1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MoosicPa, Jun 24, 2017.

1. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

Great thread, chaps! I think I need to up my brolly game...

Can one buy Talarico in London?

2. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

Is Maglia the maker of James Smith umbrellas, and if so are there differences between those and his own?

3. Easily Amused

Easily Amused Senior Member

A CNN article on Mario Talarico umbrellas. Makes me want to add a second Talarico to my collection...

4. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

I ended up ordering a folder and solid stick from Ince, sort of under the radar in this thread.

5. Michael Jondral

Michael Jondral Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

May I suggest / introduce Francesco Maglia Umbrellas ?

He represents one of the last artisanal umbrella manufacturers in the world. His umbrellas are created entirely by hand and about 70 steps are required until such a masterpiece is completed.

Mr. Maglia represents this wonderful - founded in 1854 - family business in its fifth generation and produces exclusively in the family factory in Milan. In his Milan workshop, umbrellas are created for many different world-famous brands, which are merchandised under their own names. Among these brands are: Hermès, Prada, Tom Ford or even the famous London umbrella factory J. Smith & Sons ;)

If you ask me, the umbrellas of the master unite not only quality & function. They rather exude a unique, individual charm. You will never hesitate to take an umbrella with you, as this gentleman accessory will complete your best outfit and provide an additional portion of sophistication and "Sprezzatura".

[​IMG]

6. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

Maglia is well known on this thread and in the Styleforum world.

7. khughes44

khughes44 Well-Known Member

May I ask how one is supposed to "wear" one's umbrella? Does one coordinate the colour with one's coat or hat, or what? Are there any guidelines one should follow?

8. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

Guessing from the fact that most umbrellas sold back in the day were black I'd say it depends on whether you want to go traditional or not. If you're trad, your black umbrella will go nicely with your black bowler and suit...

I just bought a travel and solid stick in what's called "Kingfisher", and I don't own anything in that colour. I say let your freak flag fly when it comes to the shade of your shade.

I'm sure someone with actual knowledge will chime in at some point, or maybe check out the guy at https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/umbrella-guide/ along with the comments at the end of the article.

9. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

A black brolly officially goes with everything, though i think that if one's wearing VERY colourful / summery clothes perhaps not so great.

A coloured brolly, IMO, could be thought of in the same terms as a pocket square: it should complement rather than match the other clothes.

10. khughes44

khughes44 Well-Known Member

JJ, ojaw;

Thank you. I have an umbrella with an olive canopy, and my raincoat is olive. It may be a little too much. Good excuse to buy a black one too, as if I need an excuse!

11. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

Cheers, buy a black coat as well.
    Maybe a navy umbrella and coat too.
    This is the kind of hole I usually fall into if cash is available.