• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's joking. A 12ga would nearly obliterate a hare.
I’m not, size 4 steel shot is what’s usually used. Gets a goose down from about 10m and a hare up to 20m will be killed by the shock to the nerve system. Unless you shoot it quite close you don’t even need to pick pellets out of the meat.

Not to be confused with buckshot, which at size 4 would indeed probably obliterate it. But I’ve yet to see those shells in these parts, if they aren’t forbidden like brenneker type slugs.

@NakedYoga as well.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I’m not, size 4 steel shot is what’s usually used. Gets a goose down from about 10m and a hare up to 20m will be killed by the shock to the nerve system. Unless you shoot it quite close you don’t even need to pick pellets out of the meat.

Not to be confused with buckshot, which at size 4 would indeed probably obliterate it. But I’ve yet to see those shells in these parts, if they aren’t forbidden like brenneker type slugs.

@NakedYoga as well.

The only time I've seen #4 buckshot is as part of a self-defense load.

The difference is crazy: #4 bird shot is 3.3mm diameter and 3.3 grains. #4 buck is 6.1mm diameter and 20.7 grains. Why do they have two different sizes for the same number?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

The difference is crazy: #4 bird shot is 3.3mm diameter and 3.3 grains. #4 buck is 6.1mm diameter and 20.7 grains. Why do they have two different sizes for the same number?
Vanity sizing.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@NakedYoga as well.

Get a .22, use snake shot rounds if you need the spread.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no clue why that is, although everything gun related probably has roots in some weird historical thing.

mis @JLibourel still around? He probably knows why, or knows somebody who does.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a .22, use snake shot rounds if you need the spread.
If I wanted to snipe hares i could, the .22 would indeed do the job. But, that’s not how it works. Hare season here runs from mid September until the 31st of December. In some part they are already rare (thank living in a densely populated country that has seen some of the most intensive agriculture in the world) so you only take out a few after doing a rough count with night vision. this is done through driving them out of the field with several hunters and dogs, with people on point at the ends.

In some parts there are plenty (I’m lucky in that a good friend has hunting rights in an area that’s great for hare) so the same procedure applies, minus the counting. Although you still want to keep several alive for next year. Not too many though, otherwise the farmer who owns the land will start to complain.

I made this photo last December helping out another friend, so I didn’t carry a gun. This is exceptionally large with a twenty man/woman line, but it gets the point across. There are many hares there, so in this manner they are culled to a point where they do not do too much damage to the crops.
FAE85E01-2E25-4028-A7DB-4CCB0CCA59AB.jpeg

A day like that nets about 40-50 hares (multiple fields like that) which gets distributed amongst the participants, so about two per person).

safe to say hunting culture differentiates a lot between here and there.

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and about cookery. I’m learning all kinds of new crap due to having to live on a microwave for another 1,5 weeks.
Our new kitchen will be installed on the 19th, so until then it’s camping style in our own house (with a lot of take out/restaurant nights of course)

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growing up we had spring hares, which are less of a rabbit and more of a cross between a squirrel and a kangaroo. The method of hunting as teens was to get as drunk as possible and gun the pickup over open farm fields at night. Catch them in a spotlight and they freeze, so you'd dive off the truck and just wring their necks. Assuming you hadn't broken your own.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Growing up we had spring hares, which are less of a rabbit and more of a cross between a squirrel and a kangaroo. The method of hunting as teens was to get as drunk as possible and gun the pickup over open farm fields at night. Catch them in a spotlight and they freeze, so you'd dive off the truck and just wring their necks. Assuming you hadn't broken your own.
They do freeze in spotlights, i still find that cool to see. But diving out of a pickup? I’d have to be a teenager for that.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top of the jeep, spotlight attached to cigarette lighter and a .22 hunting small game brings back memories.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Blue bowl has dough rising for focaccia, some potatoes I’m twice baking, small pan has garlic/herb infused olive oil for focaccia, some farmers market corn and lastly, a prime porterhouse that my fleabag supermarket had on sale for 7 or 8.99 on the cast iron

1B35AC67-1B65-4A30-8664-C352EDE445A4.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads