• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

konstantis

Reaction score
It is really sad when you buy such an expensive item , but the customer service is poor.

VRose

Reaction score
Just found this forum with umbrella lovers! I recently got a gift from a friend who knows I am a bird lady! He got me Archer Adams umbrella in eagle form. I have a photo attached. I must say, every time I take it around people stop me to ask where its from. Last time I was in London, I took it to a restaurant before the lock down and 4 people in the restaurant stopped to ask me where its from. I am not used to so much attention but definitely love its gothic style. Definitely different from the classic ones like Maglia umbrellas :)

Attachments

• IMG_0975.PNG
    IMG_0975.PNG
    864.8 KB · Views: 164

Lucy J

Reaction score
Just found this forum with umbrella lovers! I recently got a gift from a friend who knows I am a bird lady! He got me Archer Adams umbrella in eagle form. I have a photo attached. I must say, every time I take it around people stop me to ask where its from. Last time I was in London, I took it to a restaurant before the lock down and 4 people in the restaurant stopped to ask me where its from. I am not used to so much attention but definitely love its gothic style. Definitely different from the classic ones like Maglia umbrellas :)
Love that umbrella - can we see it open and is it a metal or wood shaft please. Good to have another girl on here... ?

duffyfluffy123

Reaction score
heurtault has been received back in france, most of the money has been refunded. awaiting only the return shipping costs.

still gutted by the loss, and (more so) by the dismissive customer service that's worded in a polite-but-arrogant manner that seems to lean on "it's handmade" explanation, which, to my mind, is an excuse. you could argue it all day, but, when i think of what else is made, and how much of the flawed (doesn't) make it to market outside of anything but a returns / sales / sample outlet, and given the reputation of heurtault, how lesser makers have navigated the issues which plagues the umbrella i received, i can't help but feel there are aspects it's all too easy to say they need to improve. i've seen handles protected during manufacture. i've seen handles wrapped with consideration for canopy tips being next to solid stick shafts. it feels far too much like the mail order customer might not get the same consideration, and once it's made it's job done. if not, they should have been apologetic not belligerent in not wanting to remake the order, in trying to force it to stay with me at the high price i paid. as brexit hits the fan for imports on january 1st, and, as most other makers seem inaccessible or compromised, stylistically questionable or unappealing, it's game over for umbrellas with me, as far as i can tell.

the kirchtag arrived last week. same issue. tips damaged the stick. has also gone back. no refund yet, but not arrived in austria at this time. making the same claim as heurtault : unavoidable, nobody else has ever returned one, handmade ... blah blah. not buying it. literally, not paying for that. protect what you put so much effort into. it can be done.
What do you mean by tips damaged the stick?
Got a picture?

duffyfluffy123

Reaction score
Hey,
What telescopic umbrella would you guys recommend?
I own a navy Ince solid stick umbrella currently and looking for something for more on the go.
I don't like black colour and wouldn't want to get a second navy. So currently dark green/olive has caught my eye that would be versatile with clothing.
I would want something more durable, solid, that wouldn't break against winds.
London undercover has started their sale 20% off, are there any other options currently?

Last edited:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a navy Ince solid stick umbrella currently and looking for something for more on the go.
Ince make a telescoping one too, why not make it a pair?
That's what I did, their unit seems pretty robust for what it is.

duffyfluffy123

Reaction score
Ince make a telescoping one too, why not make it a pair?
That's what I did, their unit seems pretty robust for what it is.
Looking for best value currently as I live outside of Uk, so shipping is gonna add up aswell. Haven't seen fox umbrellas on sale or Ince. Only londonundercover.

logboy

Reaction score
Looking for best value currently as I live outside of Uk, so shipping is gonna add up aswell. Haven't seen fox umbrellas on sale or Ince. Only londonundercover.

thought LU worldwide shipping was cheap, certainly cheaper than expected. they only seem to discount at black friday.

sure i’ve seen ince offering a code for first order or mailing list sign up, maybe 10%.

duffyfluffy123

Reaction score
Yeah I checked it was only like 8€ to Europe.
Am just searching for best deal possible. But I think currently LU is winning it value wise

logboy

Reaction score
both kirchtag and heurtault have now refunded me, including for return postage.

i will share what pictures i kept and have to hand. not best pictures or all damage, but somewhat representative.

again, this was canopy tips rubbing the stick due to poor packaging.

only heurtault resorted (far too quickly and without seeing it in person) to claims it’s an issue of being handmade.

ive seen, as will all of us, handmade items far more complicated if not also much cheaper, without such issues.

for me, this was a cop-out assuming little or no prior experience of handmade items.

also reflects lack of consideration for issues likely to occur either in making or posting that need to be compensated for.

remember, heurtault came to £600. kirchtag £400. i will always be disappointed about the heurtault, as it was beyond my highest expectations in its materials (frame, fabric, stick quality) and overall look - elegant, subtle, refined.

heurtault

EBDE2158-3E9C-4294-B0D3-491F2D06F514.jpeg

incorrect tip colour; clearly requested as dark, got light.
AD687342-1BCA-4D1D-85A6-46B968CF23DC.jpeg

kirchtag; below. i have a better picture elsewhere, but same issue. much more copious marks in direct light as softer wood and only waxed.

4497D655-4792-4B16-B2ED-29704B3DF25F.jpeg

konstantis

Reaction score
both kirchtag and heurtault have now refunded me, including for return postage.

i will share what pictures i kept and have to hand. not best pictures or all damage, but somewhat representative.

again, this was canopy tips rubbing the stick due to poor packaging.

only heurtault resorted (far too quickly and without seeing it in person) to claims it’s an issue of being handmade.

ive seen, as will all of us, handmade items far more complicated if not also much cheaper, without such issues.

for me, this was a cop-out assuming little or no prior experience of handmade items.

also reflects lack of consideration for issues likely to occur either in making or posting that need to be compensated for.

remember, heurtault came to £600. kirchtag £400. i will always be disappointed about the heurtault, as it was beyond my highest expectations in its materials (frame, fabric, stick quality) and overall look - elegant, subtle, refined.

heurtault

View attachment 1508627

incorrect tip colour; clearly requested as dark, got light.
View attachment 1508628

kirchtag; below. i have a better picture elsewhere, but same issue. much more copious marks in direct light as softer wood and only waxed.

View attachment 1508629
The damage in the heurtault , is far more obvious due the dark colour of the stick i think.

Goofy

Reaction score
I recently acquired a black canape bark chestnut solid stick manufactured by Fox. It’s quite nice.

In order to prevent damage, Fox solid stick umbrellas come installed with rubber rings where the tips meet the shaft.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads