• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

logboy

Reaction score
Send us pictures please.

this is blueberry7's kirchtag posted in the dedicated thread >

all the information on their website is very good insight if you google translate it. especially the origins of parts and preparation of sticks. gives a sense of the effort and skill involved.

konstantis

Reaction score
this is blueberry7's kirchtag posted in the dedicated thread >

all the information on their website is very good insight if you google translate it. especially the origins of parts and preparation of sticks. gives a sense of the effort and skill involved.
Really good looking frames. I am impressed

logboy

Reaction score
received heurtault this morning. no pictures yet, as arrived with a couple of issues. shop is closed today. awaiting response. tips have marked the stick, horn ferrule is pale when i said dark. not wrapped very well, in my opinion - just one piece of paper loosely around handle (which didn't stop tips moving onto shaft), placed within bubblewrap and box. needed to be held into place to stop movement of it.

anyway, clearly something a cut above. very slender, elegant stick which is weighty and strong. lovely firm, silent mechanism. beautiful fabric (metal navy blue). canopy is a domed shape, which is my choice that's a little out of the ordinary, looks stylish. almost unbelievably crisp fabric when unclipped and wraps very easily back into shape. has a matching sleeve. discrete black tags inside both.

suspect i will be asking to have it remade with correct ferule and wrapped securely to not damaged in transit.

logboy

Reaction score
Di you purchased a Heurtault except from Kirchtag ?

heurtault directly from heurtault. had an initial response. says, quite belligerently, either send back for refund (at my expense, it seems) or keep it as is. no apology, no understanding horn colour was requested as dark, no concern wrapping was poor and damage easily avoidable. have asked for it to be remade, and this one retrieved at their expense. we shall see what happens.

logboy

Reaction score
May i ask the price of Heurtault ?

590 euros plus 35 shipping.

if it had been done with the correct horn, and wrapped properly, it would be worth every penny. quite amazed at how well it's been made, but very carelessly packaged. initial email response to problem also puts me off recommending them as far as ordering by mail is concerned.

konstantis

Reaction score
Thank you. Please let me know how you find thw quality compared to Kirchtag , when you receive it. How is the quality compared to Maglias that hoy have owned ?

logboy

Reaction score
Thank you. Please let me know how you find thw quality compared to Kirchtag , when you receive it. How is the quality compared to Maglias that hoy have owned ?

infinitely better than the maglia. the frame is metal throughout, extremely firm and solid; maglia's has some plastic elements, i think. very slender fit against the stick, so wrapping the canopy back up doesn't pressure the frame against the stick particularly. silent operation and very smooth. the quality of the fabric impresses me far more than maglia, too, sleek and fine, feels more durable. the way it holds it's crisp shape and rolls back into place when closed is something else - looks like a silk japanese umbrella, very elegant. have noticed some more marks on the stick on the frame further up, which haven't had many opportunities to occur because it's been made in the last week.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
infinitely better than the maglia. the frame is metal throughout, extremely firm and solid; maglia's has some plastic elements, i think.
That's ****, really sorry to hear about such slack packaging for a fine product. Which parts of the Maglias are plastic? Just looking at my Ince and I don't see any except for a rubber stop (rosette?) at the top interior.

logboy

Reaction score
That's ****, really sorry to hear about such slack packaging for a fine product. Which parts of the Maglias are plastic? Just looking at my Ince and I don't see any except for a rubber stop (rosette?) at the top interior.
on mine, i think the main mechanism is. not sure.

logboy

Reaction score

kirchtag apparently shipped to me last friday. not arrived yet.

heurtault seem intentionally deaf on making a replacement. they're ploughing on with giving me details for return and saying they'll cover that cost when they refund me. great shame. still baffled someone would make something so nice and wrap it so badly - didn't take me very long to wrap it up properly to send it back. if it had arrived with a dark horn tip, and undamaged, i would have kept it. gladly had it remade if they'd understood - and agreed to - take notice of the original specification and considered how to protect it in transit.

logboy

Reaction score
heurtault has been received back in france, most of the money has been refunded. awaiting only the return shipping costs.

still gutted by the loss, and (more so) by the dismissive customer service that's worded in a polite-but-arrogant manner that seems to lean on "it's handmade" explanation, which, to my mind, is an excuse. you could argue it all day, but, when i think of what else is made, and how much of the flawed (doesn't) make it to market outside of anything but a returns / sales / sample outlet, and given the reputation of heurtault, how lesser makers have navigated the issues which plagues the umbrella i received, i can't help but feel there are aspects it's all too easy to say they need to improve. i've seen handles protected during manufacture. i've seen handles wrapped with consideration for canopy tips being next to solid stick shafts. it feels far too much like the mail order customer might not get the same consideration, and once it's made it's job done. if not, they should have been apologetic not belligerent in not wanting to remake the order, in trying to force it to stay with me at the high price i paid. as brexit hits the fan for imports on january 1st, and, as most other makers seem inaccessible or compromised, stylistically questionable or unappealing, it's game over for umbrellas with me, as far as i can tell.

the kirchtag arrived last week. same issue. tips damaged the stick. has also gone back. no refund yet, but not arrived in austria at this time. making the same claim as heurtault : unavoidable, nobody else has ever returned one, handmade ... blah blah. not buying it. literally, not paying for that. protect what you put so much effort into. it can be done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics