• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

logboy

Reaction score
I was going to pick up a London Undercover (and may still) but it seems like their only shipping option costs $26 which I'm adverse to. I don't need it from the U.K. in 1-2 days a week or two would be fine.

Are there any comparable brands similarly priced with better shipping? I was looking at this model:

there's nobody else in the world that does a solid stick umbrella at that kind of price - that's the main appeal of them, in my opinion, as far as i know. i find other parts of their range bettered by other makers - their fit-ups at £130 or so, for example, i'd rather look at ince or dagg.

i've got several LU, but at 6' 2" and having researched some more, i'd probably not have another - they're long enough for anyone 5' 10" or so, and okay if you want something quite solid without going OTT on price, but for a "bit more" (quite a lot, actually, but worth it) you could go for a decent talarico or maglia, possibly even spring for brigg or fox, jamese smith solid sticks which are thicker, heftier, longer, built to a higher level.

my maglia was dead stock, discussed and offered to me at a reduced price, and, by the time they sent me the wrong colour (which they let me keep for free) they work out at the same sort of price as the LU ones - but they're infinitely better. about £150 for a maglia, is you put in the work and have the patience to ask for anything that's available at a reduced price. and be nice about it.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to pick up a London Undercover (and may still) but it seems like their only shipping option costs $26 which I'm adverse to. I don't need it from the U.K. in 1-2 days a week or two would be fine.

Are there any comparable brands similarly priced with better shipping? I was looking at this model:
It ain't cheap to ship umbrellas.
Try having one sent to Canada sometime...

Lucy J

Reaction score
We’ve had some really rough weather the last week or so in Brighton. Was delighted that my London Undercover umbrella held up in severe gale force winds (45-50mph) and heavy rain yesterday afternoon and evening. Sadly one of my Brigg golf brollies was wrecked the previous Sunday - but it was even worse and I was caught out in a violent squall line/downburst with thunder, lightning, horizontal hail and winds gusting between 60 and 70mph. I was trying to hold the Brigg horizontal like a shield but the power of the wind just buckled the frame and the whole brolly collapsed around me. I’ve spoken to Brigg andmay take it in to their London shop to see if it’s worth repairing it rather than buying a new brolly... Sadly I was somewhere where I couldn’t get to shelter so I hung on tight to the open umbrella and prayed it would survive....

mercury

Reaction score
How do you aficionados bring umbrellas back home?

Do you pick up a Maglia and put it in diagonally in your suitcase? Or get it shipped back home while you travel?

Asking as I'm heading to Naples later this year, and deciding between taking my usual (smaller) suitcase, or a full size one just to fit a Talarico (or two).

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I flew on Air Canada (couple of years ago) umbrellas could still be carried on board with you. Airline FAQ should help you out.
Looks like Ryanair still lets 'em on board, they're still the worst, right?

Last edited:

mercury

Reaction score
Ha, I actually am leaving Italy via Ryanair. First time flying with them (not many airlines fly to Armenia).
Will check out the FAQs, thanks @ojaw !

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had Talarico ship me mine. Painfully expensive, but I figured I didn't want to wrassle with the airlines.

I am not sure a Talarico would fit in my check luggage, even length wise.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I've never been hassled about taking a brolly on a plane...

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've taken an umbrella on a plane, as far as I know they don't even consider it one of your "personal items." Unfortunately left it in the taxi on the way home at 1:30 AM and paid cash so it's gone forever. On that note, if anyone is looking to pare their collection down, I'm in the market for another solid stick.

LuxGentleman

Reaction score
To all fans of handmade umbrellas here is the new collection of Mario Talarico for LUXGENTLEMAN, I waited more than 90 days for the realization but now they are available in 30 copies.
there are also other models but I didn't want to go too long.

25_02_20-14.jpg 25_02_20-23.jpg 25_02_20-33.jpg 25_02_20-40.jpg 25_02_20-48.jpg 25_02_20-57.jpg 25_02_20-66.jpg 25_02_20-75.jpg 25_02_20-84.jpg 25_02_20-93.jpg 25_02_20-102.jpg 25_02_20-131.jpg 25_02_20-186.jpg 25_02_20-171.jpg

LuxGentleman

Reaction score
this is me in the center of Naples precisely in the Spanish Quarters where Mario Talarico has his workshop as a craftsman, in my hands I have an umbrella that I bought for myself. it is a one-piece chestnut with jacquard canopy, very solid and resistant.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-05 at 17.19.35.jpeg

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's nobody else in the world that does a solid stick umbrella at that kind of price - that's the main appeal of them, in my opinion, as far as i know. i find other parts of their range bettered by other makers - their fit-ups at £130 or so, for example, i'd rather look at ince or dagg.

i've got several LU, but at 6' 2" and having researched some more, i'd probably not have another - they're long enough for anyone 5' 10" or so, and okay if you want something quite solid without going OTT on price, but for a "bit more" (quite a lot, actually, but worth it) you could go for a decent talarico or maglia, possibly even spring for brigg or fox, jamese smith solid sticks which are thicker, heftier, longer, built to a higher level.

my maglia was dead stock, discussed and offered to me at a reduced price, and, by the time they sent me the wrong colour (which they let me keep for free) they work out at the same sort of price as the LU ones - but they're infinitely better. about £150 for a maglia, is you put in the work and have the patience to ask for anything that's available at a reduced price. and be nice about it.

FWIW, the LU at £62.50 list their handles as "combined." My assumption is that what you are getting is not a solid stick umbrella, but something fit together.

The umbrellas listed as "solid stick" are more expensive on their website.

logboy

Reaction score
FWIW, the LU at £62.50 list their handles as "combined." My assumption is that what you are getting is not a solid stick umbrella, but something fit together.

The umbrellas listed as "solid stick" are more expensive on their website.

i have 3 of their solid sticks, cost about £65 at the time.

here’s one i like, £75 >

higher price ones in their range are often fit-ups, two piece.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have 3 of their solid sticks, cost about £65 at the time.

here’s one i like, £75 >

higher price ones in their range are often fit-ups, two piece.

This is nice-looking. Its described as "combined maplewood." I assumed this was some process of combining pieces of wood, does it mean something else?

logboy

Reaction score
This is nice-looking. Its described as "combined maplewood." I assumed this was some process of combining pieces of wood, does it mean something else?

must do. two piece constructions usually connect a shaft to a handle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads