1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. n2da2nd

n2da2nd Member

Quick q, what should I wear for the wedding ceremony at the church? I already have the suit for the reception at night, though. Thinking about this assemble for the morning, but with chocolate brown shoes
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

3. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Wear a tie to the Church and then for the evening event, wear a different tie with the suit you already have.

4. n2da2nd

n2da2nd Member

Well, it's gonna be the exact same suit as the pic. So different tie or different tie and shirt as well?

5. urban vulpes

urban vulpes Member

I'm a guest at a Summer wedding, I intend to wear a slimline beige linen suit, with pink and white striped shirt, baby pink tie and pocket square, the buttons holes are cream rosebud, footwear is a concern, tan brogues and tan belt are an option, any other suggestions?

6. urban vulpes

urban vulpes Member

Yeah wear the chocolate shoes especially if its a grey suit, less formal than black business shoes and a bit more "European cool" or classic English style if you like.

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The suit and the shirt are fine for a guest at a daytime wedding, just be sure to wear a tie.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Dont match your tie to your shirt. Dont match your PS to your tie or shirt. The whole matchy thing looks very bad.

WTF is "cream rosebud"?

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Nope nope nope - not gonna happen. My friend's wife-2-be is Ethiopian Orthodox so there is a ceremony at an Orthodox church as well on the same day and both are out in the sticks so changing clothes really is not an option. I was debating wearing a jacket with a nehru collar instead of a tie though, something like what Prime Minister Singh is wearing in this picture

[​IMG]

Or maybe something like this, not in brown though

[​IMG]

10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

That is what I meant. She was talking about wearing red & gold... which is infinitely better than pink (which is her favourite colour) [​IMG]

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

OK... Please don't wear anything remotely like either of those. Nehru collars belong on a Bond villain, that's about it.

That second one... I just don't even know what's the worst part--the collarless shirt, the collared jacket, or the square-toed elf shoes.

You mentioned a navy suit--if the wedding is informal enough that linen would be acceptable, that's your answer right there. Get a nice black/white/cream wedding tie and a white shirt, and you will be in business.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Wear a fresh white shirt if you like.

14. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I think the buttoning point is a bit too high, but more importantly you seem to be wearing a low evening waistcoat and a black on at it. Morning waistcoat should show well above the buttoning point of the morning coat. As it is your wedding, I would suggest you get a buff or silver DB with lapel waistcoat. On the shoes front, I also have similar issues with Oxford/balmoral shoes, and I suggest you go with a wider fit ones such as most of the 1880 range from Loake, but please do go with black shoes. It is your wedding, you are making a good effort at wearing proper morning attire, do not let the shoes ruin it..

15. jamiemcp

jamiemcp Senior member

Quote:Great to see some one actually getting married in the proper attire. I dont understand wearing a Black tie to get married in, but then Im English/ Scottish. As some one esle mentioned the button is to high, and you have the wrong waist coat on, trousers could also do with being taken up. Whats going on with you coller? Shoulders look Ok, not sure about the lapels, they are a bit white tie.

16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

+1

17. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Yes, it is my evening waistcoat - don't have a morning waistcoat yet, and this was better than showing shirt below the button for the picture. I'm planing on quite a high cut, db, dove grey with shawl lapels. The morning coat is from the 30's, which is why it buttons higher. As closely as possible, I'm following the rule of equal amount of visible waistcoat above and below the link.

18. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I also would like input on the tie.

So, you've seen the coat above, and this will, most likely, be the waistcoat:
    [​IMG]

I plan to wear a blue or green bodice Winchester (white collar/cuffs) shirt. I could be talked into a different colour bodice on the shirt. For a tie, I'd like some input on both colour and pattern. I'm thinking of something along these lines:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I would not have green on the shirt. Ideally it would be a baby blue, either solid or stripes. I have seen fine end on end used this past season, it looks good. Darker Blu/navy only in stripes. The 3rd and 5th tie are ok. I personally do not mind solid colour but would not do damask paisly, it looks too rental. There are simpler geometrical damask motif that looks better IMO

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Personally, I would not wear any of those ties, especially with that waistcoat. As for the shirt with contrasting cuffs, if you must do that, stick to a light blue. Personally, with a dove grey vest, I would stick to white.

For ties, I would stick to classic wedding tie colors. If you put together a bunch of colors with that ensemble, you are going to look clownish.

In my opinion--your dove grey DB waistcoat, white shirt (or a light blue shirt with white cuffs), and a silver and dark grey tie.

Even a glen check tie would be most exerent. Something like this would be the best in my opinion:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013