• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what type of birds do you know?
a) those who fly by sake of their feathered wings;
b) those who lay, cooked, in a dish.

Btw, in my regional dialect, oseo (pl. osei), other than 'bird' means 'dick' and this brings to my memory a scary episode.
In high school, my English teacher was a German lady (guess how fine an English I could have learnt ...).
One day, dunno how, she was in a critic mood towards regional cuisine and stated "I don't like polenta! How can anyone like such a thing?"
Then I raised my hand and asked "c'mon Madam, don't you like osei??"
That time my mom had to come and explain to my school's Principal that I wasn't a pervert but just an idiot.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, my teacher was quite a milf so we randy teens would gladly have her enjoy even three

EDIT ... you mean a pervert AND an idiot ... well, *ahem* ...
Yeah I think you just proved my point

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Luigi_M Family (Great Grandparents) from Northern Treviso. The bite of the salad is relatable. I find my vinaigrettes tend to be more acidic, always thought it was personal taste - but now I realize it was early life conditioning.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also some new books...

Techniques by the FCI. Meh for the home cook. In theory it's fantastic, in application each recipe seems to put you in a rigid box of instruction.

Barbuto - have not cooked from, but early read and it's excellent.

And I'm trying to get into Dirt by Bill Buford, but it's slow. I just don't give a **** about your family's Visa process.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
53F2F7E1-6172-4A46-9D7E-817678DE6884.jpeg

@edinatlanta
As you’re always amazed/disgusted about the ***** foods we eat here in the Netherlands. Here’s a quintessentially Dutch one, made on my wife’s request.

This is called “boterkoek”, butter cake if translated directly, sadly it doesn’t even have an English wiki.

275gr brown sugar
300gr of flour
250gr of butter
Pinch of salt
1 egg

use a strainer to put the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter in large chunks and use two knives to cut it into small flakes, mix with the flour and sugar. Kneed the dough into a ball and refrigerate for an hour. Afterwards, put the dough into any form (baking paper underneath) and scramble the egg in a separate bowl. Use a brush to create a thin film on top of the dough, and cut a pattern into the top so the egg will stick. 180degrees celcius for 35 min. Let cool for another 2 or3 hours at minimum. Eat within a day or three.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1481644
@edinatlanta
As you’re always amazed/disgusted about the ***** foods we eat here in the Netherlands. Here’s a quintessentially Dutch one, made on my wife’s request.

This is called “boterkoek”, butter cake if translated directly, sadly it doesn’t even have an English wiki.

275gr brown sugar
300gr of flour
250gr of butter
Pinch of salt
1 egg

use a strainer to put the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter in large chunks and use two knives to cut it into small flakes, mix with the flour and sugar. Kneed the dough into a ball and refrigerate for an hour. Afterwards, put the dough into any form (baking paper underneath) and scramble the egg in a separate bowl. Use a brush to create a thin film on top of the dough, and cut a pattern into the top so the egg will stick. 180degrees celcius for 35 min. Let cool for another 2 or3 hours at minimum. Eat within a day or three.
Lmao that **** ain't lasting three days ngl

Also the knives-and-butter technique in English is called "cutting the butter" into flour!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lmao that **** ain't lasting three days ngl

Also the knives-and-butter technique in English is called "cutting the butter" into flour!
Ah thanks!
And it won’t last that long here either, will require some long walks with the dog to burn it off.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad picture, but anyway:

001.jpg

I'm lazy with pasta these days.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1481644
@edinatlanta

275gr brown sugar
300gr of flour
250gr of butter
Pinch of salt
1 egg

This is like a giant shortbread pie

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Working on the Anglo "meat and 2 veg".
Today's experiment - the 2 veg.
PSX_20201022_224231.jpg

Baked potato with broccoli and cheese sauce.

If I could have just one half of this, with a lamb chop and gravy or mint jelly? Done. :drool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads