• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

hysteria

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not an umbrella afficcionado but I've never really owned a really hgih quality umbrella previously and looking for some recommendations for <$150. Not something I want to spend too much money on. I will be in Europe this fall and might get some rain in London and Edinburgh so looking for something solid. Those may also be good places to go umbrella shopping so any recommendations are welcome.

Malthus101

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not an umbrella afficcionado but I've never really owned a really hgih quality umbrella previously and looking for some recommendations for <$150. Not something I want to spend too much money on. I will be in Europe this fall and might get some rain in London and Edinburgh so looking for something solid. Those may also be good places to go umbrella shopping so any recommendations are welcome.
If you're in the UK, a Fox could be had new in that sort of price range (way less actually, depending on the model) I have one - excellent umbrella.

hysteria

Reaction score
If you're in the UK, a Fox could be had new in that sort of price range (way less actually, depending on the model) I have one - excellent umbrella.

Thanks for the suggestion.
These are the only ones that are even close to my price range.

Not knowing anything about umbrellas, I'm not sure how to choose. Any recommendations?
I care more about the sturdiness of the umbrella rather than fancy handles. Don't want to pay a premium because the wood handle is fancy.

1662936776252.png

Malthus101

Reaction score
The strongest umbrellas are made on a full "solid" wooden stick. This is different to the steel tubes that most umbrellas are made of, and also the two-piece wooden umbrellas.

But solid stick umbrellas are much more expensive:

They have a guide outlining the differences:

I have a Fox steel tube and it's a very strong umbrella. The strength matters when it's windy and the umbrella will hold strong, not get blown inside out like cheap umbrellas do. This is to do with the tension on the canopy and what the ribs are made of (you want steel ribs)

Any Fox umbrella will do you well. For your price range, steel tube or wodden 2-piece should suffice.

Malthus101

Reaction score
Also, decide if you want an automatic or not. Automatic you press a button and the umbrella opens itself up - manual/traditional, you have to push it up until it locks into place.

logboy

Reaction score
Hey all,

at that price, you'll only find london undercover gets close to fitting the bill of a decent umbrella.

despite being solid stick, they're not strong enough to be used like a walking stick, as traditionally intended on british umbrellas, at the lower end of their prices.

i have several, and they look more decent than most umbrellas, but aren't as good as the better end of this part of the market, which would cost much more.

can't say i definitely recommend any that costs in the hundreds that's made in the UK though - there's doubts about the origins and quality of the materials possible these days.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have two walking length Foxes, one is the metal shaft (approx £130) and the other the solid stick (Now approx £350). I think the strength of the frame is pretty much the same on both but I have heard that if they do get blown out the metal shaft can bend if the wind starts battering the umbrella whilst its inside out (a girlfriend of mine had her metal shaft Fox blown out in a storm and the shaft was bent at almost 45 degrees when she managed to get out of the wind). Also I have two London Undercovers and they are about £130 - I've not risked them in high winds but they are elegant brollies. I think it depends whether you just want a "good" umbrella or whether you want something that's almost an addition to your overall wardrobe. Another thing to consider would be a Fox or Brigg golf brolly. MUCH bigger but also very sturdy and my go to brollies if it's blowing over 30mph... They retail for about £130-150 I believe...

Lucy J

Reaction score
Have brought a London Undercover umbrella to the office today. Looking as though it will get a real test later when I walk home as the wind here in Brighton is really getting up and we are expecting rain by mid-afternoon....

MattyS

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations quality umbrellas one can travel with? These can be folding full-size umbrellas or something smaller that still looks as attractive as possible.

Malthus101

Reaction score

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long do these solid shaft umbrellas last? Can they be repaired or they are pretty much disposable?
They last until you lose them. Note that very high quality solid umbrellas (like my lemon wood model handmade by Mario Talarico in Naples) are quite heavy and can be tiring to hold open for long periods. Something to consider if you find yourself often walking in the rain for more than a block or two.

Last edited:

Lucy J

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone have recommendations quality umbrellas one can travel with? These can be folding full-size umbrellas or something smaller that still looks as attractive as possible.

I've heard good things about Davek umbrellas and I know they do a folding version, but I've never used one so can't speak from experience. On the whole I think the folding frame inevitably makes the umbrella less strong than a regular frame. Fulton do a Jumbo umbrella which is folding but opens up to golf size. I've been through three or four of those in the winds we get here in Brighton but they give very good coverage if the wind is not blowing too much...

Lucy J

Reaction score
How long do these solid shaft umbrellas last? Can they be repaired or they are pretty much disposable?
I live on the coast in Brighton where we get a lot of really rough weather. My Brigg solid has needed to be repaired twice in about 12 years, and my Fox solid has needed to be repaired once in about 16 years. I can't imagine how many "ordinary" umbrellas I would have gone through in that time. And of course each time one of the brollies needed repair I had been using it in absolute full-on storm or squall line conditions, when I didn't have any right to expect any umbrella to hold up, but, as always, I was aiming to protect my hair and makeup and chose to fight the storm with my brolly rather than accept getting soaked. Of course the wind, if it's bad enough, will always win, and you end up getting soaked anyway. Both Brigg and Fox did complete repairs of the frame for about £75 so they really do last until you lose them. If you do get caught in rough weather try half-closing the umbrella which should reduce the pressure on the frame. Hope that helps.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads