, but only so long as I look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't wear those. They don't recall the bal boot, as they have blucher style lacing. The two colors of the bal boot are also contiguous. Here the black is divided up by the tan. It feels more like spectators or saddle shoes, which are much more casual. These are just distracting from everything else you're wearing.

7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Yes, the two areas of black were my main worry. When he described them, I thought the lacing pieces (don't know what they're called) would also be tan, but of course saw they weren't once he opened the box. But, I figured no harm in trying them out, so I went back to the car for the full ensemble.

I don't have a photo, but what do you think of the same shoe with an all black upper?

And, as an aside, what do you think of the choice of the checked pants? I don't know how well it comes through in the photo, but they are black on grey.

8. unbelragazzo

On the shoes, I'd look for something with closed (balmoral style) lacing.

On the pants - traditionally the pants worn with morning dress would be either cashmere stripe (has nothing to do with cashmere fabric, dunno where this term comes from) or checked in the style described here:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...ustrated-History-of-Formal-Checkered-Trousers

rather than the glen check pattern you have, which is really more for suits (at least it looks like GC, I can't tell for sure). That said, your trousers are a reasonable modern interpretation and maintain the basic concept of a black and white pattern, and likely no one will know the difference anyway. If you like these, wear them proudly.

9. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I did make a conscious decision to change things up with the pants; they are similar to glen check, but not quite the same - a bit finer and straighter lines, and slightly different spacing. Though, the glen check, and other checks, are a traditional pattern for morning dress (per www.morningdressguide.com). They are just less common than the striped patterns, which also have a wide range, including cashmere stripe, and other black striped patterns. I looked long and hard for something that paid homage to tradition, but was also a bit new, and would be a pair that suits me, and I'd enjoy wearing many times after the wedding.

On closed lacing, I haven't been able to find a pair with this style that meets my three criteria: 1. It's in my budget, 2. It isn't painful to wear, and 3. I like how it looks. I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I'll most likely end up with blucher/derby style lacing, as, these seem not to put pressure on the prominent bone in the same way. No point buying a pair of shoes I'll just avoid wearing, and that will make me uncomfortable all day. Now, if someone can give me a lead on some button boots under $300, I may get excited.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. unbelragazzo

Button boots under $300 are probably impossible unless you get lucky on eBay.

If you're wearing derbies, I'd at least look for some that aren't wingtips.

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I've never been clear on what, specifically, makes something wingtips. Is it to do with construction, or is it the contrasting colours?

And yes, I'm aware the button boots are a pipe dream :p

12. unbelragazzo

It's the design at the toe. Google wingtips for more info. Look instead for plain toes or cap toes.

13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Ah, got it, thanks!

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

While I'm here, and since I have some better pictures now - only had some awful mirror shots before - does anyone have input/advice on alterations to the morning coat? How do the shoulders and waist sit, to your eye?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

PoW for morningwear is classic and acceptable. For shoes: Markowski offers affordable balmoral boots.