• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a certain affinity for umbrellas, and have been collecting them over the past 20 years. I have picked-up 30+ over the years, and thought there must be other on SF who also have a similar interest in the brolly.

I thought I would start be sharing my SAB umbrella collection, 6 in all, and yes I know there are multiples.... but I like the POW and cherry ones.

001.JPG

From L-R Malaca POW, silver tip nylon canopy; Malaca POW,silver tip and silk canopy; Hickory solid stick with nylon canopy; Wanghee with blue nylon canopy; Cherry solid stick with nylon canopy; and Cherry solid stick with silk canopy.

rharlow

Reaction score
A shame this thread hasn't taken off, thanks for getting it started and for sharing your Briggs. Allow me to share my most recent acquisition: Mario Talarico, scorched whangee handle, malacca shaft, dark brown horn ferrule, green canopy with orange specks. I wasn't looking for a green canopy, but I fell in love with the handle, probably the best whangee I've ever seen--twelve joints, evenly spaced, with a rich carmel color of deep complexity. The photos don't do it justice. Mario Talarico made an inspired choice pairing this handle with this canopy pattern, a real masterpiece by one of the great living masters!!
IMG_3534.jpg IMG_3536.jpg IMG_3533.jpg

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@rharlow what a beautiful umbrella. Talarico does some very nice work. I need to post more photos of my umbrellas, but there never seems to enough time.

Hornicorn

Reaction score
Thought I'd help this thread gather some traction too :)

My Talarico, with a whangee handle, birchwood shaft and horn buttons and ferrule. Please post more photos of your collection, @MoosicPa!

IMG_20170826_1834306.jpg

rharlow

Reaction score
This thread is awesome! I'll try to get around to umbrellas later.
Gorgeous umbrella, thanks for sharing it and keeping this thread moving. I love the whangee: great shape and proportion between the joints, and admirable range and depth of color. It's perfectly paired with the blue canopy. The one area where I think Talarico is king (or, the Talaricos, plural, as is the case) is in the preparation, shaping, and treatment of the wood. Not only are they one of the few makers who form their own shafts/handles, but they have an uncanny ability to bring out the most character latent in each piece of wood, and can pair it with just the right canopy and ferrule. Maglia may be the master of the leather handle, and Heurtault may be the king of canopies (from what I've heard, and see in his catalog), but Talarico is the master woodsman, particularly for whangee and full sticks with bark. I hope this thread continues!

Hornicorn

Reaction score
Gorgeous umbrella, thanks for sharing it and keeping this thread moving. I love the whangee: great shape and proportion between the joints, and admirable range and depth of color. It's perfectly paired with the blue canopy. The one area where I think Talarico is king (or, the Talaricos, plural, as is the case) is in the preparation, shaping, and treatment of the wood. Not only are they one of the few makers who form their own shafts/handles, but they have an uncanny ability to bring out the most character latent in each piece of wood, and can pair it with just the right canopy and ferrule. Maglia may be the master of the leather handle, and Heurtault may be the king of canopies (from what I've heard, and see in his catalog), but Talarico is the master woodsman, particularly for whangee and full sticks with bark. I hope this thread continues!

Thanks for the compliment; yours is a real looker too! I merely specified a navy canopy and the Talaricos selected the rest of the trimmings. The colour combination's better than anything I can come up with.

Your comparison between the different luxury umbrella makers is a great perspective on their respective strengths. Talarico indeed has the most interesting woods (which is most unfortunate for my wallet).

Do you have umbrellas from any of the other makers, or even from Talarico(s)? :)

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@brax, an excellent looking umbrella!

rharlow

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment; yours is a real looker too! I merely s
Do you have umbrellas from any of the other makers, or even from Talarico(s)? :)

Thanks for your reply, I have a Maglia with a pigskin handle. I'll be sure to photograph and post soon...

rharlow

Reaction score
Very good guess but I just checked and it is hickory.

Yea, I was going to guess tiger hickory as well. Talarico does great work with tiger hickory, from what I've seen--ranging from predominantly blonde coloration to dense, dark and rich veining, as is the case with your umbrella. A beautiful specimen, thanks for sharing! I like the shape Talarico formed with it, perfect. The canopy looks like a great choice to pair with the wood.

rharlow

Reaction score
@MoosicPa, @Hornicorn, @brax, @romafan
Dear Umbrella aficionados, in case you haven't heard, NoManWalksAlone is having a 20% discount sale for the next few days, through Tuesday Oct.17. I don't think they have sales terribly often. They have some outstanding Talarico umbrellas that are a steal at this discount. I've already placed my order!! Use the discount code "Fourth" when checking out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads