• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first post here:

Is it out of the question for the groom use a shirt with studs with a suit? (ie Not a tuxedo) No pleats or anything like that.

Yes. Shirts that are meant to be worn with a tuxedo or white tie can take studs. Other dress shirts should not have studs.

Also, if you're wearing a four-in-hand tie with a suit, you won't see the studs anyway. Are you planning to wear a bow tie?

Last edited:

mhdena

Reaction score

My first post here:

Is it out of the question for the groom use a shirt with studs with a suit? (ie Not a tuxedo) No pleats or anything like that.

Studs are for Black Tie and a Bow Tie.

With a regular suit and regular tie the buttons of the shirt won't be seen anyway.

To recap, yes its out of the question.

Don't do it.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a feeling that would be the answer. Thanks!

Yes, a bow tie will be worn. The question will be whether to go with my navy suit or black tuxedo... Which will largely be decided by the bride. :)

Only a choice if the wedding is after 6:00PM as a tuxedo should not be worn before then (according to rules of style / traditional men's dress, perhaps not so much according to the rules of preserving future marital harmony but at least try to not end up in a tuxedo at noon).

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Setup: in-laws' best friends' daughter is getting married this weekend at a swank-as-hell country club down toward Hilton Head Island -- evening wedding, both ceremony & reception are outdoors. Dress code is specified as suit & tie; wedding party will probably be in tuxedos.

I'll be wearing a charcoal three-piece with a baby blue shirt. I realize it's the fancy South, where things below are generally approved, but I don't want to upstage anybody. Which of the following should I forgo?

• glen plaid bow tie (in favor of a glen plaid or green/blue neck tie)
  • panama hat
  • waistcoat

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forego the hat, even in the South, it's not that common--unless the wedding is during the day and you are bald, in which case, rock out. Bow ties are indeed much more common in the South, but there is a big difference between a wedding held in the South, and a wedding where a large number of the guests are old Southern.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forego the hat, even in the South, it's not that common--unless the wedding is during the day and you are bald, in which case, rock out. Bow ties are indeed much more common in the South, but there is a big difference between a wedding held in the South, and a wedding where a large number of the guests are old Southern.

Cool, hat is out, thanks. Bride and groom went to school and currently live in the South but both grew up far from it.

I'd prefer long tie but up to you. I'd also wear a white shirt.

Still undecided on the tie. I may bring both and give the wife a say. Between the glen plaid tie choices and a white linen pocket square, the blue shirt is to keep the whole thing from getting too monochromatic.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The subtler option is to have a Winchester shirt with a hairline stripe, something like this:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've got black white and gray. That's plenty of contrast. Throwing a color in just cuz looks random and ruins the effect IMHO. Especially if you're going to wear black shoes, as you should. If you wear the blue shirt, then maybe some kind of navy tie and brown shoes.

White shirt, eh... alright, ordered. And yes, black Park Avenues.

The subtler option is to have a Winchester shirt with a hairline stripe...

I'd meant to find something like that to wear to my own wedding, but never came across one in a 15.5/37 extra slim. Damn monkey arms.

Thanks all.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MyTailor and suchlike are your friends.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White shirt showed up quick. Here are my options:

Leaning toward #2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads