• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We got big bucket of popeyes and biscuits for everyone last night. I made some greens to with the meal. Roasted some marshmallows for s’mores on the firepit (gas) afterwards. Nightcap with some drinks after the kids went to bed. Very nice night.

With the corollary that I didn’t grow up with fried chicken, i think that Popeyes is great. I really do. I’d like to be able to say that I make my own fried chicken, but deep down i think i know it wouldnt be as good.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Need to know brand of fireglass.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We got big bucket of popeyes and biscuits for everyone last night. I made some greens to with the meal. Roasted some marshmallows for s’mores on the firepit (gas) afterwards. Nightcap with some drinks after the kids went to bed. Very nice night.

With the corollary that I didn’t grow up with fried chicken, i think that Popeyes is great. I really do. I’d like to be able to say that I make my own fried chicken, but deep down i think i know it wouldnt be as good.
As a southerner I've only deep fried food once in my life which makes me a huge outlier (agedashi tofu which was good). I think deep frying isn't really worth it at home if you can't do it outside because your house is gonna stank ass so hard. And then you have a bunch of oil left over.

However I can pass on a southerner's secret to good fried chicken: batter the chicken in a brown-paper shopping bag.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted my homemade copycat Popeye’s chicken tenders and was basically ridiculed here. **** was hard, messy and took time (twss!).

And yes edina, I fried outside because I did it once inside and it was too much. Outside was great.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or just go to Popeyes Chicken.
Your Southern (enough) where do you stand on CFA: is it Fried Chicken or merely fried chicken?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Southern (enough) where do you stand on CFA: is it Fried Chicken or merely fried chicken?
Fried chicken requires the skin. CFA is merely fried chicken although it's a really good fried chicken sandwich and waffle fries.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You guys have to try the slow roasted duck method, btw. It's very simple and hardly any work. Just split the duck, removing spine, wing tips, and trim excess fat/skin. Lay down a nice bed of aromatics in oven pan. Prick duck skin all over for fat to render. Really prick the hell out of it. Season (I used S&P and Fox Point blend from Penzey's this time but I'd say S&P and herbs of your choice and you can't go wrong.) Put in pre-heated 475 over for 10-15 minutes, remove and prick all over a second time. Cover tight in foil and bake for three hours at 275. Very carefully, as it's fall apart tender now, place duck halves on foiled baking sheet and broil until the skin is crispy.

That's it. Serve as you see fit, sauce as you see fit.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grocery store had veal as a special. Made veal piccata, and it was delicious.
I'm enjoying all the weird specials. Leg of lamb was cheaper than ground beef. (Though my wife has decided she doesn't like lamb. I still have 4 lbs left.) Wegmans overbought cheap legs and good thighs, so I stocked up on legs for $0.69/lb (nice) to make stock and thighs to make soups/stews.

Really prick the hell out of it.
I'll bite... TWSS

Van Veen said:
I'll bite...
TWSS

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Lamb stew is my soul food. also, we got some good fried chicken over here.

Might have to cook something tonight, all this food talk is making me hungry.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Okay, not my cooking. But relevant.
Fried chicken. Kfc - Ken's fried chicken.
1591107810471.jpg
Look at the crisp. 1591107821230.jpg
Fried chicken from a master tempura chef. Crispy, juicy.

And for @Luigi_M
Here is the cheese eggplant.
1591107834571.jpg
1591107854600.jpg
But the tempura vegetables? Bro...
1591107860067.jpg
Ken's fried chicken is the best in town.
Simple. No herbs or spices. Just fried chicken. Add lemon and pepper as you like.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not even salt and pepper? Like most Southerners, my grandmother's fried chicken was quite clearly the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics