• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, King Arthur flour wont ship until like May. Not down to buy a 25lb bag at costco either, would just end up wasting

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Need an opinion or two....bought a 2 lb chuck roast I'm going to be using to make Japanese Curry, but got home and realized I'm out of beef stock.

Think demi would be a good substitute? Or would that interfere with the flavor of the Japanese roux packets too much?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In some recipies I like substituting vegetable stock, usually chili.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Other than the company mentioned in the article from @Omega Male are there any other gourmet food service companies trying to offload inventory

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm some recipies I like substituting vegetable stock, usually chili.

If it was any other recipe, subbing demi for beef stock would be a no brainer. But in this case, probably best to play it safe. Have no veggie stock, but I will use chicken stock tonight.

I don't want to risk having the demi overpower the sweet flavor of the Japanese roux.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did some homemade pasta, ordered a pasta machine before the great lockdown after doing a course at eatly. Was very good and kids loved it. I will get pics, but highly recommend. Now have to perfect the pizza dough once the 00 flour comes for the rock box

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made a double batch of meat sauce (5.5 qts) plus 4 lbs of shredded chicken yesterday. That should get me through a few days without cooking. (It's not the cooking I don't like... it's the cleaning.)

The shredded chicken is for stir fries, salads, etc.

Hopefully this will get me better at batching meals so stop eating out so much when I go back to work.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought everyone on SF used dish washing machine, hmmmmm??

Meal prepping in general is a good idea IMO.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Making Marcella Hazan's bolognese right now. Really don't want to wait 3 hours while it simmers...

brokencycle

Reaction score
I simmer my sauce for 8+ hours, honestly. I also find adding garlic at two different points -- typically with all the other ingredients and then about an hour or two before I finish simmering -- adds to it.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I simmer my sauce for 8+ hours, honestly. I also find adding garlic at two different points -- typically with all the other ingredients and then about an hour or two before I finish simmering -- adds to it.
I don’t even see garlic in the recipe, am I missing something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads