• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Such mean boys... :)

@ajtay: by the (largely defunct) standards of Classic Menswear, a mid-grey suit with a prominent blue overcheck would not be considered apt for a wedding ceremony. Obvs. we''ve all seen far more casual stuff worn at weddings, IRL.
But since you're asking on Styleforum, I guess you have some interest in doing things "properly"

If you are able, I think it could make sense to invest in a charcoal grey or navy plain suit which you will then be able to sue on any fairly formal occasion.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attending a semi-formal wedding in upstate New York held quasi-outdoors in a barn…Not quite sure what direction to take with suiting and keeping warm, as I suspect it’ll be in the 50-60s in the evening.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Odd question- I’m in a wheelchair and planning to wear a navy suit for my wedding. As I don’t button my jacket seated all the time, is a waist coat still appropriate?

it’s a glass roof SoCal venue in September at 530, so not really formal but not casual beach either.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd question- I’m in a wheelchair and planning to wear a navy suit for my wedding. As I don’t button my jacket seated all the time, is a waist coat still appropriate?

it’s a glass roof SoCal venue in September at 530, so not really formal but not casual beach either.

I can't quite tell from the question whether you want to wear a waist coat, or wonder whether you must or should do so. If you want to, definitely wear one. If you don't want to, definitely don't.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Just asking if you were sitting down all the time would it look strange to wear one. Most people are standing constantly in a 3 piece. I guess I should try one on.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would look strange to wear one seated. My sense is that 3-piece suits are less common here (US) than England. (That assumption is based almost entirely on the fact that my tailor wears 3-piece suits and he's British.) But when people are wearing 3-piece suits they are just as like to sit as stand. (Again, picture my tailor at your quintessential places to eat in Houston, Texas.)

Baine

Reaction score
Getting married in April in Texas. Outdoor courthouse wedding. Bride wearing white dress, boots, and a hat. More of a western theme to it. I would like yall's eye for style, if possible, that would compliment this look of hers. Avg build white male w/ light brown/blonde hair, mustached, and wear turtle shell glasses.. Was looking at the RRL denim three piece. fwiw would like to be able to wear on other occasions too. Budget 1500. Not opposed to a navy suit but thought i'd check in with this forum for tips first. Thanks

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
I don't think it would look strange to wear one seated. My sense is that 3-piece suits are less common here (US) than England. (That assumption is based almost entirely on the fact that my tailor wears 3-piece suits and he's British.) But when people are wearing 3-piece suits they are just as like to sit as stand. (Again, picture my tailor at your quintessential places to eat in Houston, Texas.)

thanks for the feedback. last question - is french blue a no no for wedding suits? we are a bit more casual in Cali and thought it might work. i've been comparing both navy and french blue Canali RTW suits (discounted of course).

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French blue v. navy depends on the dress code. How do they characterize it on the invitation?

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Haven’t written one yet, but it will be dressy casual - in LA may see a few sports coats. No jeans (which sadly I’ve seen here on rare occasion)

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A French blue certainly is dressy casual. If that's the color that suits you best, then I think it would be totally fine and even nice.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
I think the topic of black tie before evening has been touched on before in the thread but I'd like some fresh opinions. I am getting married in September at a yacht club. The ceremony will start at 5 pm, outdoors on a deck facing the docks. Our photos will be taken just before sunset which will be at about 6:45 as guests are sitting for dinner and reception, indoors in the ballroom. My fiancé and I have been talking as though I'll be wearing a dinner jacket for the wedding but now I am wondering if it'll seem odd to be dressed in black tie for the ceremony and photos while the sun is still out. What's the general consensus on how to navigate this gray area? Is it not a big deal to wear black tie for a day-lit ceremony considering the remaining 4-5 hours of the event will be during the evening?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the topic of black tie before evening has been touched on before in the thread but I'd like some fresh opinions. I am getting married in September at a yacht club. The ceremony will start at 5 pm, outdoors on a deck facing the docks. Our photos will be taken just before sunset which will be at about 6:45 as guests are sitting for dinner and reception, indoors in the ballroom. My fiancé and I have been talking as though I'll be wearing a dinner jacket for the wedding but now I am wondering if it'll seem odd to be dressed in black tie for the ceremony and photos while the sun is still out. What's the general consensus on how to navigate this gray area? Is it not a big deal to wear black tie for a day-lit ceremony considering the remaining 4-5 hours of the event will be during the evening?
Not a big deal. The advice I got was it's your wedding, wear what you want. For us, we did black tie and didn't do an outfit change. Photos mid-afternoon at the club including a bunch outdoors, ceremony late-afternoon off site and back for family photos and cocktail hour over sunset, it was dark by dinner and reception time.

Whan1

Reaction score
Hi all, trying to plan for my wedding in early October in California. Trying to figure out groom and groomsmen attire. The wedding ceremony starts at 5PM at a country club, with the ceremony outdoors but the reception mostly indoors.

I know it's a bit breaking of the rules to wear a Tuxedo before sunset, but I'd really prefer to wear one if possible given the reception will end at 11PM. I wear suits regularly in my profession, so a Tuxedo would help make it feel more of a special occasion for me, even though I realize I probably won't get much additional wear out of it (vs. a suit), living in CA.

I'm currently considering ordering a Navy Mohair MTM shawl collar tuxedo from Spier and Mackay, with otherwise a pretty standard rest of ensemble w/ black satin, covered buttons, etc. and black bow tie, but without a cummerbund/vest.

For my groomsmen, I know none own tuxedos and I don't want to force them to rent/buy something they likely won't use again, so am considering having them wear their own Navy suits, with white shirts, black shoes/belts.

Had a few questions for the folks here:
  • Is Navy for the tuxedo ok over black or midnight blue (not an option at S&M)? Part of it is to have at least some consistency with the groomsmen in color, and otherwise it's to make it slightly more flattering for the 5PM start
  • I currently own black AE Fifth Ave Cap Toes, but they have some broguing on the line of the cap. I don't own any wholecuts or standard black captoes, so it'd be great to use these polished up, but I do realize the broguing somewhat reduces appropriateness for a tux. Wondering if it's a minor enough detail that I can overlook
  • Will it be too much of a mismatch having myself in a Tuxedo and groomsmen in suits? The wedding is "cocktail attire" so I'd likely be the only one in black tie, but again trying to balance practicality for guests/groomsmen and my own desire to own/wear a tuxedo
  • If I do stick with the above plan, I'm going to be buying the groomsmen ties to wear. Trying to decide if I should do traditional grey glen plaid, or something like a Navy tie. Open to other suggestions as well

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Need some help with groomsmen ties. I, the groom, am going to where a shepherd's check. With 4 groomsmen should I just get all glen plaids or houndstooth?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads