• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

Lucy J

Reaction score
Looks like you're in the market for a fine umbrella indeed. Just to point out one contradiction in your list, however: an umbrella cannot be both full stick and have a leather handle. A leather handle, by definition, will be a fit-up umbrella--separate handle and stick. If you want a leather handle, go with Maglia. If you want a magnificent full-stick with the best canopy, go with Heurtault.
Don’t know Heurtault - I’m assuming they are French?

I have a solid stick Maglia which a client bought for me as a present. It’s a lovely brolly and not normally one I would risk in severe weather here on the coast. However, I was caught in a sudden squall a couple of weeks ago and the wind took complete control of my Maglia and got right under the cover, trying to rip the umbrella inside out. I held on tight and the frame stayed intact even with the wind battering the inside of the brolly - so I was able to get the brolly back facing into the wind and get it down before the wind had another chance to do some damage.

Can also recommend 10-rib longchamp umbrellas (priced around 170 euros I think) I have a couple which are very stylish - cotton fabric rather than nylon - they are also very strong and I’ve had one of them repaired (at very low cost) when it was ripped inside out in what must have been 50mph winds...

Lucy J

Reaction score
Love the beige and ivory ladies 10 rib brolly with the real dome shape, and also the men’s 10 rib Bordeaux colour brolly - but the prices are very high!

My only 10 rib brollies are a James Smith Swiss frame brolly and a couple of Longchamp walking brollies. What do people think of the merits of more than 8 ribs? Does it make a stronger brolly?

logboy

Reaction score
would guess so. quality of the frame helps, and hertault are sometimes (i think) old rather than cheap and new.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ince's full length umbrellas still use Sheffield-made springs, the rest of the hardware is asian as with most others these days. Can't fault the action, nice and smooth and seems strong.

rharlow

Reaction score
would guess so. quality of the frame helps, and hertault are sometimes (i think) old rather than cheap and new.
Yes, Heurtault is expensive, but worth the money. Many of his umbrellas are vintage--painstakingly cleaned, repaired, and restored, using vintage parts when possible. The frames on these ones are magnificent--nobody in the world makes umbrella frames like this anymore. Heurtault's attention to detail is magnificent, and his canopy work is nothing short of astonishing. I had a nice chance to visit his shop last year and chat at length with him about his work. Certainly the undisputed master umbrella maker alive today. Pricey, but worth it.

rharlow

Reaction score
Yes, Heurtault is expensive, but worth the money. Many of his umbrellas are vintage--painstakingly cleaned, repaired, and restored, using vintage parts when possible. The frames on these ones are magnificent--nobody in the world makes umbrella frames like this anymore. Heurtault's attention to detail is magnificent, and his canopy work is nothing short of astonishing. I had a nice chance to visit his shop last year and chat at length with him about his work. Certainly the undisputed master umbrella maker alive today. Pricey, but worth it.
Sorry, that message was for everyone engaged in the recent discussion, not just Logboy (he and I have discussed Heurtault and other makers at length in the past)

Complexo

Reaction score
I just received my Maglia. I fell in love with the green and the contrasting dots of rust as well as the yellowish stick it had. It really feels quite neat to operate it.

However, I have one question. This hole in the wood it has in the handle. I'm worried about moist, water or whatever coming in there and ruining the tree from within.

Is this coursed by bending the wood too fast or is it normal to have those holes and should just be appreciated as a part of the wood's nature?

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpg
    IMG_3642.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3643.JPG
    IMG_3643.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3639.JPG
    IMG_3639.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 111

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my Maglia. I fell in love with the green and the contrasting dots of rust as well as the yellowish stick it had. It really feels quite neat to operate it.

However, I have one question. This hole in the wood it has in the handle. I'm worried about moist, water or whatever coming in there and ruining the tree from within.

Is this coursed by bending the wood too fast or is it normal to have those holes and should just be appreciated as a part of the wood's nature?
I don't think there's any need to worry about the structural integrity, if you're concerned about water ingress you could easily plug it with a bit of sugru/beeswax/wood filler/boogers...

rharlow

Reaction score

Gorgeous umbrella. That little hole is completely natural, shows the beautiful character of the wood. I wouldn't worry about it leading to any problems. Plenty of ways to plug it if you're worried--I concur with ojaw's suggestions.

mactire

Reaction score
dagg i’ve gone off, as the last i saw photos of didn’t look great in quality but was bought in their recent sale for a good discount.

What was the issue with the Dagg?

logboy

Reaction score
What was the issue with the Dagg?

rharlow got one and showed me pictures of it. the shaft / handle joint looked wonky to me.

speculation from my perspective would be that dagg might be a company selling returns or seconds during sale periods, as a way to clear them.

personally, i think there are better options. more than enough to have more umbrellas than genuinely necessary.

i am tempted by a fair few, but at £3-400 a time - especially for english ones - i am not confused and hesitant as a result of not knowing what frames are used, and if they're good enough for the overall price point.

mactire

Reaction score
i am tempted by a fair few, but at £3-400 a time - especially for english ones - i am not confused and hesitant as a result of not knowing what frames are used, and if they're good enough for the overall price point.

Have you used any restoration services as a matter of interest? I'm looking into this as I've found a few old ones at home, could be worthwhile for yourself as there's plenty of english made frames on ebay.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads