• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official Valentines Day thread

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Valentine's is the most stupid of all the manufactured holidays. Marketing has defeated all of you.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will give my wife a card. Going out to dinner on Valentine's night is an absolute nightmare.

When I was a young thing, Valentine's was pretty much a kids' holiday. Like Halloween, it started to become much bigger with adults in the 1970s. I first learned that in 1976, when my then-girlfriend got very snarky because all I had done for V-Day was give her a Snoopy card. That actually precipitated the end of our relationship, which suited me just fine. I had wearied of her anyway! However, I had not realized until then that V-Day had become important to adults.

I must say, the dark side of me always relished in the inherent cruelty of an old-fashioned school Valentine's Day where the popular kids got scads of Valentines, but then there would be the few outcasts who got none! Nowadays, I guess most schools have rules that if you bring any classmate a Valentine, you have to bring one to all of them. I liked the old way better. It gave the kids freedom of choice and taught them more about how the real world works!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Valentine's is the most stupid of all the manufactured holidays. Marketing has defeated all of you.

I think if you only try to be "romantic" on this one day, then the marketing has defeated you. (And you're an ass.) But you can treat it as one more day, just with more of a chance to take advantage of special things that are going on--for instance, our first V-day together we had the opportunity to tango to a live band because it was scheduled as a V-day event.

b

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLib, Snoopy Card=Badass

I ordered some flowers for my woman, last year I had them delivered to her office. Which embarassed her so this year they are going to her house. I think I am getting some new shoes and stuff from her for VDay, its more trad in Japan for the guys to get treated on Valentine's day anyways. She will be in town for White Day in March so Ill take her out to dinner or something then.

madison avenue

Reaction score
I have taken the advice of many members here and for the first time ever I have decided to cook dinner for her in a dim light romantic setting and offcourse an extravagnt gift. Speaking of... Does anyone know any good boutiques that sell Chanel classic handbags the color I want to get her i cant find in any Chanel stores. I am sure I'll be making a separate thread about this by tonight.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just heard that a number of people aim to have divorce papers served upon their spouses on Valentine's Day. Now that's romantic!

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
JLib, Snoopy Card=Badass I ordered some flowers for my woman, last year I had them delivered to her office. Which embarassed her so this year they are going to her house. I think I am getting some new shoes and stuff from her for VDay, its more trad in Japan for the guys to get treated on Valentine's day anyways. She will be in town for White Day in March so Ill take her out to dinner or something then.
Peppermint candy on 3/14? My wife hates Valentines/White Day
lol8[1].gif
Oh yeah, I live near Loveland, CO. Every year a buttload of cards and letters get rerouted through there to get the Loveland post office stamp. Heh, goofy but endearing.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my wife and I, we celebrate both Valentine's Day and the anniversary of becoming a couple (as opposed to being married, which is later). Generally, 95% of all Valentine Day restaurant experiences are horrid. Most restaurants do over-priced, dumbed down menus with very limited options.

To change things a bit, we agree to celebrate the day before or after. Also, I do theme events. For example, this year, we are doing a progressive dinner - each stop has the unifying concept of being a "bar" - but not for drinks (think, e.g., sushi, tapas, oyster). In other years, I had done a scavenger hunt. In prior years, we have had different themes.

As a rule, I plan the day or evening and surprise my wife. My experience is that most women appreciate the effort if one does something that demonstrates a bit of planning and does not seem to just be a pre-set dinner.

Some less predictable romantic spots in and around NYC:

The Cloisters followed by a quiet brunch;
Ice skating outdoors in Brooklyn;
a country inn in Westchester or Putnam counties;

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two stories

1. We actually celebrate the day after V-day, because that's the day we closed on our condo (our first home) and got to spend the night there.

2. Two months or so back my wife mentioned wanting to go to the National Gallery for ice skating. I jokingly suggested it for V-day and she literally scoffed at me and asked "why would we want to do that?" Ummm...okay, this is one of those times when you're going to deny having said something, isn't it? Crap, I can't win some days.

b

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I had 2 intramural basketball games tonight. A coed and a men's 5 on 5 game. We ******* tied the men's game. I was pissed. I made 4 straight points and got a big board down the stretch and with 15 seconds left, i waited and then drove to the basket and passed up an admittingly tough shot to feed my friend for an open bunny and he misses it, gets fouled and misses BOTH free throws! The coed game we had to play 4 on 5 because our other 2 girls couldn't make it because of valentines day. We still won because me and a better friend of mine just D'd up and kept running the break.

Now i'm more than likely in for the night. Maybe put a wolfgang puck pizza in the oven, drink some vitamin water, shower and lay around watching nba basketball. So romantic.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is flying home from San Francisco tonight. In the 7 yrs we've been married I think we have spent one Valentines day together. Inevitably, one of is out of town. I gave her her gift before she left on her trip. Maybe we'll try and cook a nice dinner this weekend.

madison avenue

Reaction score
Well the day is done and I went ahead with dinner all went great I will post the menu up later. She really enjoyed it and was surprised. She took it much better then I expected her to. Now I am debating if I should put up pictures of the food I made or not... What to do what to do.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads