• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Italy I had this cave-aged Parmiggiano that was unreal. St. Andre for easily-found cheeses. A good sweet blue is nice.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could eat more blue cheese, as it always looks so tasty. I have an allergy to the mold. Luckily it's the only cheese that's been a problem.

Definitely agreed on the St. Andre!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every once and a while I buy a block of salted Kerrygold if I know I am going to be eating buttered bread. Is it really worth it for unsalted butter that mostly gets melted or baked in to things?

Bonus points for baking/buying fresh soda bread around St. Patrick's day and smearing it with kerrygold.
IMO it's way better for finishing sauces because of the higher fat content. Makes them silkier. I also use it for mashed potatoes & purees... essentially anything I want to be really decadent. I use regular American butter for almost everything else though.

I just took my flour inventory.
  1. King Arthur all-purpose (I buy 25 lbs. bags and store in a 22 qt Cambro)
  2. King Arthur bread
  3. King Arthur Sir Lancelot (high gluten - want to try it in pizza dough)
  4. White Lily self rising (for those authentic Southern biscuits)
  5. cake flour
  6. pastry flour (bought by accident because I thought it was the same as cake flour)
  7. 00 flour
  8. semolina
  9. rice flour
  10. oat flour (no idea why we have this - I think it was for a cake or cookie recipe that never got made)
  11. masa
It's getting a little out-of-hand.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those Cabot seriously sharp bricks from costco are a great deal.

But we don't get them much anymore because once we have one of those in the fridge, it suddenly seems like everything has unhealthy amounts of cheese on it, lunches are grilled cheese, etc.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO it's way better for finishing sauces because of the higher fat content. Makes them silkier. I also use it for mashed potatoes & purees... essentially anything I want to be really decadent. I use regular American butter for almost everything else though.

I just took my flour inventory.
  1. King Arthur all-purpose (I buy 25 lbs. bags and store in a 22 qt Cambro)
  2. King Arthur bread
  3. King Arthur Sir Lancelot (high gluten - want to try it in pizza dough)
  4. White Lily self rising (for those authentic Southern biscuits)
  5. cake flour
  6. pastry flour (bought by accident because I thought it was the same as cake flour)
  7. 00 flour
  8. semolina
  9. rice flour
  10. oat flour (no idea why we have this - I think it was for a cake or cookie recipe that never got made)
  11. masa
It's getting a little out-of-hand.

And here I thought I was bad...

1. bread flour (Ardent Mills)
2. Organic all purpose flour
3. King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour

brokencycle

Reaction score
Those Cabot seriously sharp bricks from costco are a great deal.

But we don't get them much anymore because once we have one of those in the fridge, it suddenly seems like everything has unhealthy amounts of cheese on it, lunches are grilled cheese, etc.

There's no such thing, and fyi, the bricks at Sam's are like half the price (it is $8 vs $15 S vs C here).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weird, nowhere near that high here. Want to say it is like $8.99 most of the time.

Sometimes they have the black one for 15, but I don't think that one is any better.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oysters Rockefeller and Smoked Tri-tip sandwiches on the water at Tomales Bay. 70 and sunny. Cali, bro.

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall Store!

Love that place. Their clam chowder saved many a cold bike ride when I still lived in CA.
Yup. All outside now -- front door is the new order window and they bring the food to you on the deck or at standing tables along Highway 1. My wife always gets the chowder, too. There were a ton of cyclists out on the road from Woodacre to Nicasio Reservoir -- that's a great ride.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue cheese is garbage. It can't be the winner. Sharp cheddar is probably my favorite, but that's too pleb for this forum.
Best blue cheese I ever had was when I was in Paris and some Michelin star restaurant served bleu cheese. Most blue cheeses in the US are overly pungent while the French bleu cheese seems to get the flavor just right.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. All outside now -- front door is the new order window and they bring the food to you on the deck or at standing tables along Highway 1. My wife always gets the chowder, too. There were a ton of cyclists out on the road from Woodacre to Nicasio Reservoir -- that's a great ride.

Man, just noticed the beer from Mad River. I love that place too. We went there for lunch one day while staying with friends in Arcata in April 2019.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads