• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

palk

Reaction score
i think im just going to bite the bullet and pay near full price for a purple label anthony tuxedo, there is just nothing else out there, and they seem to not go on sale.
I'm not familiar with your situation, but there are loads of dinner suits being offered at almost every price point. I'd recommend that you look through the vendors listed in the "Classic Menswear" section and if that doesn't suit your fancy, search for "jermyn street shops" or "savile row tailor shops" and have a look at all of those shops' RTW eveningwear / formalwear offerings. Here are just a few that I've found in just a couple minutes:

Sid Mashburn Peak Lapel: $1750
SuitSupply Peak Lapel: $569
Charles Tyrwhitt Shawl Collar Link Closure: $599
New and Lingwood DJ Shawl Collar Link Closure: £695 (trousers available separately)
Gieves and Hawkes DJ Shawl Collar: £650 (trousers available separately)

And if off-the-peg isn't good enough, there are plenty of MTM options as well (e.g., Kent Wang Tuxedo, or A Suit That Fits).

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think im just going to bite the bullet and pay near full price for a purple label anthony tuxedo, there is just nothing else out there, and they seem to not go on sale.

I'm not familiar with your situation, but there are loads of dinner suits being offered at almost every price point.  I'd recommend that you look through the vendors listed in the "Classic Menswear" section and if that doesn't suit your fancy, search for "jermyn street shops" or "savile row tailor shops" and have a look at all of those shops' RTW eveningwear / formalwear offerings.  Here are just a few that I've found in just a couple minutes:

Sid Mashburn Peak Lapel: $1750
SuitSupply Peak Lapel: $569
Charles Tyrwhitt Shawl Collar Link Closure: $599
New and Lingwood DJ Shawl Collar Link Closure: £695  (trousers available separately)
Gieves and Hawkes DJ Shawl Collar: £650   (trousers available separately)

And if off-the-peg isn't good enough, there are plenty of MTM options as well (e.g., Kent Wang Tuxedo, or A Suit That Fits).

I am looking for a black, 1 button peak lapel with non flapped pockets, non vented.
It has to be on the trim side as well.
The MTM option is the last option I want to take as I find them to never fit as well as OTR.
the Sid mashburn has the wrong type of pockets
the lapels on the suit supply just don't look right

the anthony tuxedo by ralph lauren is the only one that hits the details correctly in my mind and is trim...

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am looking for a black, 1 button peak lapel with non flapped pockets, non vented.
The MTM option is the last option I want to take as I find them to never fit as well as OTR.

the anthony tuxedo by ralph lauren is the only one that hits the details correctly in my mind and is trim...

IIRC, the anthony tux is just a re-purposed Anthony suit - your mileage may vary - and at 2500, it's pretty steep. Also, doesn't it have dual vents? Unless you can find one one on eBay for 600, which happens, I'd suggest at least giving one of the suit supply versions a shot if you're able (on their website they have a number of different styles). Their styled photos are almost universally shot with clothes at least 1 size too small, which makes things look strange (and short). But they are certainly "trim."

Two notes: "trim" is pretty relative, and the RL tux is no different. It will still almost certainly still require alterations, since 99% of customers are not going to look like the model. As long as you're not buying from Mens' Wearhouse, you don't really need to specify "trim." And for what it's worth, on the Sid Mashburn tux, you should be able to tuck the pocket flaps.

Of course, if you just love the RL tux and want it, more power to you!

Last edited:

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IIRC, the anthony tux is just a re-purposed Anthony suit - your mileage may vary - and at 2500, it's pretty steep. Also, doesn't it have dual vents? Unless you can find one one on eBay for 600, which happens, I'd suggest at least giving one of the suit supply versions a shot if you're able (on their website they have a number of different styles). Their styled photos are almost universally shot with clothes at least 1 size too small, which makes things look strange (and short). But they are certainly "trim."

Two notes: "trim" is pretty relative, and the RL tux is no different. It will still almost certainly still require alterations, since 99% of customers are not going to look like the model. As long as you're not buying from Mens' Wearhouse, you don't really need to specify "trim." And for what it's worth, on the Sid Mashburn tux, you should be able to tuck the pocket flaps.

Of course, if you just love the RL tux and want it, more power to you!

oh wow, good catch on the vents on the RLPL... the sid mashburn if you can tuck the pockets seems pretty nice, and a good savings of $850 (including tax)... also I like the grosgrain better because i already have a grosgrain bowtie!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barney's is having a 60% off sale.  You might find your Anthony there.

Hmm seems that one didnt get marked down...

Well regarding the Sid Mashburn Tux... their size IT48 comes with a size 30 waist pants... kind of very tight

acconrad

Reaction score
FYI I just purchased a RLBL tuxedo for about $600 and as a tux, it does not have any vents, and is single button, so it is not exactly re-purposed from their suits.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI I just purchased a RLBL tuxedo for about $600 and as a tux, it does not have any vents, and is single button, so it is not exactly re-purposed from their suits.

I did the same on eBay a few months back. There are certainly notch/2 button/vented versions out there, but mine is peak/1 button/no vents.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did the same on eBay a few months back. There are certainly notch/2 button/vented versions out there, but mine is peak/1 button/no vents.

I am a 38s, so eBay is tough. I bought the sid mashburn but going to return it. The fabric is a bit flat...

deadAngle

Reaction score
Quote: I am a 38s, so eBay is tough. I bought the sid mashburn but going to return it. The fabric is a bit flat...

That's a very common size for antique/vintage tuxedos, though - you should be able to find one on eBay in good shape and good quality well within your budget.

Last edited:

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

facet

Reaction score
Benjamin's stuff is really nice. I'm sure you'll be more than fine with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads