• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

konstantis

Reaction score
i’ve ordered a kirchtag solid stick.

not an easy process right now, but new website coming in a month or so, apparently.

many, many exotic and unusual stick choices. available in two lengths : 100cm or 93cm. i don’t think anyone else in the world uses quite this range. lengthy process to prepare their sticks, too.

these are the solid sticks currently in stock according to what i was told this week. higher price is for larger size. some woods more expensive than others. see their website for pictures of each.

Apfel / Apple 380 / 350 euro
Birne / Pear 380 / 350 euro
Eiche / Oak 350 / 330 euro
Esche / Ash 350 / 330 euro
Hickory 350 / 330 euro
Kirsche / Cherry 350 / 330 euro
Nuss / Nut 380 / 350 euro
Ulme / Elm 350 / 330 euro

don’t know if this selection is affected by the seasons or because they just get used up from time to time. should be clearer with a new website.

frames and parts apparently from britain, italy and germany.

some of this can be translated from their website which is german only.

you choose fabric from website pictures (and state code when ordered) and metal parts colour (silver or brass) when ordered too. payment via phone or bank transfer, around two weeks turnaround, paid when sent if by card.

very helpful and patient. understands its slow with their old website. mr kirchtag speaks better english on phone than when answering emails.

postage to me in england at 55 euros.

ive chosen apple at 100cm, with aluminium parts and navy blue polyester fabric. will post pics.
May i ask the reasons that yyou decided to purchase a kirchtag solid stick.? Thanks

logboy

Reaction score
May i ask the reasons that yyou decided to purchase a kirchtag solid stick.? Thanks

no chinese parts, unusual woods. tired of english makers not declaring where their materials are from, or refusing to answer the question, or simply stating chinese despite the high price. too many makers here trying to maintain a price point despite compromised qualities caused by downturn in british industry (closed frame makers) and rise in cheap chinese steel.

there’s a certain amount of unavoidable ‘flying blind’ to this process, but it comes from small companies, old websites, niche interest.

also ... brexit. it’s now or possibly never, as prices will rise by 20% as of january 1st next year. importation will be prohibitive.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, bookmarked Kirchtag.

konstantis

Reaction score
no chinese parts, unusual woods. tired of english makers not declaring where their materials are from, or refusing to answer the question, or simply stating chinese despite the high price. too many makers here trying to maintain a price point despite compromised qualities caused by downturn in british industry (closed frame makers) and rise in cheap chinese steel.

there’s a certain amount of unavoidable ‘flying blind’ to this process, but it comes from small companies, old websites, niche interest.

also ... brexit. it’s now or possibly never, as prices will rise by 20% as of january 1st next year. importation will be prohibitive.
Did they confirm you that the frames aren’t Chinese ?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty minimal website, how much are they?

That is, Kirchtag.

logboy

Reaction score
Do you know where the frames of MAGLIA are from ?

"As an example of how much Maglia stands alone, it used to source the ribs of its umbrellas from an Italian factory, where it had been a customer for 120 years.

In 1991, that maker - the last in Europe - finally had to close. Maglia was the only client left and their orders couldn’t justify new investment required in machinery.

“When they shut, they gave us the technical patterns for all their parts, and helped us find a supplier in China,” says Francesco. “They wanted to see us carry on.”"

i have two magma's. both fit-ups. both unused - not been in my rotation - so i may sell one. i didn't know the frames were chinese when i bought them two years ago. live and learn.

logboy

Reaction score
Pretty minimal website, how much are they?

That is, Kirchtag.

i've already posted the prices for the sticks currently in stock. check back through the thread to see.

konstantis

Reaction score

"As an example of how much Maglia stands alone, it used to source the ribs of its umbrellas from an Italian factory, where it had been a customer for 120 years.

In 1991, that maker - the last in Europe - finally had to close. Maglia was the only client left and their orders couldn’t justify new investment required in machinery.

“When they shut, they gave us the technical patterns for all their parts, and helped us find a supplier in China,” says Francesco. “They wanted to see us carry on.”"

i have two magma's. both fit-ups. both unused - not been in my rotation - so i may sell one. i didn't know the frames were chinese when i bought them two years ago. live and learn.
What about Talarico ?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, saw your post in the Kirchtag thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads