1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MoosicPa, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Hornicorn

Hornicorn New Member

Thanks for the heads-up! I don't think I'll be getting anything, but what did you order? Can't wait to see what you end up with :)

@brax , that handle's a beauty, pity we can't see more of it ;)

2. rharlow

rharlow Senior Member

I decided to get the cherry wood full-stick with the English tan mini-gun club pattern. Knowing that Talarico is especially known for their unshaven (i.e. leaving the bark on) full sticks, particularly in aromatic cherry wood, this looked like an outstanding example. Additionally, I'm intrigued by the canopy--it looks like it might not be fully polyester (not that there's anything wrong with that, their polyester canopies are beautiful!), but it perhaps be a cotton/poly blend. They've been known to work with cotton blends from time to time, and the texture is attractive. Plus the tan pattern will be perfect for Spring and Summer, with tweed suits, English country style! I'll be sure to share a pic...

3. supern0va

supern0va Senior Member

I hope this isn’t too noob a question. I’m considering a Talarico with a bamboo (whangee?) handle.

I was told it is not a solid stick:

Is this correct? I do like the looks of the umbrella (based on pictures). :)

4. rharlow

rharlow Senior Member

This is a very good question. I have in fact seen several reputable websites mistakingly advertising whangee/bamboo umbrellas as "solid" or "full" stick. The source you site is correct: no whangee umbrella is full stick, as the uneven surface of bamboo makes it impractical for the ring to slide up the shaft. Whangee is only used for the handle. Furthermore, as your source states (where are you quoting, if I may ask?), Talarico does an excellent job blending the shaft into the whangee, so it looks like a solid, full stick shaft/handle. They don't merely glue it together, but rather shape the end of the shaft so it fits perfectly into a joint in the whangee. As you can see in my example above, it's seamless. Almost every other umbrella maker, even Brigg and Fox, simply insert a smaller diameter shaft into the end of the whangee, creating an obvious joint, not making the effort to carve the shaft so as to seamlessly flare up and blend into the whangee handle. The only other maker I've seen who blends the shaft and bamboo handle like Talarico is Maglia (seen a few examples online at least, not sure if they always do this). So, I suggest going with a Talarico. One word of caution: I would avoid the cheaper Talaricos which use a smaller diameter shaft. They are easily identifiable by their brass "M. Talarico" ring at the handle joint, rather than the small brass plate hammered into the handle--they look like cheaper knock offs, though I do believe they are in fact by Talarico, but I'm not sure how this lower-end line came about. But if you see a Talarico whangee with a seamlessly blended shaft that you like (and authentic brass plate in the handle), I'd say go for it!!

5. supern0va

supern0va Senior Member

Thanks @rharlow for the detailed response. The advice came from shibumi Firenze. I went ahead to purchase the umbrella! Hopefully it will be as good as it looks in pictures!

A19201EE-F51C-4EEB-ABDB-829C467886F1.jpeg

6. rharlow

rharlow Senior Member

Great, looks like an outstanding umbrella! They know what they're talking about at Shibumi-Firenze. Ten joints is a high number for a whangee handle, fairly rare and a great find. I'm sure you'll admire the way Talarico shapes the joint from the whangee to the shaft. Please share more photos of the full umbrella once you receive it!

7. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Distinguished Member

My apologies for not posting sooner, but time seems to fly bye. To make-up for my desertion from this thread, I am going to post a couple of my special umbrellas here... starting with my Hermes umbrella... appears to be made my Maglia, with a solid maple handle and shaft, Hermes orange heavy quilted nylon canopy with the hallmark "H" embroidered.... 032.JPG 035.JPG 037.JPG 039.JPG 041.JPG

8. MoosicPa

042.JPG 046.JPG 047.JPG 048.JPG 049.JPG This is another Maglia Francesco Lord umbrella with a with a solid maple shaft and the handle is covered in pigskin leather. The canopy is a plain flat black nylon.

9. MoosicPa

This is another Maglia Francesco in collaboration with George Cleverley... it is Maglia's Lord umbrella, solid stick, with the handle covered in rare 1786 Russian Leather. The canopy is a woven nylon/cotton blend and of magnificent quality...

051.JPG 053.JPG 057.JPG

10. MoosicPa

Last for tonite, a new maker I came across and was impressed with their product. Carl Dagg is a Swedish manufacturer of umbrellas. I ordered one to try it, and was impressed, especially for the price the quality is spot on, so I ordered 2 more.... . The shaft and handle are made of unspecified hardwood (not solid stick), and the canopy is made of cotton. Reminded me of the old Burberry cotton canopied umbrellas they used to sell, before their quality went to hell.

058.JPG

059.JPG

064.JPG

065.JPG

069.JPG

11. Hornicorn

Hornicorn New Member

@MoosicPa Lovely umbrellas! I'm aware of Maglia's renown for its leather-covered handles, but would you mind extolling their virtues over ordinary wooden handles?

Also, congrats on obtaining the George Cleverley reindeer hide umbrella ;)

12. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

You need to take me shopping! Brelly envy.

13. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

9C797C5F-9D97-420F-899E-2DB306F0729F.jpeg
    My first Pasotti, prefer Maglia, still it fills a void.

14. supern0va

supern0va Senior Member

15. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Time to bump the thread, gentlemen.

This week I have been re-united with my bark ash Brigg after a repair by Swaine Adeney Brigg. Very pleased with the polite, attentive service I received from the day I dropped it off at the London shop in September, through the email exchanges with the workshop to finalise the specification to the collection earlier this week. It has had a new frame and new sleeve, retaining the original ring on the end of the latter, which the lady in the shop recommended, all for a reasonable £89.

Brigg repair.JPG

Brigg going back.JPG
    Before I returned it with the old cover which had never had a very clean finish around the top.

Brigg Olivia full.png
    The repaired item - looking forward to some rain!