• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

corpseposeur

Reaction score
where to repair umbrellas in NYC?

I would have recommended Rain Or Shine, but it seems like they've closed down for good. That's a shame. They were really the only source I knew of in New York for quality umbrellas and service.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Fox
View attachment 1663671
Fox - Custom order.
View attachment 1663672
Maglia
View attachment 1663673
Pasotti
View attachment 1663674
Pasotti
View attachment 1663675
Maglia
View attachment 1663676 View attachment 1663677

Current umbrellas bar one, another Fox with whangee handle and black canopy. Not stored here.

On the look out for a canopy in a medium green, possibly olive and something in orange. Possibly a Blackwatch tartan, also.
Maybe try London Undercover?

despaircollectr

Reaction score
I went for it. I asked about the shipping gaffe from before and this is what they replied with:

heurtault.png

263A9075-scaled.jpg

despaircollectr

Reaction score
Okay gents, today is a good day. My Maglia Francesco folding umbrella has arrived. This is my replacement for my first Maglia which was lost in Mexico a few weeks back. I opted for a bamboo handle this time around, with blue polyester canopy and it's stunning in real life.

I have to say I'm not impressed with the runner made of plastic which feels a bit commercial. I don't recall what I had in my first Maglia, but it wasn't this. Perhaps my first one was marginally better because Kirby Allison might have customized his order, or the quality has gone downhill, I don't know.

*Edit*

I checked my of my old Maglia, it seems they use the same plastic runner. I was not cognizant of this detail until I read more about umbrellas. I've added a picture of my lost one. I hope whoever found it treats it well.

BTW, has anyone managed to contact Talarico successfully? I sent them an email about a purchase order. It seems they don't remove the IVA tax upon checkout even though I live in Canada.
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0519.jpg
Q7ll28v.jpg
UW7KOWe.jpg

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Netflix keeps saying "another season is coming" "another season is coming"...

When the heck is season 3?!?

despaircollectr

Reaction score
Sorry I don’t know all the parts, but:

What is the runner of an umbrella?

The part you push up to deploy the umbrella.

Goofy

Reaction score
Gentleman, I have a Maglia solid stick umbrella made out of Indonesian Malacca root with a metal runner, bought approximately 25 years ago, maybe longer. I’ve hardly ever used it. The drawback of the metal runner is that it will quite easily scratch the wooden shaft of the umbrella when deploying and retracting the mechanism. Believe me, not a pretty sight. Metal runners may look fancy, but they have their drawbacks as well.

konstantis

Reaction score
Sorry I don’t know all the parts, but:

What is the runner of an umbrella?
Yes I have successfully contacted him via Facebook. Also I have successfully purchased a Talarico solid stick via distance via Sartoria Margutti. Highly recommended for their customer service.

despaircollectr

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I’m trying to contact Mario via Facebook like you did. I want an unpolished cherry wood solid stick umbrella, but their site doesn’t have it so I’ll ask if they have some not put online. I see one at NMWA but I’d prefer a patterned canopy this time around.

I hope Mario does not play dumb when I ask him to remove the IVA tax because I don’t have to pay such tax if I live outside of EU. My FM order removed the IVA automatically, I don’t see why Talarico wouldn’t.

konstantis

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I’m trying to contact Mario via Facebook like you did. I want an unpolished cherry wood solid stick umbrella, but their site doesn’t have it so I’ll ask if they have some not put online. I see one at NMWA but I’d prefer a patterned canopy this time around.

I hope Mario does not play dumb when I ask him to remove the IVA tax because I don’t have to pay such tax if I live outside of EU. My FM order removed the IVA automatically, I don’t see why Talarico wouldn’t.
My choice was this one.

Attachments

• C5512627-E070-4CF5-B300-AE3C8F08D94D.jpeg
    C5512627-E070-4CF5-B300-AE3C8F08D94D.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 3CC43C17-F864-4133-B162-1CA5B0285886.jpeg
    3CC43C17-F864-4133-B162-1CA5B0285886.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 3711D0B8-76F1-417F-A445-3089D45325D9.jpeg
    3711D0B8-76F1-417F-A445-3089D45325D9.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 64

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads