1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Thanks for the clarification archibaldleach.

Is there anything lower budget you would recommend? I would love a pair of AE PA and I am started to see why they are the perfect suit shoe, however, I really don't wear a suit very often. I guess the problem is they would only go with a suit and are not as flexible as a more casual shoe such as the fifth avenues. I am still willing to buy them if they are the right shoe to keep in my wardrobe for the coming decade but with taxes they come out to $410.

Is Brooks Brothers like Moores in Canada?

Thanks a lot!

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Check out pediwear.co.uk. Some Loakes or Cheaneys would be a good alternative to AEs.

3. pinkformen

pinkformen Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion! It seems like they run quite a bit higher than the AEs and are not available locally (online). Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a time constraint (1 Week)

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Honestly, in that case, just get a pair of Johnston and Murphy Captoes. They will be a-OK, and some are conservatively styled. I will think more on it.

Something like this:

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?pid=38301

Is it ideal? No. But it will be more than sufficient, and it will last you well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I hope the wife-2-be didn't tell you that!
    :eh:

6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Not with formalwear; with business attire, perhaps.

7. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Hi Pinkformen,

Us Canadians have a bit of a harder time with this stuff because we pay more than they do in the U.S. We can order stuff from the U.S., but then we have to deal with import duties and shipping costs. On the upside, our prices for Samuelsohn-made suits are slightly lower than in the U.S. since they are made in Montreal (but only slightly).

Brooks Brothers is different from Moores; it's a higher-end clothing chain. I believe they only have two Canadian locations thus far (Vancouver and Toronto), but you can order online. However, since most of their stuff is made overseas, you have to pay import duties which can make it prohibitively expensive. Moore's is owned by a company called Men's Wearhouse. They don't get a lot of love on Styleforum, but if your budget just doesn't allow anything else, you can go see what they have that may work. Generally speaking, the quality of their stuff probably won't be as good, but if you find something that fits quite well, it can work. The one truism with clothing is that it's better to have low-quality clothes that fit really well than high-quality clothes that fit poorly.

As far as the PAs, I agree that you may not get a lot of use out of them in the near future. However, if you buy them in a size that fits you very well, they will literally last you for decades of formal-event-use (for weddings, funerals, job interviews, etc). If you are trying to save some money, I would suggest going the seconds route or ordering some from a Styleforum member in the Buy and Sell forums.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Formalwear as well. Don't take my word, take that of Piccadilly grandees.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

In fairness it appears that to the extent cream shirts might be worn on such an occasion, they also must be silk. Some sort of cream colored cotton shirt would not work well as a substitute.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Roger:

Interesting link, I had not seen that post before, and I am a fairly avid follower of Will's blog.

Despite the provenance of the cream silk shirt as formalwear, I feel like it would have to be done right to be effective. A cream or ecru shirt on the cheap would probably not turn out as well as a simple white shirt.

12. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Very debonair and dapper....but the fit tells me it's a rental!

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Just curious, what clues let you to the judgement?

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

In my most humble of opinions, it is definitely NOT a rental.

15. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

The pants.

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

It's definitely not skin-tight-#menswear fit but classic fit pants does not equate rental.

BB RTW morning coat btw, and I am definitely not a small/skinny human being.

17. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Hey-I said you looked very dapper and debonair. The fit opinions are the kind of things only a Style Forum member would detect. I think the cut of the coat and waistcoat make you look very trim and fit. I would have liked the pants a bit less full and without so much break...maybe hemmed another half-inch.

18. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Ok..and frankly, I would have preferred a Half-Windsor knot too...

19. chogall

chogall Senior member

Yup those details are personal choices. Not that the pants don't fit; it fits perfect at waist with proper rise. But it's not for everyone's taste. At least for me if anything trimmer they wouldn't support my upper body girth.