• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Turned out pretty damn well. Best thing is I have five portions in vacuum freezer bags for weeknight meals.

IMG_20211127_172511_950.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mother in law had an extra turkey (ended up going somewhere else for thanksgiving), so tonight I'm doing this sous vide turkey (but not the deep fried sous vide turkey porchetta).

Turkey is still in the bath, so we'll see how that turns out. I didn't pull the tenderloins but realize that Kenji says to do so in the comments. Might leave it a little longer in the bath just to make sure it all cooks through.

Crispy skin didn't turn out super well though. It shriveled up and the parchment paper stuck to it, so I was only able to actually peel out a couple big pieces. Thoughts on what might have gone wrong:
1. No-name parchment paper is just ******.
2. Her oven is hotter than expected and I took the parchment past its max temp of 400 and/or left it too long
3. The second sheet pan was smaller. It covered at least 90% of the skin, but maybe by not extending past the edge, it didn't have the size/heft to stop the skin from shrinking and sticking to the parchment?
4. The skin was oddly thin except for a few spots. It was a cheapo butterball turkey, so maybe the skin just sucked?

Kept the legs/thighs/wings...not sure what to do with them or if I will leave them with the MIL. Turkey leg confit?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's a local guy and he's become a bit of a thing in the bread making world. Mrs. Piob was one of his first customers, when he had first quit his day job, and was baking bread in a pizza oven in his garage. He held an open air class last week and part of the deal is you got to take home some of his sour dough starter. She made an awesome loaf of darker bread last week and yesterday did regular sour dough dinner rolls. Very awesome, with a good chewy crust, but light and fluffy inside.

Friday she's going to make a sour dough pizza crust and next Sunday I'm planning pasta fazool that she'll make a crusty loaf for.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I might have already stolen two rolls before I snapped this pic...

20211128_135451.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone sent us a PieCaken for Thanksgiving. It's the turducken of desserts: a pecan pie topped with a pumpkin pie on which a spice cake is stacked. It's frosted and layered with a cinnamon buttercream. On top is an apple compote and some little lady finger type confections. The darn thing is delicious but it could be said it is to sweets what Las Vegas is to architecture.

As my mother would have said. That thing is ... something.

the-piecaken.9992e7658b4d3b729e1dd8bf8f13e319.jpg

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mrs. Piob made some crusty, sour dough bread and I made pasta fazool.

IMG_20211205_153753_423.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Getting my meez on.

20211211_094914.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First batch of fudge for the season (semisweet chocolate with walnuts).

7E55FD17-74B3-438B-8A79-59FC026BE64A.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Btw, the pasta salad turned out really well. Took the noodles to fully cooked, did not rinse to keep the starch on them, tossed around in a big mixing bowl intermittently over 20-25 minutes until they were room temp. Used Penzeys Green Goddess dressing blend that I used half full fat Greek yogurt and half full fat mayo, S&P, and two tablespoons of a good white wine vinegar for acidity. Tossed in all the veggies above (bell pepper, celery, shallots,) a can of sliced black olives, and let it all blend in the fridge for several hours. It was gobbled up heartily so I think I'll use this recipe again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads