• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That was like point, point, score, point, point, extra point, extra point, score, WTF, Miller Highlife, negative 10 billion points, game over.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the champagne of beers yo. And 8 bucks for a 12 pack of long necks.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I know. I try not to be this way and yet, ugh, it's ****** beer. Great-looking food. ****** beer. But I shouldn't sound like such a judgmental prick, judging you on your ******, ******, ****** ass beer.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TBF the tacos looked pretty ******, but tasted good though, so the beer's not that out of place lol. The secret ingredient for my queso is MSG.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Going to try this tomorrow night.

Legit recipe for Ratatouille. Cook off?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBF the tacos looked pretty ******, but tasted good though, so the beer's not that out of place lol. The secret ingredient for my queso is MSG.

That reminds me, I actually tried some of that sodium citrate someone mentioned in this thread a month or so ago and its ******* awesome. Have only tried with cheddar so far but I can't imagine doing queso dip or similar without it again. I probably need to get some MSG to really send it over the top next time.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just cut up some fresh fruit to enjoy while watching the sunset on the beach (first night of a month long beach house vacation, which I am super pumped about). I got lucky and picked out a great cantaloupe (which i think is technically musk melon), honeydew, and watermelon.

I have determined that, at its best, honeydew is the superior melon. Problem is finding a good one is exceedingly rare.

That being said cherries are my favorite for beach snacking during the day, interspersed with pistachios. Cherries have been particularly great this year.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just cut up some fresh fruit to enjoy while watching the sunset on the beach (first night of a month long beach house vacation, which I am super pumped about). I got lucky and picked out a great cantaloupe (which i think is technically musk melon), honeydewand watermelon.

I have determined that, at its best, honeydew is the superior melon. Problem is finding a good one is exceedingly rare.

That being said cherries are my favorite for beach snacking during the day, interspersed with pistachios. Cherries have been particularly great this year.
Enjoy. We are starting a week long beach house vacation tomorrow, although it's only about 30 minutes away from our house. I'd call it a "staycation" if that word didn't make me irrationally angry. We also just bought what has turned out to be probably the sweetest (and most gigantic) cantaloupe I've ever tasted.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoy. We are starting a week long beach house vacation tomorrow, although it's only about 30 minutes away from our house. I'd call it a "staycation" if that word didn't make me irrationally angry. We also just bought what has turned out to be probably the sweetest (and most gigantic) cantaloupe I've ever tasted.

We are about 90 minutes away, but then need to take a 30 minute boat ride. We have rented the same place every year for a while so it sort of feels like a second home. The ferry ride makes it seem like its further away than it is. I can feel myself unwind on the ride over.

If the maintenance and insurance of owning a house on a beach didn't freak me out so much, i would strongly consider buying our own vacation house/rental property. We love it. Eventually we will probably get some sort of lakehouse, but not in this market.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ate out for the first time in a while. Had Tomales Bay oysters and Ling Cod with a potato and green tomato cake.

IMG_2227.jpg

Two people, four glasses of wine, $200 with tip. It isn't getting any cheaper to keep the good restaurants open.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yeah you simply must measure out your ingredients. Baking is a chemistry and you'll find rather quickly that a cup is meaningless.
All cooking is chemistry.
Prissy ***** on the internet like to say things like “cooking is art, baking is science” and imply that if you don’t measure everything down to the last atomic particle or deviate at all from the canon recipes your kitchen will explode.
As NY noted: dough a bit too wet? Add a bit of flour. Too dry? A bit more water. Don’t have OO flour? Use regular all-purpose or whatever is in the pantry.
That **** is flour, water, yeast, salt, maybe a bit of fat. It’s going to taste fine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yup. The majority of times I make a dough of any kind I end up adding a splash or two of water or a little extra flour. You just toss the basic recipe into the mixing bowl and then tweak for current weather conditions, etc.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All cooking is chemistry.
Prissy ***** on the internet like to say things like “cooking is art, baking is science” and imply that if you don’t measure everything down to the last atomic particle or deviate at all from the canon recipes your kitchen will explode.
As NY noted: dough a bit too wet? Add a bit of flour. Too dry? A bit more water. Don’t have OO flour? Use regular all-purpose or whatever is in the pantry.
That **** is flour, water, yeast, salt, maybe a bit of fat. It’s going to taste fine.
Sure but like when making a salad or whatever if you like tomatoes you can just throw in a handful more. When baking bread you can't really go i like yeasty flavors so ill just add a tablespoon of yeast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads