• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typical UK groomsmen some owned some rented.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea for a thread, Unbel. Thanks for taking the lead.

Trick will be in making sure the gazillion wedding threads are all re-routed here...

Last edited:

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
Everyone needs to be donning the same garments, in terms of formality? Some will want to get married in black tie, but most of the guests will not own or be willing to buy such garments and hence there is the horrible solution of renting. Thus requiring lounge suits for the guests would be a greater good.
What do you think of it?

Quote:
Do you mean open like that? And I usually identify a Liverano jacket by the convex shoulder line.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ yep open like that. But I'm interviewing Liverano himself in a couple of hours so I'll have more info soon!

On the other question, I think black tie optional is fine. Wedding party can then wear black tie, guests may or can wear their best dark suit if they don't have evening clothes.

@aravenel - thank you! The key is for all of you to help me in sending people here. Once we gather steam it'll be a top google/sf search hit and we won't have to do as much of that. Also if we keep it going I'll link to it in the SF101 on weddings, which will help

Jester87

Reaction score
I'm getting married this August, and our wedding is going to be small. I know that the idea isn't to have the groomsmen match, but with a total of only three groomsmen I think it could look silly if I don't give them instructions. My thoughts are to instruct them to wear a navy suit. I'm going to go with a three piece navy suit with white linnen pocket square.

Keep in mind that two of the three groomsmen don't even own a suit, and I'm making them buy one.

Thoughts?

Jester87

Reaction score
i think saying 3 pc navy suit with no further instructions is fine. just don't make them all buy the same one in the same fabric. But I also don't see that there's a problem if one of them is charcoal or something.

1 odd color seems weird to me. Also, I'm thinking 3 piece for me, and the rest just lounge suits.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, no way anyone's gonna talk me into wearing a full tuxedo. I don't like them and my fiancee doesn't like them, so why I should I "just get over it" because that's what everyone else wears?

Favourbrook has some suitably baroque items that you might like.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, it seems to me that it might be a good idea to link to some more comprehensive guides on standard practice, before we venture off into "but my bride wants me to wear turquoise driving shoes under my polyester excuse for a tuxedo" territory. Manton's seminal speech to wedding planners seems to have disappeared from the Internet, but Put This On still has a good guide.

Also, just to show I have some skin in this game: this arrived today from Lesser, and will become my wedding stroller, with light blue Winchester shirt, buff DB waistcoat and the Drake's tie in the picture. It will be worn for the noon ceremony and subsequent garden reception, there's an evening black tie optional dance, for which I have a midnight blue dinner suit.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i think saying 3 pc navy suit with no further instructions is fine. just don't make them all buy the same one in the same fabric. But I also don't see that there's a problem if one of them is charcoal or something.

+1. Just saying navy suit, white shirt should be fine. In fact, it's what I did at my wedding. If you want, you could get them nice wedding ties to go with it as a groomsmen gift.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way, it seems to me that it might be a good idea to link to some more comprehensive guides on standard practice, before we venture off into "but my bride wants me to wear turquoise driving shoes under my polyester excuse for a tuxedo" territory. Manton's seminal speech to wedding planners seems to have disappeared from the Internet, but Put This On still has a good guide.

Well that's disappointing, that was a fanstastic guide. There used to be a copy of it stashed at London Lounge or somewhere if I recall. Will have to see if I can find it.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well that's disappointing, that was a fanstastic guide. There used to be a copy of it stashed at London Lounge or somewhere if I recall. Will have to see if I can find it.

It's also removed from LL. I checked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads