• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Non home-made smash burger with a bacon patty -- they grind the bacon and cook it on the griddle with the beef. This seems to me to be an eminently sensible idea.

View attachment 1458494

that’s the correct bread to meat ratio. Nothing worse than a burger with a bun that is twice as thick as the patty.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what is detroit style pizza? Assuming it's not just Little Caesars.

good food scene in Detroit, btw, though not sure how it is in covid.
Little Ceasar's is the fast-food version of Detroit Pizza. As a jumping off point it's basically thick Sicilian-style pizza but greasier.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what is detroit style pizza? Assuming it's not just Little Caesars.

good food scene in Detroit, btw, though not sure how it is in covid.

Roughly it seems to be a pan pizza, typically cooked in a rectangular pan. Kind of like a sicilian square but the crust seems more moist and chewy (but still fried crisp on the edge/bottom).

Sauce added on top of cheese seems to be a common thread, as is the use of brick cheese, but the Michigan-based chain that I usually order from does neither--sauce is located underneath the shredded mozzarella.

My favorite option pizza from them takes it in a Chicago direction though...switching out the classic pepperoni for italian sausage and giardiniera (which they stock in my local locations, but maybe not outside the Chicago area...have to call to order it as it doesn't show in the online topping list).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Many of the local Italian bakeries in the Detroit area would sell them as take and bake in disposable foil pans. I'd always add a little more cheese and toppings like caramelized onions but they did the heavy lifting and it made an easy dinner. I still laugh that this is now a thing nationally.

Then there's "Windsor style" pizza. The defining characteristic is shredded pepperoni. ?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's delicious. I think it's similar to a table condiment in some Asian countries, a splash of sauce here or a splash of acidity there as the consumer sees fit.

I like it because of the liquid texture, it's adding heat and acidity without seeming like you slathered your plate with thick hot sauce.
This is why NC BBQ sauce is the best.

that’s the correct bread to meat ratio. Nothing worse than a burger with a bun that is twice as thick as the patty.
If you're not using Martin's Potato Rolls on smashburgers, you're doing it wrong. (Kaiser roll for steakhouse style burgers, though.)

What I came to post:

Does anyone have a pressure canner? I really want one to can large batches of stock, meat sauce, etc.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
basically thick Sicilian-style pizza but greasier.

I think that's about right The inner crust tends to be soft and chewy and the crispness is much more of a "fried in oil" crisp than a baked crisp outer crust. More buttered toast than fresh baguette or crispy cracker.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Cheese also needs to be piled up right to the edge so it melts, runs down under the edge of the crust, and crisps up.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_2403.jpg

Salmon w/ browned butter leeks on top and browned butter cauliflower underneath. I'm a big believer in browned butter. The Keller way is the way for salmon -- hot pan (browned butter), skin side down, sear then cover and steam/poach through, no turn God forbid! Romano beans for crunch.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that's about right The inner crust tends to be soft and chewy and the crispness is much more of a "fried in oil" crisp than a baked crisp outer crust. More buttered toast than fresh baguette or crispy cracker.
Your post was more precise i was just trying to offer a starting point of conceptualization. I believe another key identifier for Detroit style 'za is not merely the presence of pepperoni but it's upwardly concave nature.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1459319

Salmon w/ browned butter leeks on top and browned butter cauliflower underneath. I'm a big believer in browned butter. The Keller way is the way for salmon -- hot pan (browned butter), skin side down, sear then cover and steam/poach through, no turn God forbid! Romano beans for crunch.

Very true - you have to have a hot pan, with a good amount of hot oil and browned butter. In fact, I just finished making a dinner of Truite Sautee Amandine myself.

There is something special about a perfectly cooked fish.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
feeeeesh. I like to salt an hour before cooking, rinse off salt, then lightly cook.

stole that move from an Iron Chef who is probably cashing out by including common fish prepping techniques from Japan in a cookbook.

that Nobu guy really had the right idea with miso anything fish..

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joel Robuchon also had a famous miso-marinated black cod with crunchy cucumber and a yuzu infusion. Always used to order it at his place in London.

Damn I miss eating out!

?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joel Robuchon also had a famous miso-marinated black cod with crunchy cucumber and a yuzu infusion. Always used to order it at his place in London.

Damn I miss eating out!

?

Absolutely, one of the things I can't wait to have again is fine seafood dining. We can still go to restaurants, but it's just not the same right now.

I love French cuisine, so I prefer dipping my fish in salted flour before sauteing. There are so many ways to make tasty dishes with just a bit of garnishment, but butter or substitutes are always a good choice.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't just salt, also sugar. Been doing that the last year and it really makes a huge difference with salmon no matter how you do it. It's spectacular when I fire up the KJ and do it crispy skin style on the cast iron griddle.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't just salt, also sugar. Been doing that the last year and it really makes a huge difference with salmon no matter how you do it. It's spectacular when I fire up the KJ and do it crispy skin style on the cast iron griddle.

Oh, I can see that working quite well. I'll have to try it with my next salmon dish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads