• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to cook with my mom yesterday. We made pot roast, polenta, and a stew that she makes with cucuzza, which we grow in the vegetable garden.

My mother is a fanastic cook (minus the fact that she prefers her proteins medium well). She uses no recipes, typical old school Italian American cooking, although she was born here.

She has her way of doing things but is also open to hearing about the food science stuff I am into, at least in a broad sense.

One thing that we got to talking about, which i have been thinking about since, is that a lot of what she makes is based on the idea of making something delicious out of a frugal ingredients.

It made me wonder... is something fundamentally lost by taking these recipes and using expensive ingredients? For example, for the pot roast i got a nice piece of prime brisket. Not super fancy, but fancy enough, and certainly not what she would have used.

The end result was delicious, but is this cheating? Am I watering down the skill involved with doing this well? Is something lost in the process? Have I lost something along the way?

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's more about the cut of meat than the quality.

Though I'd be interested to try actual coq au vin rather than the modern poulet au vin. (I'm imagining myself saying this in Fraiser's voice.) The rooster can stand up to (and needs) a longer cooking time.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's technique and there's quality of ingredients. There are also humble ingredients that, while affordable, are still of fine quality. We used to have an East European nanny for our kids and she was a remarkable cook who made all kinds of seemingly simple "country" type dishes that were astonishingly good. Now, it took me a while, but I finally realized she was going through olive oil and butter like a madwoman. Which helped explain why everything was so good - although she is an excellent cook as well. So. The end result was delicious but was it cheating?

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree quality and cut of meat shouldn't be conflated. Brisket historically was not as "prized" a cut as it is today and seems appropriate for the application. Either way, you can get brisket of more or less quality, with quality having more to do with the provenience of the produce or animal.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
One of the (many) things that pisses me off about the whole "foodie" thing is stuff I used to buy really cheap is now far more expensive. Brisket was traditionally a very inexpensive cut. Same with short ribs, flap steak, skirt, etc. ****, even beef shanks are not exactly cheap anymore.

Also, I've always felt filet mignon is way overrated and just social signaling for a lot of people. Yes, it's very tender if cooked properly (which is not a given,) but it so lacks flavour it's traditionally sauces to hell an back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads